• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on some watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pittness

Ok, this is my first time water cooling and ive done alot of reading i was looking for some recommendations, im looking to spend about 300$ for my entire watercooling setup, here is my system specs and what im thinking of buying so far. oh and my main consern is cooling my 8800gtx because its overheated on me once waiting for my new 1.

System Spec:

Case: Themltake Mozart TX (got plenty of room)
CPU : e6600
GTX : BFG 8800gtx oc2 ( air cooled atm)
Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
Mem : 4gig Corsair xms2
HD : WD Raptor 74gig with WD 500gig external
PSU : Toughpower 750w
Arctic Silver Compound and Adhesive

Im looking to cool both CPU and GFX

So far this is what im lookin at

CPU block - ?
GFX Waterblock - DD - 8800 GTX - hows the EK-FC8800GTX?
Pump - dB-1
Reservoir - not sure which to get?? i would like a nice looking 5" bay if possible
Radiator - Swiftech MCR-220 x 2 ??
Tubing - 1/2" Tygon

What else am im going to need as far as fittings and all that.. what other recommendations can you all give me? all i know at the moment is im going to need the res/pump/rad/tub/blocks/clamps/coolant/120mm fans for rad. thats it.

im lookin to build a nice system, but still if something is just as good and is cheaper from someone else id like to know

also a good place to buy all of this.

thanks for any help yall are willing to give

good websites are jab-tech.com and sidewindercomputers.com as well as petrastechshop.com

CPU Block - Apogee GT or DTek Fuzion, doesnt really matter which
GFX Block - Get a Maze4 or MCW60 with chipsinks
Pump - Swiftech MCP655

CPU block - ?
GFX Waterblock - DD - 8800 GTX - hows the EK-FC8800GTX?
Pump - dB-1
Reservoir - not sure which to get?? i would like a nice looking 5" bay if possible
Radiator - Swiftech MCR-220 x 2 ??
Tubing - 1/2" Tygon
CPU Block: either detk fuzion or swiftech apogee gt.
Gfx waterblock: Swiftech MCW60 with ramsinks, well it works with many current different gfx cards. Ek block is nice but it is one shot block, once you change gfx it is not gonna work.
Rad: Swiftech mcr320 or mcr220, yate loons fans
Res: Swiftech Micro or T line
PUmp: MCP655 or MCP355 with custom top.
Tubing: I like mastercleer 7/16id, kinda hard to put on and off 1/2id barbs.

as far as res's go ive got plenty of space so no need for t-line or anything, i was looking for possibly one that goes in 5" bay ive got quite a few extra slots. only one i could find that i like is XSPC 5.25" bay res. around 50$ little much but looks nice saves of clutter

I do not recommend bay reservoirs. They really don't work that well, and there just have been too many incidents of leaks with them due to their design and construction. I haven't had any experience with the XSPC res in particular, but did try a bayres when I first started watercoling. I would recommend the Swiftech Microres, or EKs reservoirs (EKwaterblocks.com). They are quality made and have a proven track record.

I have used a bay res without problems... you just have to watch and pay close attention to the build quality...

Tygon tubes are more expensive because they are better and easier to work with...

I have used a bay res without problems... you just have to watch and pay close attention to the build quality...

Tygon tubes are more expensive because they are better and easier to work with...

I completely disagree. Tygon 3603 has a durometer of 55, while clear flex 60 has a durometer of 60. The Tygon is softer, howevr the Clear flex 60 is just as easy to work with (Masterkleer for example has a duromteer of 67, vinyl tubing a 70). "Better" is a subjective term, and there is no imperical data to suggets Tygon is better, other than being slightly softer.

It is subjective, but i have worked with both Tygon and Clearflex and found Tygon slightly preferable.

I would go for the 7/16 Tygon - its 1.25 cheaper than 1/2 Tygon, and only 50 cents more than clearflex

its not just how soft a tygon tube is

its how far you can bend it before it kinks

and how resistant it is to clouding

Personally I prefer Masterklear and Primoflex, which is thick walled silicone tubing. The primoflex looks good and outperforms pretty much every other tubing I've ever used.

There are pros and cons to all tubing.

Tygon is soft bends very well, but it does cloud, and it is expensive.
CF60 is soft bends well, clouds eventually, but relatively cheap
Masterkleer is pretty stiff, but very clear, and cheap
Primo flex is crazy soft, extremely easy to work with, cheap, but the compoud is pourous, and cooalnt vapor will seep out.

Which one is better, is completely subjective. Whats better for Person A, may not be for Person B.

Back