Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Show us pics of your Surround sound setup.

I've noticed that a few people rave about 7.1 surround sound or even 5.1 or 4.1. We can could go head to head on what sound card is better, but lets see how you're taking advantage of your sound card. Either X-fi, or SB live, or even the C-media chip set. Lets see some pictures of your setup to show our appreciation on how much we love our games.

I'll start it off. I'm sure many of your all ready seen this, but It would be cool to see an analog 7.1 setup unlike mine, which is DTS Dolby Digital Surround, via HT Claro 8788 chip set.

Lets see what you got...
    Attached Images Attached Images          

I'll start it off. I'm sure many of your all ready seen this, but It would be cool to see an analog 7.1 setup unlike mine, which is DTS Dolby Digital Surround, via HT Claro 8788 chip set.
    your setup supports DTS, your amplifier is very much analogue i can assure you. i know my post prompted you to post this, its so obvious. my amp supports dolby TrueHD 7.1 and DTS: master audio 7.1 as well (192khz, 24bit DIGITAL) as well it also supports 7.1 uncompressed PCM sound via hdmi, which my ps3 is particularly happy with.

before you try to make distinctions between 'analogue' and 'digital' surround systems, you should try to understand what a digital format is, and understand that before it is amplified, all digital formats are converted in to analogue to drive the amplifier stages. there for, once there a digital format has been uncompressed and converted in to analogue, it IS analogue, and at that point there's no difference between that and feeding the amp with an analogue source to begin with.

if you want you can add me on msn and we can have a chat about it
    Last edited by james.miller; 11-16-07 at 10:39 AM.
    The HTPC

E2160 @ 2.7ghz | Thermaltake The Orb cooler | Asus p5w-dh | 4Gb DDR-II pc6400| 1.00Tb of WD AAKS storage | Asus Xonar D2| 360 HD-DVD drive
    Pioneer bd204 bluray sata drive | Corsair HX620w PSU | BFG GeForce 8800GTX | Silverstone SST-LC17b
    | 22" dell e228wfp | 40" 1080p SONY 40w2000

ONKYO TX-SR805 | bi-amped mission m71i fronts | eltax center & bipolar rears
    2x 12" custom built subwoofers powered by a denon pma-100m | PS3 with linux and a 250gb 3.5" internal drive | Nintendo wii

I dare not take a pic of my desk right now with it being as messy as it is, but here is a representation I made a good while back:

I have the rears suspended by those poles which sit behind me. Works perfectly. Where my desk is, they don't get in the way, but where it used to be I would have to pop them on and off all the time. But I built them to make that easy, it's just a socket that holds the pole to the desk.

EDIT: BTW, it's nothing fancy, just my Z-5300e's fed by an X-fi. Sounds good enough for me though.
    PLEASE MOVE YOUR CLASSIFIED AD TO SOLD ONCE IT HAS COMPLETED (Click here to learn how)

2x HTPCs / 3x Desktops / 1x 10TB UnRAID Server

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

"With every upgrade I become less clever." -Socket eh?¯\(º_o)/¯

I have surround, but since my speakers are not setup for surround, it's not "true" surround.

I have a JVC RX-5020V which has DTS & Dolby Digital Prologic II, 5 satellites and 1 sub, plus a pair of custom made cabinets with a pair of 12" Electro Bass woofers, 5" Pioneer Mids and Piezo tweeters. Nothing is hooked up since i've moved around so much there's no point in hooking it up only to take it apart again. I'm moving yet again so after i get settled in my new place, then i'll post pics.

