• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware M15x and M17x Notebooks with Nvidia 8800GTX Graphics Revealed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

EDIT: Alienware made an official preview of the new laptops. Again, a link over to notebook review.

The rest is the "unofficial" preview from the website slip-up....

I'm just pointing to the discussion over at notebookreview.com. In short, Alienware had these new models up for a short time yesterday, but have already taken them down. Assumed that they are going to be released soon enough. The specs are killer for notebooks :D

Someone people have posted screen shots of the config pages. Here's the 15.4" version. There's also a 17" version... see page six at the link above.
m15xaby1.jpg

Last edited:
Neat that they are doing that, but remember: The mobile version are much slower than their desktop counterparts.

My 7900GTX Go in my laptop performed about the same than my 7800GT did in my desktop.

I just don't see a purpose in a gaming laptop honestly. A fraction of the performance for a substantial price increase. There are plenty alternatives for a mobile lan party pc with much better performance. If you travel a ton, maybe, but I travel quite a bit, and when I'm travelling the last thing that's on my mind is playing video games.

The power they can pack into laptops is spectacular now, but a gigantic 10lb laptop kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

I've got an insanely fast Lenovo and a dell c400 with a p3@1200mhz that I got for free, I find myself almost always using the dell because it fits in my backpack and weighs 3lbs.

I just don't see a purpose in a gaming laptop honestly. A fraction of the performance for a substantial price increase. There are plenty alternatives for a mobile lan party pc with much better performance. If you travel a ton, maybe, but I travel quite a bit, and when I'm travelling the last thing that's on my mind is playing video games.

The power they can pack into laptops is spectacular now, but a gigantic 10lb laptop kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

I've got an insanely fast Lenovo and a dell c400 with a p3@1200mhz that I got for free, I find myself almost always using the dell because it fits in my backpack and weighs 3lbs.

I can think of many reasons
1. You can afford it
2. You are a college student and don't want to take a huge case and widescreen monitor
3. You want to be able to play Crysis on high settings on a laptop
4. Bragging rights
5. HUGE portability potential. So much easier to take a laptop to a LAN than a desktop.

If people didn't want gaming laptops...then why are they still being developed?

But aside from the above...

+$500....ouch!

I agree, I use my laptop all the time. I can only afford one computer, and I'm always out and about so a laptop made sense. My internet at my house sucks, so I bring my "gaming" laptop to my buddies house and use his to play TF2 and BF2, makes it really easy.
Not to mention at the last lan I went to, all I had to do was plug in my ethernet, power, mouse, and external hard drive (for all the good stuff you dl @ lans) and I was done. It was also awesome when the circuit tripped and everyones computer went down, but I was still playing.
I will get a desktop one day, but until I'm done with my training, my laptop does just fine.

I can think of many reasons
1. You can afford it
2. You are a college student and don't want to take a huge case and widescreen monitor
3. You want to be able to play Crysis on high settings on a laptop
4. Bragging rights
5. HUGE portability potential. So much easier to take a laptop to a LAN than a desktop.

If people didn't want gaming laptops...then why are they still being developed?

But aside from the above...

+$500....ouch!

Don't recall saying people didn't want them. Oh that's because I didn't. I just said that I don't see the point in one. I just find myself being a semi-practical person. I just must not see the appeal that others do.

Don't recall saying people didn't want them. Oh that's because I didn't. I just said that I don't see the point in one. I just find myself being a semi-practical person. I just must not see the appeal that others do.

well a laptop is extremely practical, as it allows you to game just about anywhere.

Well in that case then, your post didn't really add anything to the content of the thread. That is like me going into this forum and saying overclocking is stupid. Obviously it appeals to some people...actually alot of people. Same goes for gaming laptops.
Goodluck.

--

Does anybody know the form factor of the 8800M GTX? I/II/III/IV? I wonder if it uses the same FF as the 8600M GT? MMM :D

Well in that case then, your post didn't really add anything to the content of the thread. That is like me going into this forum and saying overclocking is stupid. Obviously it appeals to some people...actually alot of people. Same goes for gaming laptops.
Goodluck.

--

Does anybody know the form factor of the 8800M GTX? I/II/III/IV? I wonder if it uses the same FF as the 8600M GT? MMM :D

I wouldn't say his post didn't add anything, he is entitled to his opinion. Maybe someone else thought the same thing too, but another post changed his mind.

I hope its a mxm II slot, but I highly doubt it. it would be nice to upgrade from my 8600gt to this though. I wonder if its similar to the 8800gt (reduced power usage/heat...).

hummm according to this post someone called alienware and they said it will be MXMII, that would be sweet (I haven't read the whole 5 pages yet).

Last edited:
On their 17" model, they had a SLI 8800m GTX upgrade option for + $1000, and thats from a single 8700m GT. Thats about the cost for a dual-8800GTX desktop SLI setup. I used to think being portable was cool, but then as soon as GoW and Crysis came out, yea it kinda went downhill. Personally I thought I'd be taking my laptop to a lot of LANs, but I didn't end up going to many. Also as far as bragging rights go, I'd rather have a killer desktop and money in my pocket, then have a killer laptop that gets smoked by a mediocore desktop and a lot less money in my pocket.

Back