• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer... is it that bad?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White_Pawn

It's been a whole 5 years already!!! Still can't believe it, but along with graduating, comes a prized 'going to be' possession... the laptop :santa:

I don't think i'll be given very much money for my laptop, so i'm hoping to find something for ~1k CAD. At the same time, being the PC enthusiast i am, i can't stand a slow pc.

I've found something that has met all my requirements. No larger than 15.4inch, big HDD, dualcore C2D, 2gigs of ram, decent videocard.

behold... the Acer 5720-6279... (i've heard bad stories from you guys, so now is your time to convince me not to buy this thing.)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26678&vpn=LX.AMC0X.086&manufacture=Acer&promoid=1051

T5250 ATI 2600 512MB 2GB 200GB 15.4IN WXGA DVDRW Vista Premium Notebook

...the great thing about it... its only $900! (after the sale.)

Actually i loved my beloved acer. Their support was incredible, fast, and they took my laptop into the depot becauase of something I did (my cat broke my audio ports) AND it was only gone for 1 day.. i'd go for it myself :)

for me any acer i have handled including their ferrari model, the keyboard feel cheap and plasticy and i know they have had ****ty batteries, ones that didnt give anywhere near the battery life they claimed.

for me any acer i have handled including their ferrari model, the keyboard feel cheap and plasticy and i know they have had ****ty batteries, ones that didnt give anywhere near the battery life they claimed.

Mine still gives 2 hours. I have ot admit, mine felt cheap though. It lasted for me, though, and i loved it. my sisters is 4 years old

my X g/f has an Acer the cheaper sub $1000 model and her is still running good after 2 years with general usage.

Their support was really good for me when the moniter I bought from them came with terrible bleeding.

We have several Acer laptops at work and have had no problems, I am going to buy my son a Acer for Xmas tomorrow as they have some darn good deals going like a C2D, 2GB DDR2, HD2600 512mb for $799 which is a heck of a deal for any laptop with a real graphics card....

Great computers for the price.

Realize you get what you pay for though.

I had an acer 5672 (t2300 ati x1600 1gb ram, 120gb hdd) that i paid ~1000 for from Egg last June. It was very plasticy and heavy.

It is no lenovo build quality like what I have now, but for the money, yes I would buy one again.

Except from the battery lifetime, i like my Acer quite a lot. Got it at about this time of the year, 2 years ago and it still works flawlessly. I haven't even re-formatted the hard drive since then. But granted, i do take care of it :)

My only gripe is that stupid battery... works for about 45 minutes at this moment when i reduce the LCD luminosity. Used to be close to 1h45 when i first got it .

If i had money, and if i needed a new laptop, i'd most probably get another Acer.

<3 Acer. I don't really have anything to add... what people said about them so far is accurate. You get what you pay for and the battery life tends to degrade rather quickly - I've lost about 30 minutes in 9 months.

Actually i loved my beloved acer. Their support was incredible, fast, and they took my laptop into the depot becauase of something I did (my cat broke my audio ports) AND it was only gone for 1 day.. i'd go for it myself :)

How the XXXX does you cat break the audio ports!!?!?!?!?!??!!??!

How the XXXX does you cat break the audio ports!!?!?!?!?!??!!??!

I had my head set plugged in, and he was playing with the cord that weas dangling down. He pulled on it so hard, that the audio jacks broke inside the lappy, and i couldn't get proper sound. I even explained this to the Acer guy! He laughed, and gave me my RMA :)

I had my head set plugged in, and he was playing with the cord that weas dangling down. He pulled on it so hard, that the audio jacks broke inside the lappy, and i couldn't get proper sound. I even explained this to the Acer guy! He laughed, and gave me my RMA :)

if feel like ive read this post somewhere

/end threadjack

I have been planning on getting a lappy

that seems like a pretty good deal

Well I know this really isn't apples to apples but I like my Acer LCD monitor. I've had it for about a year now and no issues what so ever with it (no dead pixels), the build quality is as good as I would expect, feels solid, nothing bad jumped out at me while handling it. It was also a very good price, about $180 for 19" wide screen.

Only downfall is more of a personal thing, I switched from a 19" CRT and I was a bit disappointed that it only handled 1440x900 vs my prior 1600x1200, I knew this before buying but I didn't think it would make such a difference. But I'm use to it now.

Any way I would buy from them again.

I <3 my Acer. I bought the 450$ budget model and it is still going storng after almost 2 years. Their displays are awesome!

Back