• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4.10 GHz is only a benching speed on this processor if you are even lucky enough to have some good silicon. Mine tops out around 4.00GHz on water simply for benching. Any real kind of stability using water/air and over 4.0 GHz on an E6850 is usually extremely hard to come by. If you look at both myself and Brolloks E6850 rigs, we are both exactly 24/7 stable @ 3.87 GHz and 1.53 vcore.

Using more vcore to around the 1.60 (bios selected) range will provide 4+ Ghz benchmarking for a few minutes to a few hours or so (again depending on the silicon), but you will soon see heat starting to create issues and instability. I think you should first lower your vcore to the 1.45 range on air and work your way up to 1.53,1.55 max for 24/7 on this processor if you are trying to get as close as possible to 4 GHz. I would also recommend staying below the 65*C load mark using CoreTemp Beta for temperature monitoring.

Here is a download list of the two apps recommended for stability testing:

CoreTemp Beta .95.4
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/CoreTempBeta.zip

Orthos Stress Prime 2004 (dual core)
http://www.overclock.net/attachment...7486-orthos-v20060420-orthos_exe_20060420.zip

I would recommend starting with 3.70 GHz @ 1.45 vcore and work up from there using orthos and core temp as your stability tools. Start with a high multi 9 X 415. And make sure to select Stress Priority 10 in Orthos.

Hope this helps.

It's the fact that you don't want to torch your CPU like the Nazis did the Jews during WWII. You were destroying the life of it by running those voltages. What are your temps right now under full load at 3.9GHz/1.57v?

Dude,
Thats a horrible thing to say man. Im not Jewish but have Jewish friends and family that you are totally disgracing right now. You should be ashamed of yourself.

There are MANY other BIOS settings you need to adjust to get high OC's. Just cranking up the vCore will only get you so far.

Go look in your BIOS. I'm sure you'll see A LOT of settings related to different voltages and reference voltages. These settings are your friend!

There are MANY other BIOS settings you need to adjust to get high OC's. Just cranking up the vCore will only get you so far.

Go look in your BIOS. I'm sure you'll see A LOT of settings related to different voltages and reference voltages. These settings are your friend!

Yes, however these E6850 G0 Revision processor's (as long as ample cooling capacity is available) are pretty much plug and play to 3.8GHz. As long as your motherboard can take 400 to 450 FSB, and you have a general understanding of ram dividers/multi's, you can basically pop in this processor, set cpu frequency, set vcore and your off. Its that easy.

thanks for all your input, especially dominick for giving me a place to start. Speaking of that, that is exaclty what i did. I took it to 3.7 and 1.45 volts. It is stable after 2 hours but My temp went up to exactly 65c at highest. (i did orthos priority 10 small fft) do u guys still think that ac5 and a zalman 9500 allows those temps? Anyway, I will work my way from here and will post later.

thanks for all your input, especially dominick for giving me a place to start. Speaking of that, that is exaclty what i did. I took it to 3.7 and 1.45 volts. It is stable after 2 hours but My temp went up to exactly 65c at highest. (i did orthos priority 10 small fft) do u guys still think that ac5 and a zalman 9500 allows those temps? Anyway, I will work my way from here and will post later.

No need to worry if temps are 65 to 70 in CoreTemp after two hours of Orthos. A maximum of 65*C like you stated is good for that overclock and air cooling. Now, try and push it as much as you can at 1.45 volts. When you fail in orthos, raise voltage a tad using 1.53 to 1.55 actual as an absolute maximum on that processor and air cooling. Your cooling capacity is decent, but nothing great. Keep pushing and report back. But, remember 65* to 70* C after a few hours maximum, try to stay below those temps if possible.

ok i kept raising the fsb from 3.7 to 3.72 then to 3.75 and then it crapped out so i raised voltages to 1.47 and after an overnight 8.5 hours, it was stable and at 66c. Ima at least get to 3.8 because 1.55 is a while away!

ok i kept raising the fsb from 3.7 to 3.72 then to 3.75 and then it crapped out so i raised voltages to 1.47 and after an overnight 8.5 hours, it was stable and at 66c. Ima at least get to 3.8 because 1.55 is a while away!

I'm gonna take a wild guess here: ;)

3.84 GHz @ 1.53 vcore is your lucky number.

I am running at actual 1.67 volts ( thats 1.7625 in nview)

And people ask me why I flat refuse to by a CPU off of ebay.

To the OP it sounds like you are getting a grasp of things. Keep an eye on you temps and you will be fine. We were all new once, just hang in there.

I will also restate the fact you need to upgrade that PSU. You can get a Corsair 520HX for ~80 depending on what sale you can catch. The thing about PSU's is when they blow they tend to take motherboards,ram,cpu's, and gpus with them.

so its been a few days and I have spend about 3 nights doing orthos and so far I have a stable overclock of 3.86 at 1.57volts. My temps went to 74 load. I think I will stop here.

Back