• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2180, E4500, or wait for Penryn?? I need your help guys!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JD-Stallions

Registered
Happy Thanksgiving!! This is my first time posting on OC Forums... and will have many more to come. I find these forums to be THE most informative compared to any other hardware forum, so i thought I would come to you guys for help.

here's my situation... the computer i have now was cool back in 2003 =) I play mostly BF 2142, because thats the only game that runs decently at high detail. (I don't like to settle for anything less than high)

heres my current Specs:

Athlon 64 3200 2.2ghz with AC Freezer pro 64 (OC'd to 2.3) lol my board sucks.
Epox 8npa SLI
2GB PC3200 DDR Crucial Ram
ATI x1800XT PCI-E 256mb
Sound Blaster X-FI Gamer
WD Raptor 36GB HD
Corsair hx620 PSU (I planned ahead)
Windows XP Pro

As you can see it's on it's last leg. Games that I want to play just don't run the way i want them too. (UT3, Hellgate, NFS Carbon, anything recent)

So.. for my next upgrade I have everything set in stone.. except for the CPU.. this is where I need your help guys! Please! =)

New Build:

Abit IP35-E
2GB DDR2 Crucial Ballistix 800mhz

Now for the CPU... do I go super cheap and get the E2180 with only 1mb cache.. E4500 with 2mb cache... or just wait another 2 months and go Penryn?? Money is kind of tight, and I am big on getting the best for the buck. I'd like to have at least 2mb cache as it's only $40 more, but will the E4500 OC as high as the E2180? Will prices on these chips fall once Penryn comes out? Man am I confused right now.. please help put a brother at ease.

thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Depends on your price limit. Either way get the best penryn you can afford. Looks like they'll oc as far as most motherboards and ram will let them. Bang for buck probably goes to the penryn quad with the 8x multi. I forgot the part number but it was about $300 I think. If you need to go cheaper you should still get a penryn.

ok so one vote for waiting for penryn.. I can see where your coming from and thanks for your thoughts. My spending limit is the best for the buck... you know the sweet spot.

anyone else have a different idea?

The penryns seem to be overclocking incredibly well, but if your going to be gaming mostly its probably worth it to get a dual core penryn and spend the extra $ on a better video card.

Certainly don't get the e2180/e4500 if you plan on keeping this computer for more than a year or so.

I might get jumped on for suggesting what I have, but I did the research before I bought.. I say E6750.. It's under 200 bucks, and during any gaming use I have never gone over ~35% CPU use.. It's actually probably more important to know what resolution and video card you will be using, before suggesting a CPU for you. If you are gonna have some crazy good video card you will need a better processor.. If you are going middle of the road, say 8800GT or less, or even 3870's in crossfire, the E6750 can keep those cards fed well. You mainly seem interested in gaming, so the bottleneck is going to be at the video card, not the processor..

If you don't mind waiting for Penryn, the E8400 will probably cost around the same as a current E6750, runs at 3.0ghz stock, has 2MB more cache.. No brainer, if you have the patience..

The only problem I see with the slower Penryns, is that they have a lower multi compared to similar Kentsfield CPU's (due to the higher FSB), so you need a board with a solid chipset if you want to go for crazy OCs.

dan

ok so one vote for waiting for penryn.. I can see where your coming from and thanks for your thoughts. My spending limit is the best for the buck... you know the sweet spot.

anyone else have a different idea?

What I'm doing personally, is buying the whole rig right now that will be usuable with the new 45nms, but only an E2140 CPU. That way it is still usable right now and when the new penryn's come out, just take the E2140 out and swap it with whatever you picked.

A lot of people have been getting the E2140's to approx 3Ghz on a good aftermarket air cooling solution.

I might get jumped on for suggesting what I have, but I did the research before I bought.. I say E6750.. It's under 200 bucks, and during any gaming use I have never gone over ~35% CPU use.. It's actually probably more important to know what resolution and video card you will be using, before suggesting a CPU for you. If you are gonna have some crazy good video card you will need a better processor.. If you are going middle of the road, say 8800GT or less, or even 3870's in crossfire, the E6750 can keep those cards fed well. You mainly seem interested in gaming, so the bottleneck is going to be at the video card, not the processor..

If you don't mind waiting for Penryn, the E8400 will probably cost around the same as a current E6750, runs at 3.0ghz stock, has 2MB more cache.. No brainer, if you have the patience..

