• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just how do you read memtest results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiglyWorm

pict0977ml5.jpg

... but it seems to be telling me I have roughly half a metric ****-ton of errors.

I've been having a lot of BSODs lately, error code 0x0000008e, which seem to point to memmory, so I downloaded memtest and ran it, this is what I got.

It seems to be telling me some "bad things"™... if i'm reading it right.

edit: No clue why it wasn't showing the picture before.

Last edited:
That screen is not a normal result screen for Memtest - it means your system is too unstable to properly run the application.
:)

Yeahhh You just mighhhhtttt have some ram problems there. Id try swaping it out with some other stuff.. Whats your system specs anyway?

pict0977ml5.jpg

... but it seems to be telling me I have roughly half a metric ****-ton of errors.

I've been having a lot of BSODs lately, error code 0x0000008e, which seem to point to memmory, so I downloaded memtest and ran it, this is what I got.

Wigly,

Good advice above. You should avoid entering your operating system until you sort your RAMs out to avoid OS corruption and you do need to post your hardware.

Well... i *WAS* running a Q6600 (originally @3.2, then on stock but still with errors) on an eVGA 680i SLI board, and 2GB of Crucial Tracer DDR-8500 (running at stock the whole time).

The weird part is I'm *now* running on the same Q6600 with a new motherboard (gigabyte p35-DS3R) and new RAM (4 GB OCz DDR 6400) and I'm getting BSODs in Vista but not XP. Everything is currently on stock.

Maybe I should just run a repair instal on Vista?

Which version of memtest is it? I have not seen it before. Probably, like what largon said, it's too unstable

Basically, any errors in memtest is bad. I've never seen that screen either... looks like some things are out of place, or that is some sort of summary view. You running the memtest off a floppy or the BIOS?

Running 4 gigs isn't as simple as plug it in and go.
It's a pretty complicated subject for a single post.
I'd suggest some Googling and reading stickies.

i'll tell you that this is the normal look currently. I have a tiny older version of memtest (on floppy)and it works just fine.. but i burned the most current version and tried it on two computers and it looks just like your's. (all misplaced and akward). I would be more concerned about the errors it found rather than the display. Perhaps they have fixed this version of memtest already, not sure but the one i burned to disc that looks like yours is about 1 week old.

Got other RAM to try?

I've done new motherboard (ruling out the memory controller), i've done new RAM (ruling out the RAM), about all there is left that could be causing errors is the processors L1 or L2 cache. Or am I missing something?

pict0977ml5.jpg

That may be related to a majorly unstable CPU. May be a bad processor chip.

It may be caused by a processor that's blazing, idling at dangerously high temps, such as 82C.

Last edited:
Well, according to coretemp, my computer has once been up to 74 degrees under load while I was overclocking, I immediately stopped all 4 instances of Prime95...

Other than that brief time to see if it could run at 3.5 it's been running at 3.2 GHz, seemingly rock solid.

Maybe I just got a bad chip, or maybe I exacerbated it by trying to OC higher than it wanted to go. I'll have to be more careful next time I OC... I chalk it up to a newb mistake if I indeed did something bad to it.

Oh well, at least it happened before Microcenter's return policy expired. :)

Hey Wigly. I was in the same shoes as you and I about cried when I seen my new RAM with no upc (rebate) and like 8 million errors, but then I found your thread and thought it kind of odd that we both had the EXACT same numbers for our errors. Well I downloaded mem test v3.3 complete change.
Apparently 3.4 still has bugs because 3.4 took about 10 secs and gave a million errors. My 3.3 is still going as I write this and is at 28 mins and counting. 0 errors so far. Try v3.3 I think you'll find it much more trusting :)

Well, according to coretemp, my computer has once been up to 74 degrees under load while I was overclocking, I immediately stopped all 4 instances of Prime95...

Other than that brief time to see if it could run at 3.5 it's been running at 3.2 GHz, seemingly rock solid.

Maybe I just got a bad chip, or maybe I exacerbated it by trying to OC higher than it wanted to go. I'll have to be more careful next time I OC... I chalk it up to a newb mistake if I indeed did something bad to it.

Oh well, at least it happened before Microcenter's return policy expired. :)

74c? wow..... I Would suggest new cooling man. keep that cpu under 70C. nice find fairenough!

Back