• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD woke up - Should see GT prices fall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow, its LONG, the 8800gt barely fit in my case, and I had to destroy a IDE cable to get the card in and still use the IDE slot.

The looks of that card bring back fond memories of the V5 6000

nah the v5 6000 wasnt long at all compared to its bigger brother for the 3d workstation with 8 vsa-100 chips. :drool:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_aalchemy.htm

check out the v5 6000's prototypes
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/pro_v6k.htm

check out the benches though of the 6000
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/bench_v6k.htm
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_v6k.htm

sorry for the OT but someone said Voodoo 5 6000!! :beer:

We need to keep in mind that the 8800GT release was pushed up a few weeks to beat the 38xx to market. It wasn't really a paper launch but in practical terms could be seen that way given the way they've sold out. Give it another month and I bet 8800GT supplies will be much better. The 38xx cards are really nice though especially for the prices, right now they are higher than MSRP because the 8800GT is as well, as both creep down they will both continue to be good buys: the 8800GT for those who want better performance and are willing to pay for it, and the 38xx for those who want very good performance but might want to save a few bucks. It's nice to see that the 38xx don't always fall apart in AA too.

We need to keep in mind that the 8800GT release was pushed up a few weeks to beat the 38xx to market. It wasn't really a paper launch but in practical terms could be seen that way given the way they've sold out. Give it another month and I bet 8800GT supplies will be much better. The 38xx cards are really nice though especially for the prices, right now they are higher than MSRP because the 8800GT is as well, as both creep down they will both continue to be good buys: the 8800GT for those who want better performance and are willing to pay for it, and the 38xx for those who want very good performance but might want to save a few bucks. It's nice to see that the 38xx don't always fall apart in AA too.

Great insights...thanks
In yout oppinion which of the two is best value for money?

Great insights...thanks
In yout oppinion which of the two is best value for money?

after seen the reviews the 8800GT is a clear winner... though ATI might make something of a come back with better drivers. i dought that drivers can make up that much difference though.. if you run lower res's though the ATI is the clear winner..

2 8800gt 's in an SLI sounds really good at that price..

isn't their gnna be a new SLI mobo by EVGA?/???

well its gonna be a NV reference design board just like with the 680i's. rumor is the 780i is been delayed. 780i isnt suppose to be that big or deal, the one to look at is the 790i.

With the release of AMD's HD3870/3850 cards that retail for between $180 - $220 we should hopefully see the prices for the 8800 GT come down to pre-launch published prices of around $200 - $250.

I would tend to doubt it. The 8800GT is limited production with high demand so the vendors
are always going to try and rip you off a bit by selling over MSRP.

It doesn't help that the HD3870 is absolutely no match for the 8800GT in many games either.
In Crysis the 8800GT is roughly 40-50% faster than an HD3870 and it gets worse for the HD3870
when you use ATI's new hotfix drivers to get rid of the flickering textures.

Viper

I would tend to doubt it. The 8800GT is limited production with high demand so the vendors
are always going to try and rip you off a bit by selling over MSRP.

It doesn't help that the HD3870 is absolutely no match for the 8800GT in many games either.
In Crysis the 8800GT is roughly 40-50% faster than an HD3870 and it gets worse for the HD3870
when you use ATI's new hotfix drivers to get rid of the flickering textures.

Viper
In the link posted above it shows the GT only being a couple FPS faster in Crysis.

People will not automatically swarm to ATI just because it is cheaper unless some wickedly easy overclock can be achieved.

And for the age old "oh, but wait till mature drivers come out" excuse....the more you wait for that, the more competition nvidia can put out.

People will not automatically swarm to ATI just because it is cheaper unless some wickedly easy overclock can be achieved.

And for the age old "oh, but wait till mature drivers come out" excuse....the more you wait for that, the more competition nvidia can put out.

Don't think OC will be a factor. Remember the same OC sauce you can apply to the HD3870 goose
can be applied to the 8800GT gander as well.

Viper

www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3151&p=6

Thats about 38-47% faster depending on resolution. Crank in the AA and the gap opens even wider.

Viper
http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38704.htm
Strange, pretty big difference between the two articles. I wonder what settings Anandtech used to test Crysis, 60 FPS seems unusually high.
Still, HD 3870 uses considerably less power and the gap isnt as big on other games.
I wonder what is it exactly that prevents ATI from catching Nvidia in terms of performance. Is there some technology they haven't been able to perfect or something :confused:

http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38704.htm
Strange, pretty big difference between the two articles. I wonder what settings Anandtech used to test Crysis, 60 FPS seems unusually high.
Still, HD 3870 uses considerably less power and the gap isnt as big on other games.
I wonder what is it exactly that prevents ATI from catching Nvidia in terms of performance. Is there some technology they haven't been able to perfect or something :confused:

I am seeing about the same range between the cards here. If you have the system speed
the GT will pull away from the HD every time.

The R670 is basically a tweaked and die shrunk R600. It appears to share the same limitations
as it's bigger brother when it comes to AA and DX10 performance.

The 8800GT at draws about 30w more under load than an HD3870 but the GT is a faster card.
If you figure on watts in versus frame rate produced the 8800GT clobbers the HD3870 there too.

Power draw numbers are mostly marketing dept fodder for manipulation when you have the
slower product lol.

Viper

What is wrong with ATI? They need to stop being lazy and start getting it together. This lack of competition is just depressing. I predict an incremental year.

It's not like these cards were meant to beat out Nvidia's 8800's at all. This was a budget-midrange launch. Many people will simply buy the ATI cards because they are cheaper and many don't do as much research on their rigs like we all do. I do think that Nvidia does have some competition here due to those facts.

I did notice that now EVGA's 8800GT 512 Superclocked is shipping with Crysis.

Last edited:
Gah! I never get my hardware bundled with any decent games :mad: I didn't get SupCom bundled when it was coming with every piece of hardware out there either.

I think that the GT is a better buy for folks like us at or near MSRP The 38xx really aren't too bad though but it would be hard justifying a 3870 if you could get an 8800GT for just a bit more. The 3850 is a good enough card for the price though and would make a neat HTPC and non-strenuous gaming type card with it's low power draw.

Back