• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show us pics of your Surround sound setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I've noticed that a few people rave about 7.1 surround sound or even 5.1 or 4.1. We can could go head to head on what sound card is better, but lets see how you're taking advantage of your sound card. Either X-fi, or SB live, or even the C-media chip set. Lets see some pictures of your setup to show our appreciation on how much we love our games.

I'll start it off. I'm sure many of your all ready seen this, but It would be cool to see an analog 7.1 setup unlike mine, which is DTS Dolby Digital Surround, via HT Claro 8788 chip set.

Lets see what you got...

Attachments

• DTS-1.JPG
    DTS-1.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 2,235
  • DTS-2.JPG
    DTS-2.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 2,145
  • DTS-3.JPG
    DTS-3.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 2,159
  • DTS-4.JPG
    DTS-4.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 2,134
  • DTS-5.JPG
    DTS-5.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 2,109
I'll start it off. I'm sure many of your all ready seen this, but It would be cool to see an analog 7.1 setup unlike mine, which is DTS Dolby Digital Surround, via HT Claro 8788 chip set.

:confused: your setup supports DTS, your amplifier is very much analogue i can assure you. i know my post prompted you to post this, its so obvious. my amp supports dolby TrueHD 7.1 and DTS: master audio 7.1 as well (192khz, 24bit DIGITAL) as well:) it also supports 7.1 uncompressed PCM sound via hdmi, which my ps3 is particularly happy with.

before you try to make distinctions between 'analogue' and 'digital' surround systems, you should try to understand what a digital format is, and understand that before it is amplified, all digital formats are converted in to analogue to drive the amplifier stages. there for, once there a digital format has been uncompressed and converted in to analogue, it IS analogue, and at that point there's no difference between that and feeding the amp with an analogue source to begin with.

if you want you can add me on msn and we can have a chat about it:)

Last edited:
I dare not take a pic of my desk right now with it being as messy as it is, but here is a representation I made a good while back:

attachment8a4e4fjf5.png

I have the rears suspended by those poles which sit behind me. Works perfectly. Where my desk is, they don't get in the way, but where it used to be I would have to pop them on and off all the time. But I built them to make that easy, it's just a socket that holds the pole to the desk.

EDIT: BTW, it's nothing fancy, just my Z-5300e's fed by an X-fi. Sounds good enough for me though.

I have surround, but since my speakers are not setup for surround, it's not "true" surround.

I have a JVC RX-5020V which has DTS & Dolby Digital Prologic II, 5 satellites and 1 sub, plus a pair of custom made cabinets with a pair of 12" Electro Bass woofers, 5" Pioneer Mids and Piezo tweeters. Nothing is hooked up since i've moved around so much there's no point in hooking it up only to take it apart again. I'm moving yet again so after i get settled in my new place, then i'll post pics.

:confused: your setup supports DTS, your amplifier is very much analogue i can assure you. i know my post prompted you to post this, its so obvious. my amp supports dolby TrueHD 7.1 and DTS: master audio 7.1 as well (192khz, 24bit DIGITAL) as well:) it also supports 7.1 uncompressed PCM sound via hdmi, which my ps3 is particularly happy with.

before you try to make distinctions between 'analogue' and 'digital' surround systems, you should try to understand what a digital format is, and understand that before it is amplified, all digital formats are converted in to analogue to drive the amplifier stages. there for, once there a digital format has been uncompressed and converted in to analogue, it IS analogue, and at that point there's no difference between that and feeding the amp with an analogue source to begin with.

if you want you can add me on msn and we can have a chat about it:)

So far no pics from you..yet...

And I do understand surround sound...(Look at my setup) thats what the DAC is for...silly... But your setup does not use the DAC, since you're 100% analog...

SO your 192K 24Bit, stuff is not being used at all.

Yes my sound is analog coming out (everyone is), but going in its digital (TOSLINK), unlike yours....

So far no pics from you..yet...

And I do understand surround sound...(Look at my setup) thats what the DAC is for...silly... But your setup does not use the DAC, since you're 100% analog...

SO your 192K 24Bit, stuff is not being utilized....

