• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you have played Mass Effect...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

...what class did you use? Did you regret choosing that class, and what would you use on a second run-through. I'm a chronic restarter in RPG's, and I just want to make sure I'll be happy with my class selection later on. What classes become more powerful than others? Are there skills which are pretty much useless, or other skills that are must-haves? Any advice from people who have beaten the game is appreciated. Other discussion is permissable as well of course. Enjoy.

does other discussion include discussion about pie?

j/k. i'm just curious in this topic as well as i'm considering picking this up as i'll need a solid rpg for my shiny new 360 =D.

I used an Infiltrator my first time. I beat it in about 17-18 hours because it's my brother's game and I can only play on the weekends until I come home for the break. I started my next playthrough as Vanguard like he was and plan on completing most of the game this time. My Infiltrator was really fun even though the only two weapons they can use are the pistol and sniper rifle. The pistol actually does decent damage, and overload, sabotage, and damping are devastating on the enemies. The sniper rifle is excellent at long range so the class was pretty easy to use. The best thing to do is always have a balanced party. Biotics and techs are extremely helpful.

I can't tell how powerful the biotics are. When my party members use them, it's hard to tell how much of the damage they're doing, while I'm busy running around sniping everyone I can find and shotgunning. I might just have to try an adept to see the basics. I've started an engineer to get a feel for the techs, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised, especially against the geth enemies. Would I be correct in assuming biotics are stronger against organics?

Your party members use their biotics and techs well and as long as they don't die they can keep the baddies distracted while you go in for the kill. If they stay alive of course....

Just kind of wondering how the classes compare from someone with more experience with the game. I'm used to RPG's where different classes are substantially different experiences, but this game may be more well balanced than I'm used to.

Mmmm wonder what I'll try..

What are the different classes? I have the game but it sucks since im itching for the day after X-mas to get the box.

BTW how long is it? Saw someone post 17-18 hours, is that straight through the game no side stuff done if thats an option at all.

Yeah I only did like 3 non citadel side quests but if you do more of the game it will take longer. My brother took 25 hours to beat the game. The combat is very similar to a third person shooter so even the classes that are limited to a pistol still do very well in combat. After the first planet it was fairly easy for me on normal difficulty.

For those who don't know and would like to the classes are:

Soldier (Combat)
Adept (Biotic)
Engineer (Tech)
Infiltrator (Combat + Tech)
Vanguard (Combat + Biotic)
Sentinel (Tech + Biotic)

I Still don't know what to think of this damn game. Played it for like 3ish hours. I'm a soldier.

Its far different than Knights of the Old Republic series... It's kinda good and kinda blah and the same time for me.

I enjoyed it a great deal. What is it you don't like about it? It's exactly what I want from an rpg and I'd expect nothing less from Bioware. Fun and functional combat, lots of interesting dialog, and excellent graphics. I give it a 5 out of 5.

I dunno, I expected it to have the same like style of selecting your attack like on KOTOR....and I hate the rover thing. I find that thing vastly annoying....

Oh the Mako is very annoying. The best thing to do really is to just drive past the enemies on those long track like maps. I really like the combat because I come from a shooter background, but you can pause and select your biotics/techs at any time in combat. I wasn't a big fan of the combat in KOTOR, but my brother disliked it even more. Shoot shoot then dodge just wasn't doing it for him.

Back