• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe P35 northbridge voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Notlag

I'm pretty familiar w/ CPU cooling, but not very familiar w/ northbridge cooling. Right now I have the stock cooler on it for my mainboard (it's a heatpipe based cooler with a fair amount of fin area but not connected to the other mainboard heatsinks), but I've added a 40mm fan for additional airflow (admittedly, a 40mm won't add much).

Without replacing the stock northbridge heatsink, how far can I reasonably push the P35 northbridge voltage w/o affecting component life? Or will upping it require additional cooling (in which case I'm comfortable checking out available options and selecting something best-of-class for air)?

EDIT: While my board is stable w/ my Q6600 at 3.6GHz w/ 1.4125v for the CPU, I had to drop my memory speeds from 1000MHz to 800MHz when I added some additional memory (all four DIMM slots filled now). I'm hoping that by bumping up my northbridge voltage I'll gain a bit more stability w/ the new memory (I already have my memory voltage at 2.2v and that was perfectly stable w/ the original pair of DIMM's at 1000MHz, but not with the addition of the new DIMM's which are otherwise identical).

EDIT2: Turns out the second pair of DIMM's is not stable at anything over 800MHz even by itself in the same slots as the original two (ie - replaced the original two w/ the new ones). It's an identical part, but doesn't clock as well. Lame for memory that I paid a premium for. Curious to see what OCZ will have to say about it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much is too high for the NB but I would try to keep it below 50, anything over than that = instant reboot or BSOD. :)

Back