• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AOL integrated antivirus/etc...how to get rid of it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

A friend has AOHell, and she says the integrated stuff slows the computer down horribly (I've seen it). She wanted to know if there's any way to get rid of the AOL crapware. her ISP is Verizon, but for some reason she uses AOL's 'connection manager" and crap (she has an AOL email address so I think that's why she still has the software onboard).

Seeing as she's a bit scared of dumping the AOL software wholesale, is there any way to just get rid of its integrated antivirus/etc? (if deleting that fails to fix it, I'll broach the subject of dumping AOL entirely...Verizon gives her a couple email addresses anyway.

You don't need AOL to use AOL mail nor to use an AOL name to instant message.

You can configure Outlook to use AOL, or you can simply go to AOL.com and SIGN IN to the webmail system.

And you can download AIM from AOL.com, using the old name to log in to AIM once installed. They do offer AIM 5.9 on the website if you don't like AIM 6+.

Alternatively, AIM Express can be used via AOL.com, which is a browser-based AIM.

Edit:

Sounds like it's Security Edition, too. Get rid of it altogether anyway. Install 9.0 Optimized instead if you have to. And AOL VR (Vista-Ready) sucks because it won't let you choose other applications to use as the default browser/mail client.

Back