• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer will only cold boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

Hello, I have this really strange problem ever since I last rebuilt my computer (I got a refurbished p5b deluxe). My computer will run perfectly fine if I start it up from a totally cold boot, but if I try to restart it (either in windows or pressing the restart button) it will not boot up at all. There are no beeps, monitor does not come on. Usually I have to turn it off and wait for 10 seconds and turn it back on a couple of times before it will start over again. This is really annoying and really strange... anyone have any ideas or seen this before? Perhaps something is shorting somewhere.

Another interesting thing that might be related is that ever since I got the new motherboard, when I press the reset button the whole computer will turn off for about 5 seconds then start back up again. I don't think I saw that before on my old p5b deluxe :confused:

I'm totally stumped on this one. I have a 600w OCZ powerstream running a single 8800GTS, C2D E6420, 3 hard drives, 1 dvd-drive, and a water pump. Could it be the powerstream isn't powerful enough? it ran fine with my old motherboard though, I tend to think either my refurbished motherboard is faulty or something is shorting out.

Maybe you have the reset switch hooked up backwards on the motherboard? That is the only thing I can think of. I would try that and see if it works.

Maybe you have the reset switch hooked up backwards on the motherboard? That is the only thing I can think of. I would try that and see if it works.
That doesn't matter, it is an open circuit while not being pressed. The circuit is completed when pressed, polarity does not matter.

Try removing everything and making sure you re-seat everything properly. If it looks good, try flashing the BIOS.

If that still doesn't fix it, RMA it.

The reset button works, it's just whenever my computer is "rebooting" it doesn't boot. I'll try flashing the bios. Everything works perfectly though after it boots up, and it boots up everytime after about an hour (possibly earlier, it's hard to tell). I've been using it for about 3 months without a problem, it's just the reset problem is really annoying when I'm installing anything and windows wants me to restart my computer.

Hello, I have this really strange problem ever since I last rebuilt my computer (I got a refurbished p5b deluxe). My computer will run perfectly fine if I start it up from a totally cold boot, but if I try to restart it (either in windows or pressing the restart button) it will not boot up at all. There are no beeps, monitor does not come on. Usually I have to turn it off and wait for 10 seconds and turn it back on a couple of times before it will start over again. This is really annoying and really strange... anyone have any ideas or seen this before? Perhaps something is shorting somewhere.

Another interesting thing that might be related is that ever since I got the new motherboard, when I press the reset button the whole computer will turn off for about 5 seconds then start back up again. I don't think I saw that before on my old p5b deluxe :confused:

I'm totally stumped on this one. I have a 600w OCZ powerstream running a single 8800GTS, C2D E6420, 3 hard drives, 1 dvd-drive, and a water pump. Could it be the powerstream isn't powerful enough? it ran fine with my old motherboard though, I tend to think either my refurbished motherboard is faulty or something is shorting out.

Seems to be an Asus problem, because my A7V8X-X, which I don't have anymore has this problem, when OC'ing.

BTW, the above mentioned motherboard did that even when the OC was stable!

It just suddenly started doing that, but not until I experimented with another T-bred 2400+ stepping, after I changed it from a KIXJB 0415 to an AIUHB 0315.

it's not oc'ed too high, only 400 FSB. I'll try putting it to stock and see if it still happens

I've ran into this issue before and it came down to FSB/Memory speeds or just the Memory speed alone. Play around with the FSB/Ram divider or just the Ram speed and set it to a "safe" setting, basically below the rated speeds and see if you still have the problem.

For example, I had this on a system with DDR2-800 and when I set the Ram to 800Mhz in bios, I ran into this issue. I didn't figure out till later that the Ram needed more voltage at the rated speed so I just lowered the Ram to 667Mhz and my problem went away.

Back