• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use this Hanns-G monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcticPenguin

28" w/ 27.5" viewable
Hanns-G HG-281DJB

Model
Brand Hanns·G
Model HG-281DPB
Cabinet Color Black
Display
Screen Size 28" (27.5" Viewable Area)
Widescreen Yes
Recommended Resolution 1920 x 1200
Viewing Angle 160°(H) / 160°(V)
Pixel Pitch 0.309mm
Display Colors 16.7 Million
Brightness 500 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 800:1
Response Time 3ms
Panel Active Matrix, TFT LCD
Display Type WUXGA
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility Analog RGB, Digital
Connectors D-Sub
D-Sub 1
DVI No
HDMI HDMI w/ HDCP
Power
Complies with EPA Energy Star
Power Supply 100VAC - 240VAC, 50/60Hz Autodetect
Power Consumption 65W Maximum
Convenience
User Controls OSD in 11 languages
Regulatory Approvals FCC; UL; C-UL; CE; BSMI; C-Tick; TCO’06; VCCI; CB; CCC; NEMKO/Bau-Mark
Stand Adjustments Tilt
Built in TV Tuner No
Built in Speakers 2.5W x 2 Channel Built-In Stereo Speakers
Features Kensington Lock
Mounting: VESA Standard Mounting Points
Panel Treatment: Anti Glare Hardcoating
Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista
Dimensions
Dimensions (W×H×D) 26.4"x 19.2" x 8.4"
Weight 24 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 3 years limited
Labor 3 years limited

=============

the only thing im really unsure of is the connection to my video card, im looking to upgrade my 20" widescreen display (apple cinema) to this bad boy, i like the stats (better response time than the apple lines, same resolution as the Dells 27 inch etc etc), but imnot sure if HDMI-DVI is suitable or if VGA to DVI is suitable either especially if its analog to digital..i mean my other monitor is a MAG innovision 19" connection vga todviand no issue son my pc machine but im not sur eif the macpro's atix1900xt video card will have issues with it, my current 32inch display isnt bad, but i cant do graphic work witha 1366x768 reso. lol

so i figured id get any opinions on this Hanns-G company i have heard pretty good stuff about them, and if anyone has a 28" and if they like it or not?

499$ @ newegg or 549$ at my local best buy, im gonna stop by there and check it out, bring my labtop and connect the cables see, how well it looks.

any suggestions or experience with the company and or the monitor itself would be helpful!

thanks again guys!

Samsung

Why can't u do any graphic editing with that monitor. I have a Samsung 32inch widescreen lcd with a native resolution of 1366x768 with a 3000:1 contrast ratio and 5ms response time and it looks freaking great, all games look wonderful on it, have digital and analog and hd built in tv tuners and has a hell of alot more hookups than that does. Im using vga to get all the resolutions i want and i do alot of sig making etc. in photoshop on it.

I have a 19" Widescreen HannsG with native resoltion 1440x900 and I LOVE it. I read amazing reviews about Hanns G and I gotta say I am an extremely happy customer!

You can't go wrong man.

what kind of videocard do you use, and is it a straight vga-to-vga or like a vga-to-dvi cable?

Why can't u do any graphic editing with that monitor. I have a Samsung 32inch widescreen lcd with a native resolution of 1366x768 with a 3000:1 contrast ratio and 5ms response time and it looks freaking great, all games look wonderful on it, have digital and analog and hd built in tv tuners and has a hell of alot more hookups than that does. Im using vga to get all the resolutions i want and i do alot of sig making etc. in photoshop on it.

its too blotchy..web texts are too uncrisp like my 20" and my 19" - nothinglooks as accurate as id like it to be or what im used to, and considering its a hdtv (prettymuch used to just watche/reference videos from my system) its not specificall a good choice of monitor except there isa Westinghouse 37" 1080p for 799$ @ tigerdirect i might persue if this 28" doesnt work out. =)

thanks for the tips.

ITs vga to vga, i tried going dvi to hdmi and i couldnt' get the native resolution in games so it cut half the game out only vga would work correctly unless there has been some updates in the nvidia drivers. I haven't tried in almost a year. I have an Evga 512mb 8600gts

this particular model is hardly the top of the line - very uneven backlightning, viewing angles pretty bad as well.

if those two things are not a problem for you though, go for it - the colors are pretty good and the response time is excellent.

