• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some opinions/feedback on laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven5210

Registered
Hey guys just thinking about buying a laptop for school. The only laptops I see as a possibility is the Dell Vostro 1500 customized to a intel 2 duo 2.4ghz with a 8600gt and 2gig memory. Which would run me about 1400, or an Asus G1S for probably about 1650. I heard good things about the G1S except that it has bad speaker quality which probably won't matter since I can't have it on at school and at home I'll just plug in my speakers and monitor. I know the dell is cheaper and I can get about 400 ghz. I just don't know if the dell is a good choice. I'm also open for other laptops you guys can recommend. My home computer is a bit slow so I'll probably be using the laptop at home too. I am a student so alienware is out of the question!:bang head

the dell vostro is too good of a deal to pass up
the asus G1S is a better gaming laptop--GDDR3, and looks better but if you config the vostro right you can get 3gigs, t7500, 200gb 7200, 8600gt, for around $1300. i just dont think that $300 justifies a small video performance increase such as GDDR3

Yeah, I know it's a lot cheaper, but I read a review somewhere that says that the vostro wasn't that great. I just think asus is more dependable, but i don't know about dell.

so you are obviously set on the asus, even before you posted, so what was the point of posting ?

Didn't mean to give you guys the wrong impression. That's what I've found so far while looking for laptops. Just want to know if you guys know if dell or the vostro is good. Or if there was any other laptops you guys would recommend me. =)

well you can do an inspirion, get less exciting hd and memory, but get blu ray for $1500 and a 24bit x-fi pcmcia card.
im not a dell fanboy or anything, i just like the fact that their laptops have the best price/performance ratio ever

Yeah, pretty much I agree with you on the price/performance. You've helpful thanks for the feedback. Still not sure for now.

I've helped a family member and client configure and purchase Vostro 1500's.

All I have to say about this laptop is that they are a good build, good quality, and they come at great prices especially if you use the coupons floating around the net.

They are also very sleek..

I bought a Toshiba Satellite earlier this year for $1600, 17" screen, Turion X2 and 7900Gt video. Is darn nice all around especially for gaming though the 7900GT kills the battery fast LOL.

Back