• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[OFFICIAL] Free ICD7 thermal compound for OCF members Results Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I paid for my six tubes of IC7, put it on everything I own and the outstanding original application results have not wavered at all and my two day old build is 1-2 C above ambient surface temp next to the case at idle. I will load it up soon.

2 day old build: ek supreme cpu block, 1 p.a. 120.3, 1 p.a. 160, 2 eheim pumps.

pics@ www.411overkill.com (forums/members rigs)

Additionally, I used IC7 to buff off some crud on my waterblock, its so fine that it serves as a fine lapping, you gotta try rubbing it into the water block, not too much pressure, just enough to buff clean, it works wonders. Don't try and spread it out onto smooth surfaces when applying, just use the jolly green giant pea and screw that sucker down tight. I don't know how much pressure I'm using on the new build but its definitely more downward pressure than recommended.

It would be really nice to have a fat tube of this stuff for sale instead of several mini tubes. Throw in one of those spreaders too :)

Thanks people, HawaiiSuperman,AmbientFiction,Voodoo Rufus,Nebulous,maxfly for the updates and results, much appreciated

This is 1 of a number of charts we will be throwing up on our website in the next couple of days. I thought you would be interested as you guys are included.

These are the average results of 5 forum give away/beta tests with 112 users tests reported. Some of the more exaggerated improvements over the average might be attributed to a poor initial mount although at least anecdotally as I have not pulled the numbers yet as I want a little larger sample seem to be caused by the pump or bake out of the previously installed compound.

On the other side of the average line the small , zero or negative results at least as far as I can suggest might be attributed to more competitive compounds, misfired mounts, misread temps or variations in hardware, software Etc.

As most of you guys are pretty rigorous about your testing I am taking the Ockham's razor approach, lex parsimoniae. 9 out of ten times when I have a problem with temps it is usually a contact/pressure problem. I'll rework the sink mount and get a 5 degree drop, But on a more subtle basis if I fine tune it I can get a few more degrees out of it under perfect conditions.

The more subtle aspects to getting that last mile in ideal temps is awkward at best and subject to nebulous debates but this is the applied effort you people have been driving for and I am much appreciating it.

The contact/pressure testing will give us some good data whether my guess proves right or wrong the info will I think be useful to users across the board whatever compound they use.View attachment 64311

Attachments

• 127Sample.jpg
    127Sample.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
As they come in I will be posting the contact/ pressure data

Tuksonrider - 3.3 C improvement contact pressure result OCF

Attachments

• 7Brawimage.JPG
    7Brawimage.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 452
  • 7b linescan.JPG
    7b linescan.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 7b2D.JPG
    7b2D.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 455
  • 7b3D.JPG
    7b3D.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 451
so the raised areas are where themost gaps are in the mount? or where the most contact is made?

so the raised areas are where themost gaps are in the mount? or where the most contact is made?

It's where the most contact is made. The higher the area,. the more pressure is applied.

pressure.jpg

Thanks JoeC for posting. I got your email, but I just sold my video card and my new one (8800GTS 512) is in the mail. :)

My GF wouldn't let me get on hers after she saw that I took mine apart and in pieces (rebuilding, new fan placements and cable management).

at Work, I just don't have the time right now other than quickie posts.

Bail_W 3.55C improvement

Q6600 G0 @ 3.9ghz with 1.6v
D-Tek Fuzion with backplate
Asus P5k Deluxe
Ambient temp 20C.

Attachments

• 1ARaw Imagelarge.JPG
    1ARaw Imagelarge.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 1Alinescan75%.JPG
    1Alinescan75%.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 438
  • 2d3dlg.JPG
    2d3dlg.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
I'm actually considering grinding down the aluminum support plates a little, and lapping my IHS.

The real concern I have is the malibility of the copper heatpipes. If I grind away too much of the aluminum support, the copper pipes will get squeshed under 85psi.

Perhaps shave away less than a millimeter just to get a solid contact between the IHS and heatpipes of an HDT cooler.

SiGfever 2.65 loss in performance XSF

edit Dtek FuZion WB (MX-2 TIM, large BB size dolop) (mounted 3/18/8, 15.5mm from top of knurled nut to top of the mounting plate) w/Backplate.
D5 Vario @5
MCR320QP w/ 3 80cfm fans in pull configuration
T-Line
7/16"id x 5/8"od MasterKleer

Specs:
Q6600 G0 vid = 1.2375
Abit IP35 Pro v1.1 bios = 14
Corsair 2 x 1Gb 6400c4 (5,5,5,15...1.9v)

Settings:
vcore listed: 1.4275v
vcore real: 1.35v
Buss Speed: 396
vMCH: 1.29
vICH: 1.09
Multi: 9
Core Speed: 3564
CPU VTT: 1.23
ICHIO: 1.55
CpuGtlref 0/2: 68%
CpuGtlref 1/3: 68%
PCI-E Clock: 101

Attachments

• 2brawimagelg.JPG
    2brawimagelg.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 2blinescan75%.JPG
    2blinescan75%.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 420
  • 2d3dlg.JPG
    2d3dlg.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
This stuff is so cool...

Can't wait for my results. Shame I have to lap my E7200 so soon though ;)

I couldn't get mine to spread right even after heating it up. the consistency just seems too pasty and difficult to be worth it imo.

I couldn't get mine to spread right even after heating it up. the consistency just seems too pasty and difficult to be worth it imo.

Pea size on center. Mount sink-let the sink do the spreading. Applied as to our spec we have not been having problems or complaints.

As noted the consistency is for high reliability over long periods of time. This is not like the cream type retail compounds.ICD7 this was engineered like an OEM paste for durability as well as performance. That's next on the agenda some great data & stuff on reliability :bday: Grab some popcorn and sit tight for a couple of weeks..

you cannot spread this stuff like you do as5/c,mx2.it is waaay to thick for that.the peasized method works much better than you may think.i was skeptical at first(putting it mildly)but after a couple of tries i was very much impressed with the spread.the performance was also very impressive :thup:

I also found the best way to apply is either a large dollup (to ensure full spread over the IHS) or for my Q6600 the second photo below which is another paste and a bit sloppy, but this method from Swiftech gets the paste over all four cores..

This is a "long-term paste," for sure. That it is to say it will not give immediate results (instant gratification) similar to Tuniq TX-2, however; it will eventually satisfy out-performing and outlasting many other pastes IMHO.

Attachments

• X48_randon_pics 049a.jpg
    X48_randon_pics 049a.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 503
  • Tim_Pics_Mozart 041.jpg
    Tim_Pics_Mozart 041.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 502
Sample 26A Yellowhello HLF 2C Improvement

Note: to edit/Add specs later

Attachments

• 26ARAWIMAGElg.JPG
    26ARAWIMAGElg.JPG