Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help?

Help?

Hey gang You know how I try to show my other hobbies then internet chat and or 3d graphics so and so on? Only reason I have so many hobbies I'm trying to find my nitch "aka what your goal is in life or what the reson your on the earth for" Any hoo And I'm finding out I may not have any special talents. And yes I know this post must seem like a waste of time but I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out what I'm good at.

And this is what I want to ask.

And you read all my posts like the slight up dfate on my trek ship and so on. What do you think I am good at? Right now I'm up in the air what to do, And I think the telescope dealio is only a summer hobbie for me since I "HATE SNOw"....

So any advice would be great "by the way this is no self pity thread ok guys"

I think your best stuff was the 3D models.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Quote Originally Posted by JamesXP View Post
    I think your best stuff was the 3D models.
    So I should continue that until I get good enough to model a car?

Derek, if you stick long enough at something you'll get better at it. You may not find you "niche" for a good while. As I learned from an untimely death of a family friend, just go out and enjoy life. Thats all I can offer you, I hope it helps

Dual Booting Ubuntu and XP
    Asus M2N32 WS Pro :drool:
    AMD X2 4200 (OC'd 2856MHz @ 1.4V)
    2GB Corsair PC5300 RAM (4X512MB)
    XFX 8800GTS 320Mb
    FSP 500W Bluestorm II PSU
    160GB WD SATAII Hard Drive

F@H masakabassist Heat: masakabassist

Quote Originally Posted by masakabassist View Post
    Derek, if you stick long enough at something you'll get better at it. You may not find you "niche" for a good while. As I learned from an untimely death of a family friend, just go out and enjoy life. Thats all I can offer you, I hope it helps
    Thanks mate, but I'm kind of getting tired of search I don't want to think I was here as a paper weight on our earth you know?

I've also been good at teaching people various things over the years but I know I wouldn't be a good teacher "since I'm shy at first around strangers"

Do you have a job? I am not trying to insult you but I have heard that you don't and your profile confirms it. Are you looking for a special talent to turn into money or fun? I guess I would have to say your 3D was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ben333 View Post
    Do you have a job? I am not trying to insult you but I have heard that you don't and your profile confirms it. Are you looking for a special talent to turn into money or fun? I guess I would have to say your 3D was the best.
    No worries mate, And I've kind of looking for both though. And I have to agree with you guys I think I will continue my 3d modelling work. Who knows it could pan out as a real full time job.

I know I still have work for a client but modeling planes isn't soemthing I like doing though.....

Derek, if you stick long enough at something you'll get better at it.
    QFT. This isn't meant to be offensive, but you're rather infamous for trying a new thing every week. (Remember your "I'm moving to Scotland but I don't have a plan" thread?)

There's nothing wrong with experimenting, of course, and one can make a point that I myself am too afraid to experiment with my choices in life.

But as I already recommended in your other thread, if you want to pursue say, graphic design, then you should really look into a class or a course option at a college. No, not everybody needs to take a class to do something (as I already said in the last thread), but in your case, I think it would be beneficial. That is, having a set outline of goals and a "curriculum". In other words, if you want to pursue a hobby, you should seek more structure in your life.

Man is not an island. Take for example my own work: research in math. You'd think that's fairly solo, but it's truly not. Much of what I do depends on being in the right environment. Having the right supervisor to talk to. Going to weekly seminars from industry representatives. I need to know what's the "hot" topic, and I need to know what are the newest techniques. This isn't something I can do in my basement.

Similarly, if you want to go into graphics modeling seriously, you need more structure in your life. Period. Because you don't have it, you're just floating from hobby to hobby. You have no guidance and reason to push yourself.
    Last edited by Frodo Baggins; 11-29-07 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins View Post
    QFT. This isn't meant to be offensive, but you're rather infamous for trying a new thing every week. (Remember your "I'm moving to Scotland" thread?)

There's nothing wrong with experimenting, of course, and one can make a point that I myself am too afraid to experiment with my choices in life.

But as I already recommended in your other thread, if you want to pursue say, graphic design, then you should really look into a class or a course option at a college. No, not everybody needs to take a class to do something (as I already said in the last thread), but in your case, I think it would be beneficial. That is, having a set outline of goals and a "curriculum". In other words, if you want to pursue a hobby, you should seek more structure in your life.
    Frodo nio offence taken mate and yes I do remeber the scotland thread, but that would take a rather large amounts of money even I don't have to be able to move there.

Anyways thanks guys for being supportive. Also I like to apologize for trying different things, I think it's in my nature too try different things, Or I would be really board.

Maybe try some computer modding. Thats really fun and rewarding work and here is the place to share it. You can put lots of other things you like to do into it also (star trek case?)
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ben333 View Post
    Maybe try some computer modding. Thats really fun and rewarding work and here is the place to share it. You can put lots of other things you like to do into it also (star trek case?)
    Good luck
    Haha Ben, I could see that a pair of naccel's on a pc case with blue glow and a warp sound effect every time you turn on the pc

Quote Originally Posted by DerekDRP View Post
    Also I like to apologize for trying different things, I think it's in my nature too try different things, Or I would be really board.
    Well you don't have to apologize for it. But the fact that you're saying it's because you'd "be really bored" is just a sign that you haven't really understood anything I've said.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins View Post
    Well you don't have to apologize for it. But the fact that you're saying it's because you'd "be really bored" is just a sign that you haven't really understood anything I've said.
    I do understand most of it mate, but we have no 3d schools here all we have in our city is one collage that has 2d classes and web classes the rest is mostly maritime classes, sports, music.

