• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Resurrects K8 Architecture for 2008 Roadmap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
time will tell friend.

I wish that were the case. AMD has put a stop shipment on all quad core parts apparently. They are broken. I'm not sure if a recall (at least from suppliers) is next, but they don't want anyone selling them. It is pretty much the worst case scenario for AMD.

I think this is probably a smart decision, stop all 90nm manufacturing and focus on 65nm. Focus on getting Phenom/Barcelona to not suck, and you can just pump out K8s to satisfy the OEMs and budget computer systems that have become the only viable option for your product when faced with educated buyers.

I think its a wise decision by AMD, but a decision forced unto them by a weak position.

Enthusiasts, - isnt where the money is at, they dont care about you and never have so dont be fooled, they care about mom and pop and OEM's seelling mid to low end systems.

Yeah I figured that much, that's why they dropped us like a bad habit after all the years of faithful support they got from us :mad:

They doesn't seem to have a choice, they risked everything to stay on top or to supply enthusiasts but didn't work out, they went for native quad on the leaky 65nm hoping maybe they can fix it but backfired, now it is survival mode like VIA, hopefully only till 45nm K10. They still gonna sell the Black Edition for probably a resonable price, but that's all they can do for now, if only they had come out with dual core K10 half a year ago.

ok I give up

LOL didn't want to read that :D

goes to purchase his q6600 from newegg lol

Last edited:
Hardin, thanks for the link, it's actually good news with a new product line from one already in production. (No heat at you by the way, flames on DT).

It sounds like Daily tech has a case of Anand's disease. (I love Intel so I'll bash everything AMD does). With AMD having a false start early this year and then finding it's flagship has more than just a leak leaves it vulnerable. Like the vultures they are the media uses any chance it gets to turn any story cynical. I just RMAed a Phenom for replacement but I'm not going to go around throwing out bs just to sound good to the peeps. AMD is going to pull up soon, beat Intel is unlikely at this point. As Ryan said, it's a 45nm line.

DT has no such 'disease',And Anand is very fair and extremely impartial.The fact you and others are RMA'ing your chips and reporting it/posting it,does all the damage needed.AMD has no one to blame right now,but themselves.
Management,engineering,and marketing,have all shot themsleves in the foot repeatedly this year.In January,I predicted 6 straight losses and a share price of 7 dollars,I'm getting close.The big layoffs must be right around the corner at this point.

They have gone well out of thier way,to **** on the headway they made in the server field,with this horrid handling of the 'ERRATA',and a myriad of other
issues.

The fact they are 'falling back' on K8 says much about thier confidence in K10 on the desktop next year,as well as possibly,potential K10 yields.More so when you see them talk openly,about moving Toliman forward (obviously yields are horrible) It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out....

It still smells like a panic move to me.

Close,but thats not the whole reason.

DT has no such 'disease',And Anand is very fair and extremely impartial.The fact you and others are RMA'ing your chips and reporting it/posting it,does all the damage needed.AMD has no one to blame right now,but themselves.
Management,engineering,and marketing,have all shot themsleves in the foot repeatedly this year.In January,I predicted 6 straight losses and a share price of 7 dollars,I'm getting close.The big layoffs must be right around the corner at this point.

They have gone well out of thier way,to **** on the headway they made in the server field,with this horrid handling of the 'ERRATA',and a myriad of other
issues.

The fact they are 'falling back' on K8 says much about thier confidence in K10 on the desktop next year,as well as possibly,potential K10 yields.More so when you see them talk openly,about moving Toliman forward (obviously yields are horrible) It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out....

Close,but thats not the whole reason.
You're starting the typical argument "you and others are RMA'ing your chips". So far I'm the only one RMA'ing because it actually failed. I will post the same if I buy an ever Intel and it fails. I believe in putting forth information others can use to help with their rigs.
About the Anandtech issue, I've been wondering how many people are watching. Although I respect his articles, he used his review column on AMD to promote Intel. Are these reviewers and companies that valuable to you that you would attack other memmers of this and other forums. You're baiting members here by predicting the downfall of AMD. Hey, the minimum Intel chip starts at $301 next year and rising! Good, cause AMD can now afford to raise theirs. *New Egg is now selling the Phenom 9500 at 299 as of this post.
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but Daily used their good name to post inflated info regardless of if XYZ Co. implodes tomorrow. Some of what is posted on those sites is either copied from another site or conjecture by someone that overheard something. Most of it is actual facts but somewhat inflated. I've written in to INQ for inflating stories. When you click on the links or find the real story behind that blurb it's a whole different story.

