• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

610W not enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stilup

I recently purchased a PC Power&Cooling 610W@40C (670 Peak) and
it seems to be at full capacity.
Speed fan and PC wizzard report low +12V(11.78) and +5 volts(4.80)
However upon doing some reading here I used a volt meter on the last availble molex plug and get a healthy +12.5 and +5.2.
Can the software be that messed up? The Bios also reads the low volts.
I seem to be bottlenecked with my overclocking with the G-Skill 4 GB.
I was thinking of sending the P/S back but after reading the voltmeter I am allot happier.
Using the PC power&Cooling guide I should of got a bigger one. http://www.pcpower.com/technology/power_usage/
I am slightly O/C'd to 3.50 GHz 14X217. I just up the memory from 200.
I run cool 30C/43C and stock Vcore.
with 5 hard drives and 4 fans , 1-120mm case,1-90 cpu, 2-90 case
I have the 2 PCI-E 6 plugs in the 8800GTX
What are your thoughts on the load?

Last edited:
I recently purchased a PC Power&Cooling 610W@40C (670 Peak) and
it seems to be at full capacity.
Speed fan and PC wizzard report low +12V(11.78) and +5 volts(4.80)
However upon doing some reading here I used a volt meter on the last availble molex plug and get a healthy +12.5 and +5.2.
Can the software be that messed up? The Bios also reads the low volts.
I seem to be bottlenecked with my overclocking with the G-Skill 4 GB.
I was thinking of sending the P/S back but after reading the voltmeter I am allot happier.
Using the PC power&Cooling guide I should of got a bigger one. http://www.pcpower.com/technology/power_usage/
I am slightly O/C'd to 3.50 GHz 14X217. I just up the memory from 200.
I run cool 30C/43C and stock Vcore.
with 5 hard drives and 4 fans , 1-120mm case,1-90 cpu, 2-90 case
I have the 2 PXCI-E 6 plugs in the 8800GTX
What are your thoughts on the load?

Stilup,

As long as you are not 8800GTX SLI, it certainly isn't your power supply holding you back.

Are your RAMs 2 sticks X 2 GB or 4 sticks X 1GB? You weren't clear on that.

Ignore your software readings on the voltage, a DMM is the correct method. Is your 12v reading 12.5v or 12.05v?

Hi RollingThunder I show D/C dual channel in my sig but I will chng it for clarity and yes 12.05V is the correct amout.

The PSU is not overloaded, only way it would be, or close to being, is if you had 2 GTX's in SLI as RollingThunder stated.

Software readings are never 100% accurate, but they do give a good estimate. Some give better estimates than others though.

You would need multimeter for accuarte readings. Software and bios readings are not in many cases. Unless you are running sli 8800gts, as others said, there is no need for more power unless psu is defective.

With the system in my sig my 610 isn't breaking a sweat. Trust me you're no where's near the maxing out of that psu ;)

Back