• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blue_fusion

Alright I have the Msi K8n Neo2 motherboard and right now I am running 2 IDE hdd's, I was wondering if it was possible to run Sata Hdd's as well as IDE hdd's on the same motherboard? Is that possible?

First off, :welcome: to the forums.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to run SATA drives along with your IDE drives :)

Really? I just did the smart thing and do some research. And from what I read it says that you set it up in the bios but you can only run one type of drive at a time. Did I read it wrong? Or is there a way to convert IDE connectors to SATA connectors?

It is perfectly fine to have SATA drives and IDE drives connected at the same time. I was running with two sata drives in a RAID and an IDE drive connected for months everyday with no problems at all. I even have a similar if not the same board. If you are still unsure, just have everything backed up before you add the drives :)

There is a way to convert,, but as cultie said, there should be absolutely no need to, pretty much any nforce4 board will be able to run both drives together. You DO have to, however, make sure both IDE and SATA controllers are enabled in your BIOS (on my Gigabyte channels 1-2 is IDE, channels 3-4 is SATA)

Ok. Im going to have to do some more research on this. Can any of you guys point me in the direction of some reading materials? That will be very helpful.

I also have another question. I have the normal K8N Neo2, can I flash the normal boards bios with those of the platinums bios? Will that have any benefits?

I'm not sure that you can do that, the flash utility might detect the different board. However if you could I doubt there would be any benifits what so ever. It could even lead to instability. My advice would be if it's not broke don't fix it.

I'd also like to see where you read that the SATA drives and IDE won't work together.

Back