• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oblivion on Intel 945GM Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intel graphics and games don't mix it is that simple. Even if it does run it would be such a slideshow you would want to bang your head on the keyboard lol

Not at all it NEEDS TnL, go out and pick up a $20-40 Pci card that has TnL and it will do you fine :)

Well it MAY be playable on Dell's gaming laptops but yea not with integrated graphics.

Yeah, but I'm going to use Oldblivion. (read that carefully) It has been reported to run on older hardware, including the Intel GMs. It just so happens that this game checks on the hardware level, even though my CPU should be able to pick up the slack in the T&L department. I'm just looking for a way to bypass. I'll judge for myself if it's too choppy to play, and then I'll just install Morrowind. But since I haven't beaten Oblivion yet, I'd rather play that.

If that doesn't work I'll shove a PCI video card in this bad boy. ;)

Get the latest drivers. Intel added T&L support I believe in a driver update.

Intel's integrated graphics are not actually that bad hardware wise. They are on par with mid-low cards, but their #1 issue has always been graphic drivers. They can't seem to write them. Like I'm sure some of you knew that the integrated graphics on the 965 chipset was the first DX10 and SM4.0 on the market..but they couldn't write drivers for it, it was earlier this year that they released the first SM3.0 driver..

Yeah, but I'm going to use Oldblivion. (read that carefully) It has been reported to run on older hardware, including the Intel GMs. It just so happens that this game checks on the hardware level, even though my CPU should be able to pick up the slack in the T&L department. I'm just looking for a way to bypass. I'll judge for myself if it's too choppy to play, and then I'll just install Morrowind. But since I haven't beaten Oblivion yet, I'd rather play that.

If that doesn't work I'll shove a PCI video card in this bad boy. ;)

By "Oldblivion" you mean Daggerfall? that should run fine on in intel GMs.
j/k

Personally, I can't imagine how Oblivion would be anything more then a slideshow on lowest possible detail / resolution without a real 3D graphics card. (I wouldn't even dare try running it on my laptop with a Geforce7600go). I'd be skeptical about the Morrowind even running decently (might be playable definatly not 'fast' on 'high-detail' tho)
Is 'Oldblivion' some sort of mod that allows you to play the game without hardware acceleration (same game but with significantly lower graphic detail?) Maybe that would work.

Even the most powerful CPU will have trouble running a game like Oblivion without devent hardware acceleration (if the post about their 'integrated graphics' being almost on par with mid/low end cards is true then maybe you'll be ok... But I'd be skeptical. Games are all about GPU, core cpu speed is really secondary in terms of 3D-performance. Maybe you could get a Geforce 8400Go or something (not sure about the compatability with the PCI slot etc) - but if you can get a new videocard like that - it would at least make Oblivion playable and would definatly support hardware T & L.

edit: If the latest drivers support hardware T&L maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, definatly try that before buying a new card.
(and of course 'playable' is mostly subjective - I really tend to want to best of both speed and seeing games in max detail, but nothing 'wrong' with about just wanting to play the game regardless if you have the ideal hardware)

Last edited:
T&L is hardware side , i dont think it can be simply be added by drivers, but it has been around since the nvidia 4*** series so i woudl think any recent intel would have it.

Specifications
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Core
256-bit graphics core running at 400MHz
Up to 10.6 GB/sec memory bandwidth with DDR2 667 system memory
1.6 GPixels/sec and 1.6 GTexels/sec fill rate
Up to 224 MB maximum video memory
2048x1536 at 75 Hz maximum resolution
Dynamic Display Modes for flat-panel, wide-screen and Digital TV support
Operating systems supported: Microsoft Windows* XP, Windows* XP 64bit, Media Center Edition 2004/2005, Windows 2000; Linux-compatible (Xfree86 source available)
High Performance 3D
Up to 4 pixels per clock rendering
Microsoft* DirectX* 9 Hardware Acceleration Features:
Pixel Shader 2.0
Volumetric Textures
Shadow Maps
Slope Scale Depth Bias
Two-Sided Stencil
Microsoft* DirectX* 9 Vertex Shader 3.0 and Transform and Lighting supported in software through highly optimized Processor Specific Geometry Pipeline (PSGP)
Texture Decompression for DirectX* and OpenGL*
OpenGL* 1.4 support plus ARB_vertex_buffer and EXT_shadow_funcs extensions and TexEnv shader caching

Back