• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Purepower 400w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackersabbath

I inherited this from my brother yesterday along with a Xaser V case. It has 18a on the 12v rail and he gave me a 20-24pin adapter for powering up the motherboard. He had his C2D 6300, 3 SATA hard drives, 2 DVD burners, 5 80mm fans, fan controller(came with case) EVGA 680i motherboard, 7600gt and 1gb of Corsair XMS2 C4's running on the PSU. I am thinking about getting a 7600gt, Biostar 520-A2 motherboard, 3800x2 windsor, single DVD burner and a single 160gb SATA hard drive. I will also be running 2 or 3 fans in it. Think the PSU will be fine or should I get the 430w Thermaltake that is 40 bucks on newegg (he is running the same psu with his 6300 now with 4gb of ballistix)

I would say that 400w psu would handle the system that you have in mind. Though I am not sure about reliability of tt purepower. Is that psu that came with the case?.

If you looking for new psu get at least psu with efficiency of 80%. It's not like efficiency matters but newer better psu have efficiency of 80%.

I think it is the same model that came with the case but needed to be replaced when he first got it the psu was doa. The only thing I am worried about is the fact that it has a huge 5v rail(40a i think). It has a single 12v rail with 18a which the 7600gt is rated for. I also looked closer at the PSU yesterday and it is rated at 420w max. I am going to talk to my sister in law and see if I can hook it up in her system to test it with a multimeter without zapping myself to death lol

Back