• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual booting win2k/win98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
Hi ive got 2 hdd's one housing win2k (my primary OS) the other housing win98se. Now my question is how do I make my comp ask me wich os to boot into, when win98 was my primary drive it was easy because i had boot magic do it, but since im using NTSF on my win2k drive i cant install boot magic. Any help would be apreciated

Jon Austin

Donno exactly, as I never dual-booted Win2k, but check on your drive (donno which one, the one set Active or Master) for a file named Boot.ini (hidden file, so you'll need to put "show hidden files" in folder options). Then add a new line at the end for windows 98 (I don't remember the format, sorry). that is if 2k's boot loader is the same as XP's

couple things you could try, boot into your RC from your 2kCD, just hit f10, when you get to the setup screen, or follow the screen through until u get to Recovery console. get your prompt and type

Fixboot
Exit

you can also try at the RC prompt

Fixmbr
Exit

You can also boot into your RC and try the quick repair option/instal which should fix u up also

remember ur messing with ur system so first create an ERD so u can get back to go if necessary

if it boots to your Win2k first, your boot.ini file (this is in windows 2000 at the root) will look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

You might want it to look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows
2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"

I think adding the bolded line will alow you to dual boot your os, but I'm not 100% sure. It won't screw anything up, however.

I'm interested in doing this as well (dual booting with another hard drive). My quick fix was to disable the primary drive in BIOS when needed.

My second (or third) boot will be either Linux, Win2k, WinXP, or Win98SE.

I'll let you know what luck I have..

Back