• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Awesome Q6600, high temps, what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well the only thing I was thinking, considering I already have the Zalman fan bracket installed, and hence don't need to take the motherboard out for this, would be a Zalman Reserator XT watercooling kit. I'm not however sure how good these are with quads, no real reviews of the thing out there sadly.

I've never thought too highly of water cooling.
Way too much risk for very little benefit. It's not like you're going to get temperatures hovering 5 or 6 degrees above zero...
The most you can hope for is about 10 degrees cooler than air. The average water cooler will get you temps in the high 50s to low 60s under full load for an overclocked system. You could achieve the same with a 120 Extreme on air...so why risk the water?
Water makes sense for people living in very hot climates without air conditioning...but other than that, it's highly overrated (and over-hyped).

I already had a IFX-14 and wasn't impressed by it, and that's 120 EX performance albiet larger and more cumbersome to handle.
I don't know about the IFX-14, but as far as the 120 Extreme, it can't be beat. Every review out there has shown it to be the best solution for air cooling.

I don't know if you've seen this particular roundup before, but it's a good one that I refer to myself:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=3005&p=4

If the Zalman 9700NT clip was stronger, I'm sure I could shave some more points off as it's not pushing down overly hard.
Well, there's an easy way to test that.
Turn your system on its side...and see if it makes a difference.

Way too much risk for very little benefit. It's not like you're going to get temperatures hovering 5 or 6 degrees above zero...
The most you can hope for is about 10 degrees cooler than air. The average water cooler will get you temps in the high 50s to low 60s under full load for an overclocked system. You could achieve the same with a 120 Extreme on air...so why risk the water?
Water makes sense for people living in very hot climates without air conditioning...but other than that, it's highly overrated (and over-hyped).

I disagree with this 100%...

While you might be able to get close to water cooling temps with air, and thats doubtful,the main reason I use water is for silence...you just cant get that with air cooling on an overclocked system....you need lots of air, and that means lots of noise in most cases....

Also, I no longer have to worry if my system is gonna suck my cat in as he walks by...:)

I don't know about the IFX-14, but as far as the 120 Extreme, it can't be beat. Every review out there has shown it to be the best solution for air cooling.

I don't know if you've seen this particular roundup before, but it's a good one that I refer to myself:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=3005&p=4

Well, there's an easy way to test that.
Turn your system on its side...and see if it makes a difference.

Well the only downside with water I guess is leaks. Not sure about the noise free operation, high performance water still needs fans to cool the radiator(s).

I'm sure temps would be in their mid 50's on proper water with this overclock. Sadly there's not many all in one water kits out there, one's that look good that is and don't have to be located within the case as a part here and a part there geez it's all over the case with no spare room anymore.

Would love to use this Zalman waterblock to go with my case (either seperately or as part of the Reserator XT) as it would match my case.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/WB5_eng.PDF

Guess what, it reads my original e6300 purchased right at launch as a Pentium M as well.
Exactly...
So like I said...it's old, outdated software which can't be relied upon.

Bottom line is, I stand by what I said. There is no perfect software reading, and your assertion that Coretemp is accurate to within a fraction of a degree is wrong.
I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time with this.
It's not a difficult concept to grasp. The software simply READS what the sensor is showing. There's no "calculation" or "interpretation" involved. If the sensor says 45 degrees, then that's exactly what Coretemp will show as well. There's no guesswork involved.

It's no different than picking up a thermometer in your hand and looking at it. Do you "interpret" the results? Do you make any calculations?
No, you simply read it.
If your thermometer shows that it's 20 degrees, then that's what it is. Plain and simple.

Each core has its own thermal sensor...and Intel has released to the public the methodology by which to access those sensor readings. Nobody has to guess...nobody has to calculate anything...and nobody has to estimate. The software developer simply issues a single assembler instruction and reads back the result. That's all there is to it.

I disagree with this 100%...

While you might be able to get close to water cooling temps with air, and thats doubtful,the main reason I use water is for silence...you just cant get that with air cooling on an overclocked system....you need lots of air, and that means lots of noise in most cases....

Water cooling is by no means "silent". That's a myth.

And with a properly built system, you can achieve near-silent performance on air cooling at very low fan speed, or eliminate the CPU fan altogether. Your temps will be a few degrees higher, but still well within safety margins.

Right now my entire system generates 18 dB. I'm running my CPU fan at 950 RPM, so I can't even hear it when I'm sitting three feet away. I have one case fan at the back of the system, high quality and virtually silent. The end result is a near-silent overclocked quad system without any of the risks associated with water cooling. And this is with an old Zalman 7000Cu. Once I get my Ultra 120 Extreme, I'll drop the temperature by an additional 10-15 degrees.

It just depends if your sensors are calibrated :)

And the calibration is done through software. Because CPU's use Digital Thermal Sensors. Looking at a thermometer, you are seeing the effects of temperature change on mercury, it is physics and it is always accurate. Not so with digital.

:)

Anyways sorry for drifting off topic (mind you I was kinda pulled off topic :p).

Water cooling is by no means "silent". That's a myth.

Whatever dude, I'm sitting right next to "the myth"....and its silent.....

So please, peddle your rumors somewhere else.

EDIT: Just for the record, my water cooling system was custom built by Viper John..a name many here recognize.
So when I say its silent, you can be assured it is...don't believe me, just ask him.

If you don't believe him, I cant help you...

Last edited:
Back