Welllllll i gave in, first i brought my labtop to the bestbuy with my own hdmi>dvi cable and i was amazed at the quality of the picture, text looked crisp on both OSX and XP Pro.
the resolution automatically adjusted and everything was proper, videos playbacked excellent and highdef videos looked great.

the built in speakers are pretty loud, in a good way, since moving my system to a different room with lack of space for the 5.1 system, this serves as a pretty good temporary sound set up to watch web videos and whatnot.

and i was stunned that there were no dead or stuck pixels at all, first time ever buying a monitor and thatnever happened. over all im pretty satisfied.

i was just confused when i found a same exact specs of the same brand and size monitor on newegg for 499$ but bestbuy doesnt match online etailers prices i guess.

but the newegg version is 281-DPB while Besbuy is 21-DJB not sure what might be the difference.

thanks everyone for the input ,i dont notice alot of uneveness as far as backlighting or angles go, its pretty dead on from my perspective and im about 3ft away from it.

the only thing im partial to is the fact is looks like a glossy screen, because alot of things are much darker, i have the brightness at 70% and the contrast at 70% and not sure how to calibrate it like my other displays, i notice alot of thigns are darker, idk, ill keep it for a few days before making up my mind if its something i wanna keep or not, so far itsnot bad but i really hte color accuracy.

ifanyone has any tipson that let me knowid be more thanwilling to learn something new - thanks again!

Last edited:
if it works for you - great, no reason to look for some minor imperfections. use vid. card drivers to tweak it, the built-in menu is somewhat of a pain.

if it works for you - great, no reason to look for some minor imperfections. use vid. card drivers to tweak it, the built-in menu is somewhat of a pain.

its wonderful though the darks...are wll really dark and maybe ill get used to it but sinmce i work with alot of dark photography and graphics - it could be im not used to it yet..but hm i appreciate the insight.

do you currently use this model or a different size of this brand?

I assume by graphics you mean print?

High resolutions make life much easier when doing photo editing and layout. You don't have to scroll so much. Also it makes certain tasks (like making large curves with the vector point tool in photoshop) much easier. The biggest advantage is being able to put a full page layout at 100% on screen.

----

You can probably fix some of the darkness issues through Color Sync. Actually, does it come with/have an Apple Provided color sync/ICC profile? Unless you have pantone swatches to go off of, you'll probably want to be sure you're using some sort of calibrated profile. If it doesn't but you can borrow a calibration meter, jump at it.

Colors can vary greatly from system to system and ESPECIALLY from Mac to PC due to Gamma differences. Some of my mom's clients (mostly in the cosmetics industry where color precision on a display piece or catalog matters) will try to have colors changed because their monitors show the colors darker than they really are. Thankfully her printer's don't mind making proofs well in advance of the actual run hehe.

My mom happens to have pantone swatches (carry overs from before color correction and in some cases before computers :D) to compliment her Cinema Display so she has little trouble with precise colors.

----

Also a monitor is a monitor is a monitor to a Mac. So long as it's VGA or DVI and your computer has the matching port (with an adapter in the case of ADC), it'll work just fine.

In terms of response rate, just as an FYI, that mostly applies to video and gaming. You'd have to have a truly horrible response rate to have sheering or ghosting when doing photo editing or layout :D. Response rate is sort of like the refresh rate on CRTs but unlike a slow refresh rate, a high response rate won't kill your eyes when you're dealing with text/graphics or low speed animations.

I assume by graphics you mean print?

High resolutions make life much easier when doing photo editing and layout. You don't have to scroll so much. Also it makes certain tasks (like making large curves with the vector point tool in photoshop) much easier. The biggest advantage is being able to put a full page layout at 100% on screen.

----

You can probably fix some of the darkness issues through Color Sync. Actually, does it come with/have an Apple Provided color sync/ICC profile? Unless you have pantone swatches to go off of, you'll probably want to be sure you're using some sort of calibrated profile. If it doesn't but you can borrow a calibration meter, jump at it.