Yes my sound is analog coming out (everyone is), but going in its digital (TOSLINK), unlike yours....

it makes no difference what is going in. if you want to play the silly digital game, like i told you, my ps3 is running hdmi in to my amp. uncompressed 7.1 PCM > toslink. but back in the real world, xonar d2 analogue > ps3 hdmi. music from my d2 is an absolute delight. you'll get pictures when my camera battery is charged. then id appreciate it if you addressed the points I made in the other thread.

thank you:)

Last edited:
currently no sound card can output DD+, TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio yet, until then I'm not upgrading yet

and when they do, I getting a Onkyo TX-SR705 or the Onkyo TX-SR875 (to take advantage of the REON chip)

it makes no difference what is going in. if you want to play the silly digital game, like i told you, my ps3 is running hdmi in to my amp. uncompressed 7.1 PCM > toslink. but back in the real world, xonar d2 analogue > ps3 hdmi. music from my d2 is an absolute delight. you'll get pictures when my camera battery is charged. then id appreciate it if you addressed the points I made in the other thread.

thanks.

What are you kidding??? Of course it does.... LMFAO!!!!

Let me guess <holding back a big laugh>. How is your DVD player connected to your receiver? RCA (red & white) or Optical or coaxial (looks like another RCA connection, either black or orange)? And if you tell me it makes no difference what goes in. Then..... You need to read up.... Cause you're way off...

And this was so poesed to be a cool nice thread... all you had to do was post pictures, and no jabbing would of happened...

EDIT:
Also, HDMI only passes 2.0 digital audio, and not full-blown 5.1 surround sound audio as most may think....

Last edited:

Let me guess <holding back a big laugh>. How is your DVD player connected to your receiver? RCA (red & white) or Optical or coaxial (looks like another RCA connection, either black or orange)? And if you tell me it makes no difference what goes in. Then..... You need to read up.... Cause you're way off...

my ps3 is my dvd player, and its connected via HDMI. DD/DTS over hdmi for the dvds, full blown LPCM for the blurays. also, for hd-dvd, my pc does the decoding and outputs 7.1 analogue to drive the amp directly, though at this time powerdvd still doesnt output full res 7.1. itsa a minor issue though, really.

[quote
EDIT:
Also, HDMI only passes 2.0 digital audio, and not full-blown 5.1 surround sound audio as most may think....

thats not true. currently, no pc can do more than 2 channel over hdmi. hdmi from anything thing else is not a problem.

Last edited:
my ps3 is my dvd player, and its connected via HDMI. DD/DTS over hdmi for the dvds, full blown LPCM for the blurays. also, for hd-dvd, my pc does the decoding and outputs 7.1 analogue to drive the amp directly, though at this time powerdvd still doesnt output full res 7.1. itsa a minor issue though, really.

[quote

thats not true. currently, no pc can do more than 2 channel over hdmi. hdmi from anything thing else is not a problem.

What amp has high level 7.1 inputs? Could you let everyone know?

Well that depends on what version the HDMI is.... If its either 1.0 to 1.2 no, if its 1.3 then yes...

I'm confused... PS3 has HDMI but how does it connect to your receiver?

Oh, I'm sure your camera battery is charged now....

Last edited:
Fine, I guess I'll continue it ;)

e539bb01.jpg

You can see the front and center speakers (some sony brand I picked up off of ben333).

The rears sit right in front of the desk aimed directly up.

It is powered by:

6150062_440_1.gif

Here are the specs:

40967664.jpg

It connects through a digital optical cable to my Audigy 4, direct pass-through on the card. The receiver does all the decoding. My 360 also plugs into the receiver.

I love my setup and will not change for a long time. Its small and powerful, sounds GREAT.

Heres my current setup :)

setup.JPG

Details:
H/K AVR 230
Sennheiser HD-580 headphones (all I use for "serious" listening anymore)
Athena WS-60 center and WS-15's Left and Right
super simple DIY Dipole rear surrounds
DIY Adire Tempest based subwoofer (new enclosure same PE 250watt amp)
Abit IP 35 pro onboard sound going out through the optical digital output

My system has gone through a few major changes over the past year or so. I gave away/sold most my DIY projects to friends. Right now I use the 5.1 setup for gaming and movies. For anything close to serious listening I use my headphones anymore. I got tired of battling room accoustics in such a small area. Maybe once I move I will start another DIY project though ;) .

