• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russianhomi

Registered
after I overclocked to 4.1ghz at 1.6v I ran 3dmark06 and played codd4 crysis demo and everything went well. After that I tried running cs source and it would give me a message after like 2 seconds of the double click before any window opened that said "hl2.exe stopped working. A problem caused the program from working correctly" i got all drivers right and I dont see how it can be the oc when everything else is fine.
does any 1 know what it can be?

ps I have already reenstalled steam

aspire psu = junk.
I have had this psu for a long time and it has never given me any trouble. Im sure u say this cuz others do and have never actually used it but w/e.
4.1ghz is really high for 24/7
I use the computer only 3-4 hours a day and this is an e6850 meaning it is only oced 1 ghz. E6600s can be oced from 2.6 to 3.94ghz so this shudnt be a problem.

Did you run any kind of stability tests like prime 95 or orthos for any length of time?

Sounds like less than a stable overclock. What are you cooling the cpu with using 1.6v?

I am using a zalman 9500 and artic silver 5 and the tepms get to about 65 full load with 1.6 volts
i put the volts and ghz down to default and the game still dont work
I reinstalled it, tried a system restore, and it still dont work!

You need to rin Prime95 or Orthos at priority 10 to see if it is stable over long period, I bet you your temps at 1.6 v will most certainly go over 75 C after a good run on Prime95 or Orthos...I know what I'm talking about as I have the same setup and even under water mine gets to 75 C after a good few hours at 1.6 v and 4 GHz

*Edit* your memory could be unstable as well, run memtest

You need to rin Prime95 or Orthos at priority 10 to see if it is stable over long period, I bet you your temps at 1.6 v will most certainly go over 75 C after a good run on Prime95 or Orthos...I know what I'm talking about as I have the same setup and even under water mine gets to 75 C after a good few hours at 1.6 v and 4 GHz

Agreed. Your does seem to get a little high on water but I'm guessing mine maxes out at around 58c is because of a tripple rad. I had no luck what-so-ever keeping below 65c on air at just 1.53 vcore.

Agreed. Your does seem to get a little high on water but I'm guessing mine maxes out at around 58c is because of a tripple rad. I had no luck what-so-ever keeping below 65c on air at just 1.53 vcore. Right now, the ambient air is a little cold at about 72F and I'm doing 44c load on water at 1.53 (3906mhz) 2.5 hours.

Guys I got cs working again but I was trying to see if I have good temps. I am running at actual 1.67 volts ( thats 1.7625 in nview) and my idle temp is about 45c and load at about 71? are the zalman and ac5 doing their job or is this too hot.

What are you using to read those temperatures? 1.67 volts is way too high for any air cooling system.

And I would also trash that Apevia PSU before you lose some parts.

What are you considering "load"? You need to have a good Orthos or Prime95 burn (small FFTs) for a true "load". I have mine running 4.0GHz and no where near the vCore with a MUCH better air cooler and twin 120mm Scythe fans (64cfm each). I just cant honestly see how that Zalman is going to perform anywhere in the realm you are talking about.

See my sig for my details and I will push upper 50s to low 60s when running Orthos at load.

That 1.76 vCore in BIOS is just insane... thats for the realms of phase / LN2 cooling.

What are you using to read those temperatures? 1.67 volts is way too high for any air cooling system.

And I would also trash that Apevia PSU before you lose some parts.

No kidding.

I get 64C load with 1.43V with my AS5 and Zalman 9500, which I lapped along with my E6600.

Run Prime or ORTHOS overnight to really see if it's stable 71C is WAY too hot.

the reason I have the voltage that high is because the processor isnt stable at voltages below this. I dont see how because this is a e6850 and shudnt it be able to oc at least 1ghz? plus how are u guys running 4 ghz stable at those low volts? Mine wont even start at 4 ghz with less then 1.6 ghz

I'm not the most knowledgeable person whatsoever with overclocking and all the details surrounding it, but with that said you better start saving for new parts because yours is going to kick REAL quick if you keep those settings up that high. You can never judge a chip's performance on what others are getting because what someone else gets you may not. A processors performance is pretty much luck, I guess that would be the best word for it, and you also have to take into consideration what other people are using for cooling and how well they are testing their chips to make sure they are stable and that those are safe levels they are running. A lot of people on here have been OC'ing for years and years and have all that experience that helps them overclock "at least 1ghz."

Anyways, before pushing a chip higher you should do increments of it is I believe 5-10MHz on the FSB when trying to find your chips max; adjusting your vcore accordingly. Like other members said you should also be running Prime95 or Orthos to determine stability before upping your clocks further. Your definition of load sounds like you have AIM and MSN Messenger open and just to make sure your CPU is working super duper hard you decided to scan for spyware and viruses as well - at the same time no less!

Agree with previous post...to OP, you might not fry your CPU but you are shortning the lifespan quite a bit....do us all a favor and run Orthos (priority 10) at that v-core, I bet you in 10 minutes your system will reboot due to overshooting Intel CPU safety limits in temperature...there is now way at 1.7 volts you can cool that CPU on air at load

Lordy... 1.7V is crazy for air, Even people on dry ice don't go that high :S

All the chips are the same from intel just different bits disabled and or enabled, They make the chip, test it to a certain speed and they'll sell it, 4.1GHz is not what normal either you don't need that speed at all....

thanks for all the help ( turns out when I was running orthos i did blend cpu and ram so the temps got to about 71. I was like ok.. But then I noticed cpu only it was small ff sumthing. I did that and to my amazement the cpu went from 45c to 86c in 1 change, then to 94c and i almost crapped my pants so I restarted at lower volts. 1 thing i dont get, why check for stability with orthos when None of my games or apps crash. I mean right now I got 3.9ghz even with 1.57v (actual) and no games crash for as long as I play them. the only way they crash is if I run orthos small fft for like 10 minutes. Do i get slower performance even if there is no crash? I havent seen my cpu top 59%.

EDIT: Deleted for respect of others and I apologize. I never even noticed the post was made until I was searching my old posts just now.

Last edited:
Back