I think you're looking for something meaningful in your life and have little direction. First off get a job even if it is part time doing something, not everyone gets a dream job right off the bat or at all but I think you seriously need something to keep you occupied.

Even if it makes you bored, at least being bored is making you some side money. For hobbies I think in that one thread you created, the 3DModels were pretty decent man. You should maybe consider taking some classes in CAD design or along those lines. I know it is easy to say you're going to do something or throw a lot of ideas around, but in the end be in a rut for a very long time. Enough talk, go out and do it.
    My Heatware
    i7 920@4Ghz/CM Cosmos 1000
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2/Enermax DXX 1KW
    OCZ Platinum 3x2GB
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD x2/WD Green 1TB x3
    Hanns-G 28in/HIS Radeon 6950
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Logitech Z-5500

Quote Originally Posted by twEEkerAreUs View Post
    I guess I really never had this problem, I think you're looking for something meaningful in your life and have little direction. First off get a job even if it is part time doing something, not everyone gets a dream job right off the bat but I think you seriously need something to keep you occupied.

Even if it makes you bored, at least being bored is making you some side money. For hobbies I think in that one thread you created, the 3DModels were pretty decent man. You should maybe consider taking some classes in CAD design or along those lines.
    True true OI should and I do learn very fast which is cool.

Ok thanks for everything guys...

True true OI should and I do learn very fast which is cool.

Ok thanks for everything guys...
    Derek, im not the person (as i'm not a psycologist or anything close to) nor is this the place but have you ever thought that you're depressed? A classic sign of depression is boredom, believe me i've been there. It may explan why you constantly move onto something new,start something new get bored and decide its not for you. Just food for thought, as someone said above you really seem to be lacking direction. This isn't a personal attack, just something for you to think about

*edit* This really isn't an attack so please don't take it the wrong way. Do you have much of a social life? I'm trying to think of why you get bored of things and constantly move onto something new and I keep coming back to what I said earlier on in my post. Hell, if you want a chat shoot me a PM
    Last edited by masakabassist; 11-29-07 at 06:49 PM.

XFX 8800GTS 320Mb

Derek, im not the person (as i'm not a psycologist or anything close to) nor is this the place but have you ever thought that you're depressed? A classic sign of depression is boredom, believe me i've been there. It may explan why you constantly move onto something new,start something new get bored and decide its not for you. Just food for thought, as someone said above you really seem to be lacking direction. This isn't a personal attack, just something for you to think about

*edit* This really isn't an attack so please don't take it the wrong way. Do you have much of a social life? I'm trying to think of why you get bored of things and constantly move onto something new and I keep coming back to what I said earlier on in my post. Hell, if you want a chat shoot me a PM
    No worries and I don't take offence tooe asy like I used too do. Anyways it's not depression I think I'm just too lazy to do anything about anything.

No worries and I don't take offence tooe asy like I used too do. Anyways it's not depression I think I'm just too lazy to do anything about anything.
    Well thats where your problem lies, you're lazy. Get out, go to the gym, set a goal and work for it and that is the way how you will find out you strengths and weaknesses. I put the gym in there because fitness helps create a happy person and relieves stress (believe it or not ). I hope that helps mate

XFX 8800GTS 320Mb

Focus and excel.

You don't need to be 'smart' or innately talented to do that.

Basically never settle for mediocrity. I know this sounds like stupid NFL Sunday pep talk, but the most successful people are extremely driven and always push for more.

In the past I've set what felt like lofty goals, but when I feel that the goal is in sight, I reset those goals to be even higher. In one sense I'm perpetually dissatisfied, but that drive to keep pushing on is what keeps me from stagnating.

I feel like you're looking for divine intervention - like there's some hidden talent within you that you just don't know about, or that there's some particular field that you just haven't discovered yet that you will fall in love with.

Step 1: What do you want? What would you like to achieve? It boils down to the emotional - do you want to be respected? Powerful? Influential?

Pick one of those and start wandering toward that goal. Oftentimes when lost focus on the end, not how you get there, and almost by default you'll choose the path that you like best. Then viola - you have a satisfying career.

Of course this backfires when the end-goal is 'money'. There are a lot of self-hating lawyers who listened to their parents and followed that path simply for the cash. Happy lawyers are those who love power and victory, not money. The money is a nice side effect.

Likewise happy doctors are those that love respect and affecting lives. Again, money is a side effect.

Set your goals to be more emotional, visceral ones and you'll figure out the rest.

Hope that helps.

--Illah

Man I can't believe anyone could hate snow. I don't think I've seen snow stick to the ground in a long time.
    cpu-Intel Core i7 3770k
    ram-G.Skill 2x4gb DDR3-1600
    gpu-Radeon HD 7950
    motherboard-Asus P8Z68-V LE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast