• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDTV help connecting to PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore86

I have this HDTV LCD http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...sem/rpsm/oid/188917/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I connected using the S-Video output from my Geforce 8600GTS by Gigabyte but it will only go to 1024x768 resolution....how do I get 1080p 1920x1080????

The TV has yprpb, hdmi, composite, usb, dvi-sub ports. I used a composite cable (from my very old VCR) to connect to the yprpb port on the TV. I used the video cards HDTV adapter (s-video to yprpb). This is the HDTV adapter I used that came with my video card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...GABYTE+GeForce+8600GT+GV-NX86T256D+Video+Card

So, s-video only gives blurry 1024x768 res...there is no way to increase it.. (not even in nvidia config).
yprpb gives 1080i....not 1080p....how come?
btw, if I get a HDMI port....will it carry the audio to the TV or do I have to connect speakers to my PC?

your tv might not support 1080p through the s-video. check out the manual to see which inputs support which resolutions.

First, there is an HTPC sub section which might get you a few more responses but I'll see if I can help.
If you've got the DVI connection, use it! Most TV's will limit the signal based on the input format; ie, an analog input will normally be limited to 480 possibly 'p', same with the s-video, which is basically a combined component input, although you should be able to push those to a 720p res. That's why a lot of sets with VGA inputs will limit or 'cap' the resoluitons and its hard to override. I have gotten mine to run over component at 1980 x 1080 but I was not pleased with the results, the picture was 'grainy.'
To get to a 1080 res go with a HDMI or DVI connection. There are proprietary constraints on the HDMI connections and I haven't played with that but I know it's doable and will come in handy once you upgrade to a hi-def drive.
I've been using DVI for some time and currently running Crysis at 1980 x 1080, full 'high' settings on a Sharp 46" over DVI. The newer drivers are much more user friendly once you establish the connection. Some sets will allow you to program the settings for your inputs and you might want to check those also. These will usually enable/disable set signal processing which you might need to modify as some of these could include upverting to predetermined resolutions. On mine, once a connection is sensed through any input port, you're allowed to go in and set the signal processing and display preferences(movie, sports, even "pc" for the DVI) for that input, a menu not available until a signal is present.

My suggestion. Go spring for the DVI cable and party on!

My TV has a D-Sub port and a HDMI port but no DVI port. The D-Sub port looks like a regular blue VGA port (like the ports before DVI).

Do I connect to the D-Sub port using DVI-To-D-SUb cable or get a DVI-To-HDMI cable?

the easiest and cheapest (and possibly the best) option is to get a DVI-D to HDMI cable(DVI-D is the best) from ebay, you can get one as cheap as 5 pounds. I use one with my HDTV, although mine can only do 1360x768 (its only capable for 1080i)

I use this same thing for my hdtv. Works great.

...or you could pay less than 6 bucks for 6 feet. ;)

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/hdmi-21506.htm

12 for the 10 foot.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/hdmi-21510.htm

I'm surprised that model TV does not have a 15pin VGA connection on it. That would be the best/easiest for computer hook up since the component and even the HDMI solutions may have problems with video levels and color spaces of the TV can;t handle the computer input settings.

You will have to make sure your video settings for the computer are set for the panel's range in size and refresh-rate or you could run into problems, even ruin it. Be cautious.

- Blackstar

VGA connections will limit the input to normally 720 res's. nVidia's drivers are very compatible with the large screens and by virtue of their inputs will set it up well. I'm running the 169.09 drivers to mine with no probs at all...over a DVI.

Back