• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[OFFICIAL] Free ICD7 thermal compound for OCF members Results Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just swapped over from AS Ceramique to this today. Upon initial installation, these are my results. Keep in mind this is on a CoolerMaster Hyper 6+ HS with 2x 80mm fans push-pull at about 1800-2000rpm.

Ambient: 18C

AS Ceramique:
Idle: 35C
Load: 45C

ICD7:
Idle: 28C
Load: 39-40C

These are my initial results on my main rig in my sig. A64 Venice 3500@ 2.5Ghz, stock vcore. Will keep this updated after a few days of testing.

Last edited:
Add my data and impressions here.

I really dislike the consistency. It just won't spread at all on lapped surfaces. Intuitively, I prefer spreading a superthin layer over the core when I know I am dealing with true flat surfaces. Using the center pea method makes sense to me when you aren't sure your contact surface is flat--then it'll work its way into the areas that need it. Anyway, spreading it thin was just not possible on my lapped IHS.

System:
e4300 allendale, lapped, at 9*350 1.45v, Abit AW9D-max, stock Coolermaster Geminii with 2xYate Loon D12SL at 12v.

Both AS5 and ICD7 were burned in with about 3 hours of Folding. Temps were measured as the average of Core Temp 0.95 at minute 3 to minute 4 of a Orthos small FFTs load.

AS5
Idle 31c
Load 62c

ICD7
Idle 30c
Load 63c

navig

thanks JoeC!

I received a tube of this stuff today and I have to finish my encoding of a movie first. So this is reserved for a future post.

1000659qh4.jpg

-----------------------

Test Rig:

Shuttle XPC
Sempron 2800+ OC'd to 2.25ghz @ 1.35v ( Socket 754 )
2x512mb Crucial Valueram PC3200
Seagate 320gb SATA II hard drive
Leaktek 6800LE AGP graphics card fully unlocked with voltage mod. (Installed a new heatsink on the card as my other fan exploded.) I overheat frequently so I am dying to try new thermal paste on this. Running it at 357/865.
My only fan in the case is the 90mm case fan out the back. It is set to run at 1100rpm.

Ambient temperature for PC is 67*F.
Load temperature while re-encoding a Bluray DVD: 60*C
Ambient case temperature: 46*C
Idle GPU temperature: 77*C

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

After installing a pea sized amount on my shuttle heatpipe, I was shocked on how much better it was than the normal thermal paste I was using from within just bootup.

Idle Temps with Shuttle White Thermal Paste: 43*C
Idle Temps with IC7: 39*C

Load with Shuttle White Thermal Paste: 65*C
Load with IC7: 58*C

I have a 7*C drop in temps using this stuff. Fantastic !!!

Last edited:
1 hour prime95 with quad @ 3.6 and tuniq tower stock fan on high 1.4v on all test

AS5
idle 38 37 37 36
load 57 57 56 55

MX-2
idle 37 37 34 33
load 56 56 54 54

ICD7

Much better temp so far stuff was pretty thick as well put about the size of a pea and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then let cpu spread it out for me :)

idle 36 35 32 30
load 54 54 52 51

GPU Accelero S1 with stock paste which i think is mx-1
idle 33c core memory 29
load 38c memory 35

ICD7
idle 31c memory 29
load 36c memory 35

MX-2 Didn't do this yet will do after a week use of ICD7 on gpu since its easier to change gpu paste :D

overall it seems this stuff is pretty good i will see how it does in the long run :)

Thanks for the free ICD7 Paste :beer: :santa:

I just got my tube today, gonna get to work on it after I get the baseline readings. Thanks a bunch JoeC, my AS5 tube was really old.

I was wondering if there were any recommendations for storing IC7 long term, like how AS5 should be refrigerated and stored upright.

I have tubes that have been sitting around my office for a year and half with no separation or hardening.

Probably have a tube from the first batch of AS-5...And 5 or 6 more to go with it.

It looks just like the newest tube I have...No seperation, no hardening...Looks good to go to me anyway.

How much for a GPU core? Still the JOLLY GREEN GIANT 3D pea size?

I don't want the trouble of re-doing my CPU again, but I need to install a new GPU cooler.

