• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell if a PSU is dying???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I have what many people have told me is a bad PSU. It is an Orion HP585D. Now, in my current situation I simply don't have the funds to get a better PSU. (this should change in a few months)

So my Question is: Is there any sure fire tests one can perform on a PSU to determine if it is working properly??

I have had the PSU now for about a year with out any discernible problems. Here is an expanded break down of my system so some one can help me determine if I am overtaxing my current PSU and suggestions of what new PSU to eventually get:
ASUS A8N5X
AMD Athlon 64 3200 2200MHz
Gigabyte GeForce 7600gs 256MB - dual-monitor
1.5GB RAM- 2 512 PC3200, 1 512 PC2700
4 HDD's
DVD drive
DVD rw drive
SB Live 24 SC
maxtor SATA/150 PCI card
4 self powered USB devices (printer/scaner/zip/HDD)
5 USB powered Devices (kVM/floppy/mouse/keyboard/flash drive)
5 80mm fans

I am looking for honest advice not simple opinions.

Attachments

• 3.bmp
    72.2 KB · Views: 625
I have what many people have told me is a bad PSU. It is an Orion HP585D. Now, in my current situation I simply don't have the funds to get a better PSU. (this should change in a few months)

So my Question is: Is there any sure fire tests one can perform on a PSU to determine if it is working properly??

I have had the PSU now for about a year with out any discernible problems. Here is an expanded break down of my system so some one can help me determine if I am overtaxing my current PSU and suggestions of what new PSU to eventually get:
ASUS A8N5X
AMD Athlon 64 3200 2200MHz
Gigabyte GeForce 7600gs 256MB - dual-monitor
1.5GB RAM- 2 512 PC3200, 1 512 PC2700
4 HDD's
DVD drive
DVD rw drive
SB Live 24 SC
maxtor SATA/150 PCI card
4 self powered USB devices (printer/scaner/zip/HDD)
5 USB powered Devices (kVM/floppy/mouse/keyboard/flash drive)
5 80mm fans

I am looking for honest advice not simple opinions.

Dus,

On paper and by the numbers, you're certainly not taxing your power supply, it's way more than enough for your system. If everything is running fine, don't look for problems that may not be there.

You can take a digital multi-meter and check your 12 and 5 volt voltages in an unused molex plug. For the layman, that will probably tell you what you need to know.

:welcome:

The only sure fire way is to test with a MM or much more expensive equipment.

My last PSU failure was on a machine that was no where near taxing the 600w FSP, yet the PSU began overvolting and before I thought to test that component it had fried the MB and damaged one vid card.

Back