Colors can vary greatly from system to system and ESPECIALLY from Mac to PC due to Gamma differences. Some of my mom's clients (mostly in the cosmetics industry where color precision on a display piece or catalog matters) will try to have colors changed because their monitors show the colors darker than they really are. Thankfully her printer's don't mind making proofs well in advance of the actual run hehe.

My mom happens to have pantone swatches (carry overs from before color correction and in some cases before computers :D) to compliment her Cinema Display so she has little trouble with precise colors.

----

Also a monitor is a monitor is a monitor to a Mac. So long as it's VGA or DVI and your computer has the matching port (with an adapter in the case of ADC), it'll work just fine.

In terms of response rate, just as an FYI, that mostly applies to video and gaming. You'd have to have a truly horrible response rate to have sheering or ghosting when doing photo editing or layout :D. Response rate is sort of like the refresh rate on CRTs but unlike a slow refresh rate, a high response rate won't kill your eyes when you're dealing with text/graphics or low speed animations.

Thanks for tha tinformation, you know ive been working with a variety of monitors for years and well it always took some to adjust and get them corrct, so some of my photography and graphics i design and produce looked different over the years due to going from a 17inch lcd to a 19" lcd to a 20" widescreen apple cinema display to this 28" best. the resolution and definition is perfect, i justhtink i need to learn how to calibrate the contrasting of the darks, i can thtink of an example off hand but for example there is a photo proof i took of a clients project and on my labtop running osx it shows pretty good, the apple cinema display (20") on OSX and XP (my system has both) w/ a ati x1900xt shows it similarly - its just on here the darkness and contrast of the graphic is really dark on this monitor and im still learninghow to properly calibrate and adjust monitors as the previous ones were pretty much automated and did a good joba nd just did their thing, so far this has done it i just wouldnt mind fixing up that darkness issue on darker graphics.

i mean aside from plopping down 1400$ on a ACD 30" this is the next best thing in my budget =)

on my mac under os x - it auto detected and resolutes it perfectly, same with XP (under bootcamp),whites are nice and bright and mid tones are perfect

any good recommendations on color correction/calibration programs for either OS?

again thanks for the tips!

take care!

----------
PS

some of the graphic work im doing is for this recording artist:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind....viewPicture&friendID=65510933&albumId=468835

it might require ana ccount with that site to view pictures unfortunately. i edited some of the photos, some were as is and i added graphical effects/content over it and thats similar to the majority of work i deal with, more darker images/greyscale based.

or here is another photography project i helped with:
http://infinetivity.com/~jdcljs/josh/wedding/wedding.html

if you select the photos (holding down the left button and dragging over the photo you can see how much a difference it is) the selection looks like its suppose to on my other monitor but this one deepens the color)

just to give you an idea.

----------------

Last edited:
just a quick update - i did manage to calibrate it, i stopped by another retailer to look at their settings as it looked really great on display the colors were perfect, so i just took a note of theirs and tested out some of the settings on mine and the photos and graphics that were richer/deeper in darks now look as they were on my other display.
so now the settings are pretty accurate and still rich and deep but overall not too intense.

the settings i changed were under color settings and changed it from User to 9300°K
RED - 86
GREEN - 90
BLUE - 100

thanks for the tips again guys!

its wonderful though the darks...are wll really dark and maybe ill get used to it but sinmce i work with alot of dark photography and graphics - it could be im not used to it yet..but hm i appreciate the insight.

do you currently use this model or a different size of this brand?

i have the model they carry on newegg. not sure what the difference is.

can't really say i know how to set-up a monitor for graphics work, not my area.

seems you figured it out though :p

yeah i saw the same model on newegg at a local microcenter, brought a labtop to test it and i saw no difference compared to the one i purchased best buy, i mean its obviously not the top of line but it does its job pretty well.

yeah the settings were:
brightness 100
contrast 70

color settings:
user - red 100, green 100, blue 100

so i changed it to the 9300K and it looked much better watching videos and working on pictures, black arent as deep as they were before. and gets the job done well.

if i had room i would have gotten two but im still getting used to this set up haha.

may i ask mcoleg, what kind of settings are yours set to?