Hey guys thanks for all helpful insight! I will be gaming at 1280x1024 since thats the native res of my sweet NEC 90GX2 =)

So i think I'll wait and hold out for a Penryn since it is just right around the corner. Did you guys say January?

Hey guys thanks for all helpful insight! I will be gaming at 1280x1024 since thats the native res of my sweet NEC 90GX2 =)

So i think I'll wait and hold out for a Penryn since it is just right around the corner. Did you guys say January?

Yep, they should be coming out in January.

To me, it depends on your budget.

The cheapest C2D I could find is a $75 E2140. The cheapest Penryn is supposed to be $163. Will you get twice the performance out of it? I'd say no.

If you are going for absolute best bang for the buck, get the E21XX series. If you want to spend a little more wait for Penryn.

Certainly don't get the e2180/e4500 if you plan on keeping this computer for more than a year or so.

Mind explaining this a little bit? I've been out of the cpu business for too long and not too sure whats going on with them atm.

Go ahead and buy your system and set it up with the e2180. Wait for the Penryns and the reviews and OC info and then make your purchase.

Sell the e2180 on the bay for $50.

Problem solved for $40 and in the meantime, you can take your time in deciding which Penryn you want.

This is exactly what I did and instead of trudging along on a P4 running at 3GHz, I am running at 3.4GHz on an e2180 and am waiting for the Penryns.

Note: The difference in speed has been so dramatic v. the P4, that I am very pleased and comfortable with waiting to see if there is something that will be significantly faster.

Go ahead and buy your system and set it up with the e2180. Wait for the Penryns and the reviews and OC info and then make your purchase.

Sell the e2180 on the bay for $50.

Problem solved for $40 and in the meantime, you can take your time in deciding which Penryn you want.

This is exactly what I did and instead of trudging along on a P4 running at 3GHz, I am running at 3.4GHz on an e2180 and am waiting for the Penryns.

Note: The difference in speed has been so dramatic v. the P4, that I am very pleased and comfortable with waiting to see if there is something that will be significantly faster.

Very good info! so tell me, in real world gaming... How much of a difference would I see when comparing a e2180 with 1MB cache OC'ed to 3.0ghz, to a Penryn 3.0ghz with 6mb cache... what I really want to know is... does cache REALLY make that much a difference in gaming?? I plan on pairing it with a 8800GT, and whatever the future may bring. My biggest issue is Cache on the CPUS.. is it REALLY that important? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Buy the E2140 and clock it, no need to spend more on the E2180...

Going from 1MB to 4MB makes a bit of difference. 6MB probably barely much more considering 2MB to 4MB is less than 1%.

But 3GHz at $75 you can't beat. Buy some dual 45nm later.

allright guys.. I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on a E2180... Before I jump right in though... I would really like to know what you guys think about the whole Cache size Debate...

Or do I just jump right in, enjoy the OC'ed E2180 for 1 to 2 years, then finally get a nice cheap Quad Core when their finally dirt cheap. I think by then games will finally start requiring them.

Abit IP35-E no longer for sale!

Hey guys... I'm gonna make the jump!

but as I try to find my IP35-E.. I see it's no longer for sale at any of our favorite sellers (Newegg, ClubIT,).. but has been replaced with the IP35-V!!

However, I see Clubit.com has the Vanilla IP35 for only $107 after rebate.. Should I go with that, or get the cheaper Gigabyte DS3L for only $90..

Which one will give me better OC results... and which one has less problems (I hear the IP35 has a vdroop mod?? care to fill me in on that issue please)..

Please help me out guys... This is the last piece of the long awaited puzzle. As soon as i pick a motherboard I can go ahead and place my order.

All help would be appreciated!

The DS3L is better. It has good overclocking results and more users/forums have gigabyte users than abit, it seems. The support alone is worth going to the DS3L

I'd recommend the abit. Dunno why the -E isn't available for, but the vanilla is the same MB with a few added features. Rock solid MB and great overclocker. abit forums are a great resource as well if you run into any problems. :)

imo right now the Abit IP35-E is one of the best chioces if you dont need all the extra goodies. yes even a better deal then the gigabyte P35-dS3l, the IP35-e is on newegg for $89.

Ok guys, I finally made the jump! I got the e2180, Abit Ip35, and 2gb Ballistix 800mhz... all for only $257!! Not bad i say.

The Parts should arrive by this weekend, and I shall let you know how it goes.

Merry Christmas to me.

:santa:

thanks for all the help guys.

Back