<MEGA-O>
    ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 /i7 4790K De-Lid @ 4.7GHz
    16GB GSKILL Sniper F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR @ 2400
    H2O=XSPC Rasa Black / XSPC RX360 / MCP-655 D5 / MCRes
    Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB x2=Raid~0 / WD VelociRaptor 300GB
    Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD WF3 @ 1100/1500 w/ModBios
    Sony AD-7220S / Seagate 500GB / Lite On LH-16A1S
    SilverStone Zeus SST-ZM1350 1350w
    CM Cosmos 1000 / Win8.1 x64
    ** Under TITLE II, SECTION 210.340 it is legal to overclock **

Quote Originally Posted by james.miller View Post
    your setup supports DTS, your amplifier is very much analogue i can assure you. i know my post prompted you to post this, its so obvious. my amp supports dolby TrueHD 7.1 and DTS: master audio 7.1 as well (192khz, 24bit DIGITAL) as well it also supports 7.1 uncompressed PCM sound via hdmi, which my ps3 is particularly happy with.

before you try to make distinctions between 'analogue' and 'digital' surround systems, you should try to understand what a digital format is, and understand that before it is amplified, all digital formats are converted in to analogue to drive the amplifier stages. there for, once there a digital format has been uncompressed and converted in to analogue, it IS analogue, and at that point there's no difference between that and feeding the amp with an analogue source to begin with.

if you want you can add me on msn and we can have a chat about it
    So far no pics from you..yet...

And I do understand surround sound...(Look at my setup) thats what the DAC is for...silly... But your setup does not use the DAC, since you're 100&#37; analog...

SO your 192K 24Bit, stuff is not being used at all.

Yes my sound is analog coming out (everyone is), but going in its digital (TOSLINK), unlike yours....

Quote Originally Posted by Joeteck View Post
    So far no pics from you..yet...

And I do understand surround sound...(Look at my setup) thats what the DAC is for...silly... But your setup does not use the DAC, since you're 100&#37; analog...

SO your 192K 24Bit, stuff is not being utilized....

Yes my sound is analog coming out (everyone is), but going in its digital (TOSLINK), unlike yours....

it makes no difference what is going in. if you want to play the silly digital game, like i told you, my ps3 is running hdmi in to my amp. uncompressed 7.1 PCM > toslink. but back in the real world, xonar d2 analogue > ps3 hdmi. music from my d2 is an absolute delight. you'll get pictures when my camera battery is charged. then id appreciate it if you addressed the points I made in the other thread.

thank you
    Last edited by james.miller; 11-16-07 at 02:58 PM.
    The HTPC

E2160 @ 2.7ghz | Thermaltake The Orb cooler | Asus p5w-dh | 4Gb DDR-II pc6400| 1.00Tb of WD AAKS storage | Asus Xonar D2| 360 HD-DVD drive
    Pioneer bd204 bluray sata drive | Corsair HX620w PSU | BFG GeForce 8800GTX | Silverstone SST-LC17b

2x 12" custom built subwoofers powered by a denon pma-100m | PS3 with linux and a 250gb 3.5" internal drive | Nintendo wii

currently no sound card can output DD+, TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio yet, until then I'm not upgrading yet

and when they do, I getting a Onkyo TX-SR705 or the Onkyo TX-SR875 (to take advantage of the REON chip)
    I always tell the truth even when I lie. - scarface
    I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not. - unknown

it makes no difference what is going in. if you want to play the silly digital game, like i told you, my ps3 is running hdmi in to my amp. uncompressed 7.1 PCM > toslink. but back in the real world, xonar d2 analogue > ps3 hdmi. music from my d2 is an absolute delight. you'll get pictures when my camera battery is charged. then id appreciate it if you addressed the points I made in the other thread.

thanks.
    What are you kidding??? Of course it does.... LMFAO!!!!

Let me guess <holding back a big laugh>. How is your DVD player connected to your receiver? RCA (red & white) or Optical or coaxial (looks like another RCA connection, either black or orange)? And if you tell me it makes no difference what goes in. Then..... You need to read up.... Cause you're way off...

And this was so poesed to be a cool nice thread... all you had to do was post pictures, and no jabbing would of happened...

EDIT:
    Also, HDMI only passes 2.0 digital audio, and not full-blown 5.1 surround sound audio as most may think....
    Last edited by Joeteck; 11-16-07 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreek View Post
    currently no sound card can output DD+, TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio yet, until then I'm not upgrading yet

and when they do, I getting a Onkyo TX-SR705 or the Onkyo TX-SR875 (to take advantage of the REON chip)

True, they can only do 5.1, But I'll take it...

