• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show us pics of your Surround sound setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
high level? as in speaker level? or do you mean rca/line level, aka low level?

my onkyo 805 does:) as does the /705/875/905, and similar models from competing companies.

thats also wrong im afraid. HDMI 1.1 and above supports 7.1 LPCM (uncompressed pcm). it's a common misconception that many people get wrong:)

this is the third time in this thread that ive said it connects via hdmi:)

forgive the mess, im renovating;) anyway, on with the spec list:

onkyo tx-sr805:

txsr805_front.jpg

txsr805_rear.jpg

ps3 for playing bluray, SACD @ 176.4khz/5.1, dvd (upscaled) and of course some games now and again lol. supports 7.1 uncompressed over hdmi and 1080p:)

HTPC under the pc. specs in my sig, connects via 7.1 analogue for sound and dvi>hdmi for visuals and i can absolutely state that it is no worse than the ps3 for surround sound, and better for music.

i have a 12" lightning audio s12.2.4 in a 3.5cu.ft box, powered by a 2x100w RMS denon pma100m connected to my onkyo's subwoofer output. the tv is an Sony 40w2000
speakers:

front: mission m71i's biamped,
center: tannoy e11
surrounds : acoustic solutions floorstanders, not sure on the model number atm
rear surrounds: eltax HT-2 bi-polars

anything else you need to know, just ask:)

Like I said before...speaker placements are wrong... Need to understand this thread... Its for your PC, not home a HTPC.. I'm interested in surround for your PC, clearly not the case with you..

Nice receiver though... Correct version (1.3) for the PS3... This setup is only for your DVD's and PS3....

my speaker placement is fine. its a little narrower at the front than id like, but it really makes little difference where they are right now. and my htpc IS my pc. how many htpc's do you know with an 8800gtx and 4gb of ram inside?

you'll do everything you can to discredit what i say but how many times have i corrected you already? I mean honestly, you obviously didnt even know HDMI switching amps existed. i dont see any apology for the way you've been speaking to me, either.

Heres my current setup :)

setup.JPG

Details:
H/K AVR 230
Sennheiser HD-580 headphones (all I use for "serious" listening anymore)
Athena WS-60 center and WS-15's Left and Right
super simple DIY Dipole rear surrounds
DIY Adire Tempest based subwoofer (new enclosure same PE 250watt amp)
Abit IP 35 pro onboard sound going out through the optical digital output

My system has gone through a few major changes over the past year or so. I gave away/sold most my DIY projects to friends. Right now I use the 5.1 setup for gaming and movies. For anything close to serious listening I use my headphones anymore. I got tired of battling room accoustics in such a small area. Maybe once I move I will start another DIY project though ;) .

Ryan

Wow, very very niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.....

Im very much impressed... There are a few people who do it right....

what subwoofer are you using Joeteck?

Low end, 10" KLH. I orginally bought it @ Costco about 10 years ago. The AMP DIED, and I replaced it with a Dayton 240 Watt RMS into 4 ohms, and 150 Watts into 8 Ohms... Works very nicely on my wood floors. My sons room is right above, so I can only crank in when He's not home or awake. I bought the SUB AMP @ parts express. I'm on a budget. Wanted to spend as little as possible but still get what I wanted. My in-walls are AudioSource. Model AS6S. The center is A pyle, I got off ebay. The AudioSource speakers I got off of Amazon. I built the room from scratch. It was my garage. I also Ran 16 network lines, so my office would have plenty of network connections... As you can see all the computers are in one room...

Up stairs I have another surround sound setup, with yet another Pioneer receiver. But thats for movies only.

Picture 1
Picture 2

But this was for PC surround systems only.... ;)

Office construction pictures.

Close up AS6S
Picture 2
Sub connection Network, Sub, and phone...
more network connections The panel on the right is for my video surveillance, for 8 camera's and power.

Attachments

• P7280004.JPG
    P7280004.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,519
Last edited:
not too bad, just waiting to get a single family house with a rectangular basement for 7.1 setup. I probably gonna go with either B&W or Paradigm.

Just for curiousity, does anyone use Bose companion as their PC speakers?

I have it. I will take pictures of my setup once I move back in to my dorm. The sound quality on the Companion 5 speakers are the best by far compared to any other PC speakers available.

A lot of people dislike Bose because of its price but if you can afford it, give it a try and you will be just amazed by the sound you get with it. If you dont like it, then you can always return it. I believe Bose has a 30 day money back guarantee. So, thats always good.

Though, I do think their home theater systems are ridiculously expensive. And that's where BOSE losses to other brand name sound system. For PC speakers, Bose is a way to go but for home theater, you are better off with a different brand.

No camera=no pictures. When I get it back I will take some pictures

fronts: Bose Direct reflecting 401 floor standing(old but they sound good enough until I get the time to build my own)

I built my center channel with some 6.5" infinity speakers I had sitting around. It is huge and ugly since I haven't had time to paint it.

Subwoofer is a TC Sounds TC-10 OEM in a 1.0cuf sealed box. Its currently powered with a 4ohm 160W kenwood plate amp wired to 2 ohms. I need to get at least 1000W to get this thing nice and loud.

my rears are some basic kenwood speakers, they came with my receiver.

my receiver is a Kenwood VR-407

Back