• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD woke up - Should see GT prices fall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
With the release of AMD's HD3870/3850 cards that retail for between $180 - $220 we should hopefully see the prices for the 8800 GT come down to pre-launch published prices of around $200 - $250.

Last edited:
With the release of AMD's HD3870/3850 cards that retail for between $180 - $220 we should opefulle see the prices for the 8800 GT come down to pre-launch published prices of around $200 - $250.
Link? :eh?:

How will these compare to the 8800GT cards? I see that the four 3870's at Newegg are all 256megs of 256 bit DDR3. 320 stream processors. How will it stack up?

Brollocks - Your Newegg link goes to the 3850's, not the 3870's. Here's a link for both!

Wayward Son - If you go the the new link you'll see the 3850's all have 256MB RAM, and the 3870's all have 512MB RAM.

Why should they lower the price when they have the faster card ;)?

Maybe they'll price the 256mb version aggressively, but I doubt much will happen with the regular GT.

dan

Why should they lower the price when they have the faster card ;)?

Maybe they'll price the 256mb version aggressively, but I doubt much will happen with the regular GT.

dan

The new AMD card will draw attention away from the GT, on face value the cards appear to be the same to the "non-expert", not many people go look at benchmarks, they will rather looks at newegg and other retailer reviews, so that will certainly take sales away from GT's...that is what I'm hoping for in any ways so I can afford to get a 2nd GT...:)
Competition is always a good think to us consumers.

The new AMD card will draw attention away from the GT, on face value the cards appear to be the same to the "non-expert", not many people go look at benchmarks, they will rather looks at newegg and other retailer reviews, so that will certainly take sales away from GT's...that is what I'm hoping for in any ways so I can afford to get a 2nd GT...:)
Competition is always a good think to us consumers.

Well, how many costumers did the HD2900xt snatch away from the 8800GTS/8800GTX? I think it was the same sitiuation :).

dan

When is ATi going to get it together? They are still behind nVidia even in mid range cards. Looks like the 8800 GTX & Ultra will be champs for a while yet.

With the release of AMD's HD3870/3850 cards that retail for between $180 - $220 we should hopefully see the prices for the 8800 GT come down to pre-launch published prices of around $200 - $250.

I don't think we'll see prices on the 8800 GT fall anytime soon. They are still selling out at above MSRP and it will probably stay this way until after the holidays are over.

Original OP doesn't make any sense. The prices are just high because of supply and demand. Demand might go down just a tad bit. With the 8800GT still faster than the 3870, a lot of places still have a large backorder for the 8800GT, and people generally wanting Nvidia more (basing it off the fact that they have greater market share) there should not be a big drop from the inflated prices. I would figure maybe a $10-$20 drop in a couple weeks.

I think the 38x0 series has it's niche, at $100 cheaper than the GT and much better performance than the 8600 series I think a lot of budget builders will use it.
Dan

Original OP doesn't make any sense. The prices are just high because of supply and demand. Demand might go down just a tad bit. With the 8800GT still faster than the 3870, a lot of places still have a large backorder for the 8800GT, and people generally wanting Nvidia more (basing it off the fact that they have greater market share) there should not be a big drop from the inflated prices. I would figure maybe a $10-$20 drop in a couple weeks.

No offense but you obviously do not have much insight into the world of marketing and how competition tend to equalize prices....I'm talking about after supply has been met...read further down and maybe it makes more sense to you...

Back