Ryan

What amp has high level 7.1 inputs? Could you let everyone know?

high level? as in speaker level? or do you mean rca/line level, aka low level?

my onkyo 805 does:) as does the /705/875/905, and similar models from competing companies.
Well that depends on what version the HDMI is.... If its either 1.0 to 1.2 no, if its 1.3 then yes...

thats also wrong im afraid. HDMI 1.1 and above supports 7.1 LPCM (uncompressed pcm). it's a common misconception that many people get wrong:)

I'm confused... PS3 has HDMI but how does it connect to your receiver?

Oh, I'm sure your camera battery is charged now....

this is the third time in this thread that ive said it connects via hdmi:)

forgive the mess, im renovating;) anyway, on with the spec list:

onkyo tx-sr805:

THX Ultra2 certified and Neural-THX Surround compatible
Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD decoding
Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic IIx decoding with Cinema and Music Modes
DTS-ES Matrix & Discrete 6.1 decoding
DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding
HDMI 1.3a Inputs with up conversion to HDMI
Faroudja DCDi Edge deinterlacing technology
Automatic Audyssey MultiEQ XT setup with supplied microphone
Built in RDS FM/AM Tuner with 40 presets
Bi-amping capability
130Wpc Continuous 8ohms, 20-20,000Hz (2 channels driven), 100Wpc all channels driven.
7.1 channel input (that means analogue input!)
Pure Audio Mode
Three Advanced TI 32-Bit Processing DSP Chips
Independent Crossover Adjustment for F/C/S/SB (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)
192kHz/24bit Burr Brown DACs (PCM1796) for all channels
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) For DVD-Audio and SACD
RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) communication protocol
12v Trigger, RS232 & IR connections
Audio Delay (up to 250ms in 5ms steps)
Powered Zone 2 option
Compatible with RI Dock for the Onkyo iPod Dock
3 Year Onkyo Warranty

txsr805_front.jpg

txsr805_rear.jpg

ps3 for playing bluray, SACD @ 176.4khz/5.1, dvd (upscaled) and of course some games now and again lol. supports 7.1 uncompressed over hdmi and 1080p:)

HTPC under the pc. specs in my sig, connects via 7.1 analogue for sound and dvi>hdmi for visuals and i can absolutely state that it is no worse than the ps3 for surround sound, and better for music.

i have a 12" lightning audio s12.2.4 in a 3.5cu.ft box, powered by a 2x100w RMS denon pma100m connected to my onkyo's subwoofer output. the tv is an Sony 40w2000
speakers:

front: mission m71i's biamped,
center: tannoy e11
surrounds : acoustic solutions floorstanders, not sure on the model number atm
rear surrounds: eltax HT-2 bi-polars

anything else you need to know, just ask:)

Attachments

• fr1.jpg
    fr1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,000
  • fr2.jpg
    fr2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,978
  • fr3.jpg
    fr3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,233
Last edited:
IMG_1009.jpg

Z-5500s that arrived yesterday, so I havent had time to set them up correctly yet.. but eh, still sounds sexy :) Take note of my pc's on/off switch :p my original one broke, and that was all I could find to replace it xD.. my new flat, so I havent got a desk or anything yet.. so beanbag on a coffee table does me for the mo :)

I use Multiplicity to control my laptop via my desktop's mouse.. that program is ****ing awesome lol.

Umm. yeah.

Sound card is onboard DFI SLI-DR's 8ch karajan, which hopefully will be replaced by something.. decent, pending advice in my thread on this forum ^^

Last edited:
Sound card is onboard DFI SLI-DR's 8ch karajan, which hopefully will be replaced by something.. decent, pending advice in my thread on this forum ^^
You'll find there's a tremendous difference. I found it to almost be like night and day. I had a DFI Expert but had an X-fi card, and my z-5300e's sounded awesome. Then I started having issues with the X-fi so I removed it and went to the onboard karajan and I actually stopped listening to music during that time. it went from sounding great to sounding like it was playing through a tin can or something. So you can just imagine how much better it will sound compared to how it sounds now :) Just make sure you get something decent!

BTW, love the Ketchup bottle next to the monitor, a definite must in computing. oh and the power switch on the case is lovely as well :)

Let me guess <holding back a big laugh>. How is your DVD player connected to your receiver? RCA (red & white) or Optical or coaxial (looks like another RCA connection, either black or orange)? And if you tell me it makes no difference what goes in. Then..... You need to read up.... Cause you're way off..

im waiting for your big laugh......

Back