• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU-Z voltage reading error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i am going to hold off in upping the vcore...i want to run it at the stock 1.35V.

i have been doing a lot of searching online and i hear that a lot of people have the problem with incorrect vcore reporting with cpu z. i just think that it is strange that all the programs i use are detecting the same thing.

can i be reasonably certain that the voltage that i set in the BIOS is actually the voltage being applied to the CPU? if so, i don't really care about the in-Windows programs that are supposed to tell me what it is...

I am hoping to get to 3.3ghz...we'll see:)

Software monitoring is notoriously unreliable.. the only way to truly be sure is to break out hte multimeter....

I am sure someone here can tell you where to measure on your motherboard :)

I have upped the voltage, to 1.4V, and the voltage reading has changed in cpuz and all the other programs...it is now reading close to 1.28V.

Could a faulty power supply be to blame? is there a chance that the motherboard is trying to get the right voltage but the power supply is just under-delivering?

the reason i ask is that i suspect that there may be something wrong with my PSU. twice in the last two days my comp has just shut off...as soon as i press the power button, it reboots, but, it shut off by itself...

I am going to sum up both of your posts in this spot.

I have a similar issue on my AM2 machine. The voltage and temps are off. Keep in mind that I have the Sparta core and a Biostar board.

The voltage is off and does not budge. Even if I manually set it higher. The temps report something like 50C even under load or idle. I updated my BIOS hoping it would correct it. No dice there. I lapped the stock heat sink too. That alone should of got me like 2C or so.

I think the CPU I have, has some issues with it or has something wrong in how it is reporting. All the other sensors on the setup seem to work fine and are within acceptable ranges or normal for the parts.

I haven't had the setup long enough to really dig in. I just got the OS going and the wife did some games. I just wanted to chime in, and let you know that you are not the only one with strange readings.

Put a volt meter on one of the 12V yellow wires, one of your readings is saying 9.98Volts but that would shut down drives and other hardware. It looks like a bad case of droop until you can verify it with a meter.

Looking at the reviews I would put that PSU in your boat for a spare anchor. Get an OCZ, FSP, Seasonic etc.

Edie:
On the shut off problem, I had 4 sticks of ram 4x1024 with the DC set matched. Running stock for a couple of months. On day I got up to find it off. Booted, checked settings and set it back to folding. BAM! went off in a few minutes :mad: Got to talking to H357, said one of his boxen did the same with a bad pair of sticks. Pulled 2 sticks and the problem went away. The only difference is one set was CL5 and the other CL4 but I set both to CL5. I now have 2x2G in place. Point is, Ram can cause problems too.

Last edited:
I've got this same issue but with a different board. I have my Vcore set to 1.5V, but in CPU-Z, SpeedFan, and Everest, it shows up as varying between 1.392V and 1.408V. If my board really droops by 0.1V, that's absolutely ridiculous. This is with the Vcore 100mV offset enabled, as well.

Let me know if you make any ground, I have always thought my chip has more in it, and if it's not getting enough juice I'll never know! I wanted to hit 3.4Ghz! As far as I know my PSU is perfect, I've never had any issues with it.

EDIT:
BlackEdition, look at this post:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5343885&postcount=52

Coreyhm1 has his 5600+ set to 1.425V with your same motherboard. What does CPU-Z show? 1.328V. Just about a 0.1V droop. May be an issue with your board. I think it is with mine as well. :(

Back