• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone try using a portable ice maker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pathfinder

I been an a lurker here on and off over the years and I haven't seen any post on using these systems. Anyone rip one open and see what they consist of?. Some boast 7 minutes freezing time so I thought one might be useful as a chiller.

Maybe if it has a large condenser and a 1/3 HP compressor or higher... otherwise I think it would die.

Just like refrigerators and full sized freezers, I'd imagine that the compressor isn't designed for extended duty which would be required for a possible chiller compressor. Freezers aren't designed to cool things creating heat, so that would be an issue as well (would lead to constant duty, overheating, and then death if the compressor is designed for short runs only).

good point. just grab the 250w pelt for $30 and slap it on the chip or cool the whole system.

the point is, you can run it 24 hours a day if its a peltier. but again i would use a peltier waterblock first. then maybe put the system in a fridge to cool other parts like hard drive and mosfet.

and you can make it sealed so no moisture inside or to be sure you can replace air with CO2

We had this very old portable ice maker bought by my uncle from Australia. Since, it not "so portable" we couldn't bring it outdoor party. We have now NewAir AI-210E PerfectCube Portable Ice Maker. It is ranked as the first because of its one best feature that shows it's a compact unit that plugs into a standard power outlet and can connect to a water line.

Last edited:
Back