Let me guess <holding back a big laugh>. How is your DVD player connected to your receiver? RCA (red & white) or Optical or coaxial (looks like another RCA connection, either black or orange)? And if you tell me it makes no difference what goes in. Then..... You need to read up.... Cause you're way off...

my ps3 is my dvd player, and its connected via HDMI. DD/DTS over hdmi for the dvds, full blown LPCM for the blurays. also, for hd-dvd, my pc does the decoding and outputs 7.1 analogue to drive the amp directly, though at this time powerdvd still doesnt output full res 7.1. itsa a minor issue though, really.

[quote
    EDIT:
    Also, HDMI only passes 2.0 digital audio, and not full-blown 5.1 surround sound audio as most may think....

thats not true. currently, no pc can do more than 2 channel over hdmi. hdmi from anything thing else is not a problem.
    Last edited by james.miller; 11-16-07 at 03:23 PM.
    The HTPC

my ps3 is my dvd player, and its connected via HDMI. DD/DTS over hdmi for the dvds, full blown LPCM for the blurays. also, for hd-dvd, my pc does the decoding and outputs 7.1 analogue to drive the amp directly, though at this time powerdvd still doesnt output full res 7.1. itsa a minor issue though, really.

[quote

thats not true. currently, no pc can do more than 2 channel over hdmi. hdmi from anything thing else is not a problem.

What amp has high level 7.1 inputs? Could you let everyone know?

Well that depends on what version the HDMI is.... If its either 1.0 to 1.2 no, if its 1.3 then yes...

I'm confused... PS3 has HDMI but how does it connect to your receiver?

Oh, I'm sure your camera battery is charged now....
    Last edited by Joeteck; 11-16-07 at 08:39 PM.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Fine, I guess I'll continue it

You can see the front and center speakers (some sony brand I picked up off of ben333).

The rears sit right in front of the desk aimed directly up.

It is powered by:

Here are the specs:

It connects through a digital optical cable to my Audigy 4, direct pass-through on the card. The receiver does all the decoding. My 360 also plugs into the receiver.

I love my setup and will not change for a long time. Its small and powerful, sounds GREAT.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Heres my current setup

Details:
    H/K AVR 230
    Sennheiser HD-580 headphones (all I use for "serious" listening anymore)
    Athena WS-60 center and WS-15's Left and Right
    super simple DIY Dipole rear surrounds
    DIY Adire Tempest based subwoofer (new enclosure same PE 250watt amp)
    Abit IP 35 pro onboard sound going out through the optical digital output

My system has gone through a few major changes over the past year or so. I gave away/sold most my DIY projects to friends. Right now I use the 5.1 setup for gaming and movies. For anything close to serious listening I use my headphones anymore. I got tired of battling room accoustics in such a small area. Maybe once I move I will start another DIY project though .

Ryan
    -=Current system=-
    Intel i5 3570
    Gigabyte GA-z77-Ds3h
    nVidia 460 GTX 1GB
    Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3 1600
    Kingston V300 120GB SSD
    Seagate 3TB HDD

Stop with the pictures and get back to the bickering! Keep this on topic!
    PLEASE MOVE YOUR CLASSIFIED AD TO SOLD ONCE IT HAS COMPLETED (Click here to learn how)

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

What amp has high level 7.1 inputs? Could you let everyone know?
    high level? as in speaker level? or do you mean rca/line level, aka low level?

my onkyo 805 does as does the /705/875/905, and similar models from competing companies.
    Well that depends on what version the HDMI is.... If its either 1.0 to 1.2 no, if its 1.3 then yes...
    thats also wrong im afraid. HDMI 1.1 and above supports 7.1 LPCM (uncompressed pcm). it's a common misconception that many people get wrong

I'm confused... PS3 has HDMI but how does it connect to your receiver?