I was too lazy to do any CPU testing with the ICD7 since that would require taking the motherboard out and the Tuniq isn't the easiest to mount properly.

So I decided to pull out my BFG 7900GS and replace the AS5. Testing was done using ATItool to simulate load temps. The computer was given 45 minutes to "warm up" to get an accurate idle temp with the new TIM. Ambient temp was 72-73F.

----------------------------------

Arctic Silver 5:
Idle - 44-45 C
Load - 50-51 C

Innovation Cooling Diamond 7:
Idle - 39-40 C
Load - 48-49 C

When I took off the heatsink the AS5 had a perfect distribution pattern, so I got that right when I did it a while back. The D7 was applied using the 'bean' drop in the center and than plopping down the cooler to spread the TIM. With the better temps I achieved, I'm guessing I got just the right amount on there. I believe I read one other user report initially better temperatures that went back up to match his old temps after a day or two so it will be interesting to see if that happens in this case.

I've been a long-time AS5 user, but it seems this new product may be a very good alternative.

Finally got around to putting the Zalman 9700 onto the E4300. Pea method was used with the IC7, AS5 was spread over the chip in a thin layer like I usually do.

Arctic Silver 5:
Idle - 41-42 C
Load - 67-68 C

Innovation Cooling Diamond 7:
Idle - 39-40 C
Load - 67-68 C

Idle temps seemed to improve, but load temps were basically identical to the AS5.

Last edited:
Here's what I got after a couple days of curing:

Baseline (AS5)
Ambient:70F/21C

Idle
CPU: 25C/30C )(+4/+9)

Load
CPU:55/55(+34/+34)

IC7
Ambient:60F/15C

Idle
CPU:18C/23C(+3/+8)

Load
CPU:42C/42C(+27/+27)

Stress app:Orthos
CPU temps:coretemp
Ambient: from AC unit controller
I couldn't find a reliable app for system temp, Easytune was -10C compared to coretemp and the system temp never budged.

My A/C unit for the floor I'm on is broken, hence the big difference in ambient. So going by the delta between ambient and CPU temp I got negligible improvement at idle and pretty significant improvement at load. Very nice.:beer: I hope comparing it this way is OK, if not feel free to correct me.

I'll also update this after Christmas, once I finish playing with my presents:santa:

Ok, after letting it idle all night here are my results:

E6600 @ 3.33Ghz
1.416V idle
1.432V load

AS5:

Ambient: 69F
29/30C idle
53/53C 9 minutes ORTHOS blend

IC7:

Ambient 68F
27/27C idle
52/52C 9 minutes ORTHOS blend

Notes* The paste is really really thick and doesn't seem to like sticking to the IHS very much. I pressed on the table with my Zalman 9500 to see how much it spread and it spread nearly nowhere as easily as AS5 did, so I would try to use a vertical line on the IHS when the arrow is facing SW on a dual core C2D, like on Arctic Cooling's website.
Or the pea that people are talking about.

got mine 2 days ago. will be testing on the system in my sig. currently using ocz 5+ paste on the processor. stock TIM is still on the northbridge. hoping for a nice gain there.

thanks, JoeC.:santa: how did you mail this stuff for only $.14???

Just got my tube in yesterday. Here are my baseline results using ASC. I'll try and install the IC7 tonight and let it cure for the rest of the week before I edit my post for results.

Setup: A64 3400+ @2.53GHZ 1.392V

Temp reading: Coretemp
Benchmark: Prime95

ASC:
Ambient: 67F
Idle: 32C
Load: 46C

IC7:
Ambient: 69F
Idle: 31C
Load: 44C

Edit: Overall temp drop from ASC to IC7 was pretty impressive. I didn't expect extremely high temps considering my cpu isn't exactly highly overclocked. Its even more impressive considering that I'm not producing that much heat and yet I'm still able to see a difference in temps. I'll be moving to watercooling once my radiators are painted so I'll finally be able to crank up the voltage some more. I'll try and post results of my setup on water after I get everything done.

Attachments

• ASC-Idle.jpg
    ASC-Idle.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 797
  • ASC-Load.jpg
    ASC-Load.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 794
  • IC7-Idle.jpg
    IC7-Idle.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 794
  • IC7-Load.jpg
    IC7-Load.jpg