• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to upgrade CPU on a Vostro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

Anyone tried it? Seems to be I would have to take the whole damn thing apart. Something I am scared to death to do.

Anyone tried it? Seems to be I would have to take the whole damn thing apart. Something I am scared to death to do.
I have not taken apart a Vostro, but I know with my Toshiba latptop, you have to tear apart EVERYTHING to get to the mainboard. You even have to remove the motherboard to get access to the processor.

Please note that also voids your warranty ;)

O I changed the ram and harddrive so my warranty is already void. I guess 1.4ghz will have to do then.

O I changed the ram and harddrive so my warranty is already void. I guess 1.4ghz will have to do then.
You can change the RAM and the HDD ;)

Those are access panels on the back. Those don't void your warranty.

To change the processor, you have to COMPLETELY tear apart the laptop. Totally different ;)

If you go to the support page for your specific laptop, dell usually has maintenance and support manuals, which include on how to disassemble it step by step.

Which I am completely afraid of. Its scary how many parts u will have to unscrew and unhook.

Which I am completely afraid of. Its scary how many parts u will have to unscrew and unhook.
Well, if you don't feel that you can do it, then I suggest you don't ;)

You don't want to put your laptop in a state that is "un-fixable", because Dell won't take it back.

Anyone know the difference between the gray box and blue box core 2 duo mobile chips? The gray box is more expensive at a lower speed, yet all the other specs are the same. Any ideas?

I'm not sure about the box colors, but the original revision C2D's were at 667MHZ FSB (Merom) and mine came in a grey box. Then there were the 800mhz FSB revisions.....

What vostro is it?

My 1520 did require all screws from the back out and the case popped off to reach the CPU.

Taking a Dell apart is no big deal.

I have taken so many Latitudes apart I could probably take every screw out and re-assemble in 20 minutes.

Just take it slow. If it doesn't want to budge don't force it. That's how you break plastic.

1500 I'm still contemplating whether or not its worth it. Should I wait until .45 chips in January? Wonder if it will be supported by the 965m chipset.

What are you doing with this Laptop? I have a Vostro 1400 with the 1.6GHz/800MHz C2D, and it is plenty fast for a Laptop (I don't game). If I need Desktop performance, then I use a real desktop that blows away any laptop for any amount of money...

Upgrading to a Seagate 120GB 7200.2 Hard Drive helped oodles (probably more so than a new CPU IMO)

:cool:

on my inspiron it was easy to disassemble just take your time and don't forget about the screws up top behind the keyboard :)

also, you may have two screws on the corners of your case

Not really doing much, but I like fast computers including laptops. Opening IE I noticed a noticeable lag. I already upgraded to 2gig of ram and Hitachi 7200 RPM drive. The cpu is the last step. In hindsight, I should have just gotten the same things from Dell when I had the 30% coupon. Oh well, live and learn, would have saved 50 bucks or so. :p

So I upgraded to the T7500. Noticed there are more transistors on the bottom than the 1.4 it came with. Hopefully it will take advantage of the extra little thingies.

Everything is noticeably smoother. Replace the stock hard gum like gooo paste with MX2. Temps full load with two prime running at full cpu speed is around 80ish. Woooo its hot. So at least I know everything works. So my upgrade is complete, although itching to get a better wireless mini card.

I did strip a hard drive screw. Stupid dell manual said I need to remove the harddrive, which was totally unncessary. So anyone know where I can get replacement screws and how I can get the damn screw out?

So I upgraded to the T7500. Noticed there are more transistors on the bottom than the 1.4 it came with. Hopefully it will take advantage of the extra little thingies.

Everything is noticeably smoother. Replace the stock hard gum like gooo paste with MX2. Temps full load with two prime running at full cpu speed is around 80ish. Woooo its hot. So at least I know everything works. So my upgrade is complete, although itching to get a better wireless mini card.

I did strip a hard drive screw. Stupid dell manual said I need to remove the harddrive, which was totally unncessary. So anyone know where I can get replacement screws and how I can get the damn screw out?
Great to hear that you got everything working!

Temp wise, that is what my laptop hits under full load (CoreDuo 2.0).

Can't tell you how to get the screw out, sorry :(

I'm not worried, like I would ever run anythin that intensive for it to max out its temp.

Back