Oh, I'm sure your camera battery is charged now....
    this is the third time in this thread that ive said it connects via hdmi

forgive the mess, im renovating anyway, on with the spec list:

onkyo tx-sr805:

THX Ultra2 certified and Neural-THX Surround compatible
    Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD decoding
    Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
    Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic IIx decoding with Cinema and Music Modes
    DTS-ES Matrix & Discrete 6.1 decoding
    DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding
    HDMI 1.3a Inputs with up conversion to HDMI
    Faroudja DCDi Edge deinterlacing technology
    Automatic Audyssey MultiEQ XT setup with supplied microphone
    Built in RDS FM/AM Tuner with 40 presets
    Bi-amping capability
    130Wpc Continuous 8ohms, 20-20,000Hz (2 channels driven), 100Wpc all channels driven.
    7.1 channel input (that means analogue input!)
    Pure Audio Mode
    Three Advanced TI 32-Bit Processing DSP Chips
    Independent Crossover Adjustment for F/C/S/SB (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)
    192kHz/24bit Burr Brown DACs (PCM1796) for all channels
    WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) For DVD-Audio and SACD
    RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) communication protocol
    12v Trigger, RS232 & IR connections
    Audio Delay (up to 250ms in 5ms steps)
    Powered Zone 2 option
    Compatible with RI Dock for the Onkyo iPod Dock
    3 Year Onkyo Warranty

ps3 for playing bluray, SACD @ 176.4khz/5.1, dvd (upscaled) and of course some games now and again lol. supports 7.1 uncompressed over hdmi and 1080p

HTPC under the pc. specs in my sig, connects via 7.1 analogue for sound and dvi>hdmi for visuals and i can absolutely state that it is no worse than the ps3 for surround sound, and better for music.

i have a 12" lightning audio s12.2.4 in a 3.5cu.ft box, powered by a 2x100w RMS denon pma100m connected to my onkyo's subwoofer output. the tv is an Sony 40w2000
    speakers:

front: mission m71i's biamped,
    center: tannoy e11
    surrounds : acoustic solutions floorstanders, not sure on the model number atm
    rear surrounds: eltax HT-2 bi-polars

anything else you need to know, just ask
    Last edited by james.miller; 11-18-07 at 02:29 AM.
    The HTPC

Trailer Chasing Senior Adragontattoo's Avatar
    Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy
    Ill post a pic of my competing SS setup (1 for PC, 1 for TV/DVD) when I get done cleaning up my condo.
    (so I should have the pics up sometime around the year 2040...)
    Only ISP provided, .EDU, .GOV, .MIL e-mail addresses are Classifieds approved. Are you unable to access the Classifieds?
    Click here to find out why!
    The Forum Rules FAQ|
    Classies Rules and Regs
    Prices, slashes and edits
    Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
    Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!

Sorry, photo's were taken on my cellphone:

Z-5500s that arrived yesterday, so I havent had time to set them up correctly yet.. but eh, still sounds sexy Take note of my pc's on/off switch :P my original one broke, and that was all I could find to replace it xD.. my new flat, so I havent got a desk or anything yet.. so beanbag on a coffee table does me for the mo

I use Multiplicity to control my laptop via my desktop's mouse.. that program is ****ing awesome lol.

Umm. yeah.

Sound card is onboard DFI SLI-DR's 8ch karajan, which hopefully will be replaced by something.. decent, pending advice in my thread on this forum ^^
    Last edited by Careface; 11-18-07 at 01:23 AM.
    One Team... One Universe... One Goal: The Truth...
    {OC*SETI}

...Because we are not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Careface View Post
    Sound card is onboard DFI SLI-DR's 8ch karajan, which hopefully will be replaced by something.. decent, pending advice in my thread on this forum ^^
    You'll find there's a tremendous difference. I found it to almost be like night and day. I had a DFI Expert but had an X-fi card, and my z-5300e's sounded awesome. Then I started having issues with the X-fi so I removed it and went to the onboard karajan and I actually stopped listening to music during that time. it went from sounding great to sounding like it was playing through a tin can or something. So you can just imagine how much better it will sound compared to how it sounds now Just make sure you get something decent!

BTW, love the Ketchup bottle next to the monitor, a definite must in computing. oh and the power switch on the case is lovely as well

Let me guess <holding back a big laugh>. How is your DVD player connected to your receiver? RCA (red & white) or Optical or coaxial (looks like another RCA connection, either black or orange)? And if you tell me it makes no difference what goes in. Then..... You need to read up.... Cause you're way off..
    im waiting for your big laugh......
    The HTPC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast