• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation for pci wireless card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

We just moved into a new (old) house, and I'm setting the network up to accomodate having our computers in different rooms from the modem/router. Previously, we simply ran cat5 to the two computers, but now I'm going wireless to avoid having any more cables strung around the house.

I bought a linksys wrt54gl router, and now I need wireless cards. What are some good choices, as cheap as possible? (both machines are running xp pro sp2)

i would suggest some pci card from linksys but they are quite pricey.

I have been running an Arilink 101 54mbit pci wireless card (from frys) got it for like 15 bucks and can be found for like 9 bucks on sale, i use it on my main server in my house and i have NEVER had problems with it. granted it is quite close to the router (bout 30 feet) but i ust to use the card in my htpc downstairs without much hassle. (bout 120ft away) from my wrt54gl (which is unmodified, i could run dd-wrt and boost the signal for alot more range but its not necessary)

Literally 24/7 there is data flowing over my airlink card and it never gives up. id buy another if i had to.

ALSO you might look into the wireless cards that come with asus mobos, lot of us (me included) unhooked them from our mother boards, they are quite good and work oevr a standard usb singnaling, as well as some 3.3v power. im sure you could ask some people with the right boards and im sure they would probably ship one with cost of just shipping and maybe a buck or 2 extra.

I would reccomend a PCI card from Asus. They use Ralink chipsets, so if you ever have the urge to try Linux, they're supported. Also, spend a bit of money on some 8dbi antennas. Get a couple TNC-RPSMA adapters so you can attach a couple to the wrt54gl too. They'll help a lot with signal strength.

Back