You're starting the typical argument "you and others are RMA'ing your chips". So far I'm the only one RMA'ing because it actually failed. I will post the same if I buy an ever Intel and it fails. I believe in putting forth information others can use to help with their rigs.
About the Anandtech issue, I've been wondering how many people are watching. Although I respect his articles, he used his review column on AMD to promote Intel. Are these reviewers and companies that valuable to you that you would attack other memmers of this and other forums. You're baiting members here by predicting the downfall of AMD. Hey, the minimum Intel chip starts at $301 next year and rising! Good, cause AMD can now afford to raise theirs. *New Egg is now selling the Phenom 9500 at 299 as of this post.
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings but Daily used their good name to post inflated info regardless of if XYZ Co. implodes tomorrow. Some of what is posted on those sites is either copied from another site or conjecture by someone that overheard something. Most of it is actual facts but somewhat inflated. I've written in to INQ for inflating stories. When you click on the links or find the real story behind that blurb it's a whole different story.

To be honest I don't see any problem with Anandtech's article. He had a rant about Lake Tahoe, he didn't like being 'bribed' by AMD, that's his call.

Not sure where you got the $301 figure from, the Q9300 is replacing the Q6600 as the 'mainstream' quad, and will be at the same $266 pricepoint.

If anything, I see AMD lowering their Phenom prices, because there is no way they are going to charge $300 for a Phenom 9700 unless they are utterly delusional as to where they stand in price/performance against the competition.

My bad $319 http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4577&Itemid=1. I think enthusiast will want more cache than the 9300.
Hey he had a bad day. I've read and enjoyed many of his articles and he happened to Plop a story about penryn on Page 2 where I felt it should have been the Spider platform. Don't sweat it, he dissapointed me. His Mac OS article was kind of neat.
--
Moving along
---
AMD is coming back within 3 months with some great chips. If you need one now and hate Intel, Phenom chip will take a small hit with the next BIOS up. I don't see a big deal as I'm in control of the software I intend to use it for. I'm interested to see what comes of the B3 or C0 release.

Hurt my feelings ? You surely jest ! :D If you do post the same about an Intel chip I will applaud you,and your right to speak on whatever issues you are having with your hardware,as well as seek assistance.Anand did no such thing,now Kyle and others might fall into that category,if you really reached for it (he reviewed the 45nm uber qaud,with Phenom,Anand did not,and called out others for doing so...) As to attacks,I have attacked no one as yet.Show me where exactly,these alleged attacks took place,please.I am curious to see them myself. :) I have merely stated the obvious,to those not yet blinded by marketing,personal feelings,and thier own fanboism.

I will be happy to see them both raise prices,as whats going on now,is only hurting the profits of both companies bottom line.Some of us care more for the bottom line and stock prices then the chips.As to higher prices in the future,it was not so long ago,AMD was charging an arm and a leg for the X2's/FX's.It was Intel that came to the enthusiast rescue by offering low price C2D with excellent performance,stock or 'oc'd.This forced AMD's hand into lowering prices.Newegg's Phenoms are too pricy,Try NCIX

AMD can be just as greedy as any other corporation.They are no saints,and are just as dirty as Intel when given the chance.

DT are doing their job,reporting the news,nothing more.As is Scotts The Tech Report and our very own Ed.Just as you say you have a right to express your dissatisfaction with an AMD cpu of late,so do they have such a right.It cuts both ways I'm afraid ...

Whats really interesting to me,is how many in the tech community are kid gloving the issues with AMD.

AMD is coming back within 3 months with some great chips. If you need one now and hate Intel, Phenom chip will take a small hit with the next BIOS up. I don't see a big deal as I'm in control of the software I intend to use it for. I'm interested to see what comes of the B3 or C0 release.

Yeah, that's what we heard all year long, in few months AMD releases something, K10 B2, B3 whatever what's gonna own C2D...

Back