• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making a personal home page

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief

Is there a way to make my own home page that when I open ie 5.5 it displays the page that I made. ?Does ms frontpage do this?

This will probably get moved: more like Programming (HTML) or Other Software.

However: there are many programs that will write html for you, pretty much: FrontPage, Dreamweaver, and more. Or you can even write it in notepad if you know the code.

I started with this tutorial here to get the basics down.

If you have Microsoft Word, you can make your page in that too. ZDNet has a program called Page1 or Page One that is really easy to use and also free.

Thanks --- this might sound dumb but once I get this made how do I tell IE where the home page is located and will others be able to see/access my page?

Now you are getting into more difficult territory!

If you want to set a page on your local pc, not published to the internet, its easy: in your browser: -FILE-OPEN- and browse to the file, and open it. Then (in IE) -TOOLS-INTERNET OPTIONS- and you'll get a window, at the top will be a selection for Home Page, select USE CURRENT.

If you want to publish a page on the net you have to make some choices: you need to publish the page on a server: you can use your pc as a server if you have a full-time connection, or you can get space on your ISP (most give some with your account) or a free host site.

I use my own pc as my server, but that can have its own issues: security, etc.

Back