• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC's Phenom Review and Techinical info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlabamaCajun

I opened this thread to now get serious about what Phenom has to offer. I'm using the Phenom 9500 and a Gigabyte GA-790FX-DS5 2 slot XFire as that is the most video slots I'll use in the coming year. I chose the 9500 because it was the first available in my region and the Gigabyte because it was one of the first and host a lot of features I want. I like the passive cooling and the newer cleaner power regulators.

---- Nice box, retail.
phenbox.jpg

---- Week 47
phenom.jpg

---- The sink included (on the left) leaves much to be desired, c'mon AMD you could have given us the heat piper version.
I'm dropping in the Scythe Kantana II for now.
phensinks.jpg

mobotoys.jpg

Sparse collection of extra toys included with this Gigabyte board.
2 Sata
2 Flat Ribbon
Back Place
Sticker Set
Book, Quick Install Sheet and CD

nbint.jpg

Neat "little" norby sink interface actually a good design, simple and elegant. Gigabyte claims a 10 to 15C drop in board temps.
The pipe runs up behind the CPU and dissipates the heat there.
South bridge is a copper colored Aluminium sink.

back.jpg

Extra sinks on the rear of the board pull extra heat there off the board. Believe it or not a lot of heat comes through the board especially from the VRegs and reflected heat from the CPU.

regs.jpg

Shot of the Main dissipater and VReg cooler. This and the NB are copper. You will want air moving here. I added a 50mm fan after booting as the temps rose and got quite warm after a few minutes of operation, just enough so that I could feel it. This is where is pays to add airflow as I do in most of my builds.

incase.jpg

Locked and Loaded just before the smoke test. What's missing? Jonspd noted the HD connection.

----

Build Consist!
Phenom 9500 2.2Ghz Quad Core AMD Third generation CPU.
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 - 2X CrossFire mobo, AMD790FX chipset http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128074
Wintex 2x1G DDR800-CL4 1.9-2.0V
PC-P&C Silencer 650 EPS (bought for my server which I put on hold until more Quad Barcs come out).
Thermaltake Armour Case (also from the server).
Radeon X850XT, Fastest card I have sitting around.

Benches:

Stock settings
2210Ghz, DD2-800CL5

Sandra Drystone ALu 33384 - above the 18K to 21K we see on the X2s.
Ram Bandwidth ..........5449 - at 2.2G should be about 5600 to 5800.
Super Pi..1Meg..............35 secs better than some of my other boxes with slow memory.
"..........16Meg..........14:52 mins:sec

3D Mark 06 was 2350-2450, on a Radeon X850XT

Post 110 has a screeny of the new DFI 790FX
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5367801&postcount=110

Post 122 has some benches using my inhouse software compared to a few of my other rigs.
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5367801&postcount=122

copernicus brouight in some 3DMark scores on post 123 and More benches on Post 137.
3DMark Score 10172 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 4018 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 4472 Marks
CPU Score 3294 Marks .
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5367801&postcount=137

We also posted CineBench scores on 144 and 146
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5367801&postcount=144

Highest stable OC so far, copernicus 2536, I'm at 2398 waiting on RAM.

*Note this thread contains discouraging content so please read through. A BIOS issue with RAM created some problems that made the board unstable. Later once I realized the issue I corrected the RAM problem and started to get some low but nice 2.4G plus ocs. I left in full detail so others getting this or a similar rig might solve problems saving frustration. In all it's a great setup that just needs a few updates to the BIOS that will correct timing Issues. The Phenom is a great chip in the shadow of Intels big dogs but I'm pleased with the results.

Last edited:
I found the following link on INQ about Tech Reports experiences with AMD. It somewhat bashes AMD for it's practices and recent PR work but it's written well in my opinion. Understand, I'm not posting this to dis AMD but it's a wake up call for Hector, "He'll never read this but it may get aroound at some point". Scott lays it down heavy but with good judgement and reason why what he thinks about AMD's recent PR. Many of us want AMD to prosper and continue releasing new products that improve our rigs and keep competition up. That is why I'm posting these links so we can get a better understanding of what is going on and that hopefully AMD execs see these constructive criticisms as a warning shot to right the ship and do it right. I'm fully vested in AMD products at this point with some NVidia hardware for variety. I hold tight to their product line because I like the hardware. In my option, I liked it better when it was the best and I want to see that return. It's high time for AMD to respect these hardware reviewer because the people that make the most noise are listening and Intel is doing it already.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13633

The following link is to the actual review, not intended for the squeemish :eek:
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13677

Lets hope we see better results or at least good ones.

Let me just add a friendly reminder that this thread is about AMD, Spider, Phenom etc...

I don't want to see anybody jacking this thread in any manner. Simply put, if your intention is to gloat about your Intel, take it to the Intel forum. Any reports of thread-jacking will be dealt with severely. Just to preempt trolling, I've editing the thread title to reflect who it belongs to.

Note that this does not mean you cannot criticize or critique, it just means you are not allowed to say stupid things like "Intel FTW...!!!1111one1, AMD sucks..." . The OP has the processor, ask him questions and he will probably show everybody what is what. :)

Last edited:
Well, when you said the article wasnt for the "squeemish" I got worried hehe.

Thought they were gonng plaster AMD. Wasnt that bad though. They have a lot of good points regarding AMD's lack of releasing info and test products.

The phemon results were not too bad, obviously not Intel killers unfortunately.

I prefer personal tests though, not tech site tests so much. So looking forward to yours.

ooo me too subscribed! oc that thing like no tommorrow!!! lets hope it oc's well is good clock to clock against the competition, and is cool running!!! :beer:

With response to SN's note, Thanks BTW. "Hope you don't mind me changing the title from MY to AC's Review... sounds better ;)"

I have to give credit to 99% of OCF's members for having good decorum when it comer to posting. I've been on other forums where people backbite you for not liking what they like or for having an opinion. We get a rogue poster or a little thread crapping and an occasional heated flair up but in all it's a good group here. That said, SN is right, keep the focus on Phenom. If it's a reference to posted scores or reviews that should be OK.

Thank Guys!

AC, you got a full list of specs for the complete build? having this info out front will help to quell alot of future unnecessary questions

can't wait to see someone here show us what 790 and 9500 can do

woohoo:santa: just placed my order, phenom 9500 and the gigabyte ga-ma790fx and 2x hd3870 i can't wait:drool: comin from a 3700+ san diego and 7800gt this is gonna be a nice upgrade. now i can get crysis:beer:

can't wait to see your results AC the gigabyte mobo looks real nice notice the ht is 2600mhz vs 2000 on all the others. don't know if it will make much of a difference.

OK, I posted the consist for the build ;)

Got the CPU is 0743CPEW. The MOBO looks good in spec, I hope is kicks!
I'm not going big with a graphics card at this point, Copernicus, you're going to clean my graphics clock :bang head. The X850 is the fastest card I had sitting out. When I finish playing, I'll drop it back to NV7600GS and fold when I'm not running Rendering on it.

man what's taking you so long hurry up and make the 72 hour for AS5 go by I WANT Results....

Back