• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA775 and 8-pin cpu connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

So, I'm about to order more or less an entire new computer. But, I happened to open newegg's image viewer for the Abit IP35-E that I'm planning on, and raised a red flag:
One of the labels on the overhead shot of the board is labelled 8-pin cpu power connector. Now, the issue I'm worried about is that my power supply [which I'm planning on re-using] only has a 4-pin cpu power connector. Do I have to buy an upgraded psu as well?

On a not-so related note, the board also has an "additional power connector" that looks like a standard 4-pin molex plugs into it. What's that for?

You can use the 4 pin still for the CPU power. I do and haven't had any problems. As for the molex connector, I believe that is for the PCI-E power. Once again I don't use it and don't have any problems.

Whew *wipes his forehead* Thought I was going to have to wait for another Saturday's worth of overtime ;) Thanks!

in my evga manual it says 8pin is for quad cores and 4 pin for duals and lower. since my psu has 2 8 pin plugs (4+4 and second 8 pin) i just plugged the 8 pin plug and its working with my celeron fine, i also have the addition power plug and my manual says its for sli but i have a single card.

but as said above you should be fine with the 4 pin plug, just plug in it the proper spot (i think one side is covered. i'm not sure if it matters though.

Back