Can you tell me if you can run the full 1920x1200 resolution through the VGA port? I heard reports that you can't. . . .thanks!

just 6500 and reduced brightness, about 80-ish. i play with digital vibrancy in nvidia's control panel from time to time but haven't found a setting worth keeping.

yah, i think i did 1920x1200 through vga. shouldn't be any problem.

hm sweet, thanks for that, i recently switched to the 6500 colored with 70 brightness and contrast at 70.

my only issue at this point is;
since im using HDMI -> DVI (to the back of my MacPro's ATI X1900XT gfx card)
i see diagonal lines in darkish grey areas/backgrounds/websites, specifically the grey areas on this forum, mainly at certain angles...im wondering if thats an issue with the monitor itself or what? because under XP i dont see any of that. its perfectly fine.

i tried vga but i got some slight ghosting in XP and sort in OS X but with the VGA->DVI connector the scan lines are no long apparent in OS X.
SO im wondering now if it had something to do with the cabling or what?

my current resolution is 1920x1200, other colors look fine while using the hdmi-dvi cable, i cleaned off the cable and ports thinking theres dust, i mean some sites do it some dont, im not entirely sure why, im hoping its not a big issue at all because as iam typing this (under OSX i can see the "scan" diagonal lines" i guess i must have never notices that, on the grey pportions of the site before.

hm...still trying to learn this beast, i got till the end of the week decide if is should keep it or return and it get a 23" Apple Display for 100$ less (discount)

i like it its just the whole diagonal scanning, ive seen it before in some monitors but to be honest its unbearable after you notice it.

Last edited:
just 6500 and reduced brightness, about 80-ish. i play with digital vibrancy in nvidia's control panel from time to time but haven't found a setting worth keeping.

yah, i think i did 1920x1200 through vga. shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks, mcoleg.

One last question: does this monitor have a 1:1 mode? I've heard conflicting reports, particularly as it relates to a dedicated 1080p setting?

vga->dvi i get full 1920x1200 aspect ratio and doesnt look bad, looks on par with the the HDMI>DVI cable

here are my computer graphic specifications, i tried hooking up the monitor to two different systems,
1) MacPro w/ ATI x1900xt graphics
Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140
Displays:
Hanns.G HG281:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes

2) my MacBookPro Labtop with a GeForce 8600GT

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Hanns.G HG281:

On my labtiop (macbookpro) i dont see those scan lines (and that is exclusively running OSX and pretty much the same settings, cable and resolution as i was conencting it to my ati x1900xt graphics card.

so im wondering is it my graphics card that is making these line scans or is it the monitor?

XP doesnt do it with either vga or dvi cabling so im sort of stumped.

vga->dvi i get full 1920x1200 aspect ratio and doesnt look bad, looks on par with the the HDMI>DVI cable

here are my computer graphic specifications, i tried hooking up the monitor to two different systems,
1) MacPro w/ ATI x1900xt graphics
Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Slot: Slot-1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140
Displays:
Hanns.G HG281:
Core Image: Supported

2) my MacBookPro Labtop with a GeForce 8600GT

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Built-In: Yes
Main Display: Yes
Hanns.G HG281:

On my labtiop (macbookpro) i dont see those scan lines (and that is exclusively running OSX and pretty much the same settings, cable and resolution as i was conencting it to my ati x1900xt graphics card.

so im wondering is it my graphics card that is making these line scans or is it the monitor?

XP doesnt do it with either vga or dvi cabling so im sort of stumped.

ArticPenguin,

If XP isn't displaying this banding, I'd say that there is some issue with either OSX or the particular video card drivers installed. I don't know much about macs, so I'm sorry that I can't offer more. Could it be the disparity between the ATI and nVidia cards?

Also, when you display your laptop at 1440x900, does it stretch that image to fill the screen, or is there a 1:1 pixel mapping mode that you're aware of?

Just to be clear on your earlier post, when you said you used "vga-->dvi" and got the full 1920x1200 resolution, do you mean that you used the vga input on the monitor (presumably using the dvi-to-vga adapter on your video card)?

Thanks.

Back