• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Frag's Box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fragged3d

I started getting back into the custom scene in October when I started heavily building computers at work, the bug got me! I am starting this build from ground zero including my desk. I have been taking pictures along the way and I am still changing and moving into more in depth mods in my project. I hope to get compliments and some help along the way.

First, here is a picture of the old P4 setup I have had for the past couple years:

IMG_1401.JPG

The basis for my new rig started out as a good foundation to do my Web Design and 3D Animation but quickly turned into wanting more POWER! My original plan was below:

Intel Q6600
Antec P182 Case
EVGA 680i mobo
4gb Gskill Ram
Corsair 650hx ps
Dual 8800GTS 640's
Tri- 22" Monitors

I will start with pictures of where I started and move on from there.

The Desk: It measures 6'W x 2'D, I needed enough room for my new monitors.

Frame:
1.png

Top on:
2.png

Case: Antec P182
3.png

First Shipment: You will notice here that I have a Dtek block. I was interested in watercooling and started buying my pieces.
4.png

Motherboard: EVGA 680i A1 New Version.
5.png

Case: Antec P182 mid tower.
6.png

Case: Someone gave me a really good tip and told me if I planned on watercooling to drill my mobo tray where the blocks mount.
7.png

Here is a picture of things mid way through installing everything.
8.png

Hard drive picture.
9.png

Last edited:
Here is a picture with everything nearly finished.
10.png

Monitors: This is a picture of my Dell monitor shipment, yep 3 brand new 22's.
12.png

Finished case: This is everything installed and ready to go. If you notice in the picture I am using ddr2 533 from my old p4 to get things running until the Gskill comes.
11.png

Here is a picture of the monitors on the desk and the system running!
13.png

At this point is where I found that the 2 8800 GTS 640mb cards weren't going to cut it. I also found out the Q6700 didn't have a locked multiplier and that I would get a lot better performance from 2 150gb Raptors! I also decided to upgrade to the Corsair 750 and get a black chassis for my tower. I also bought an Ultra Microfly case to house all of my watercooling components. I ordered the stuff and it came in all nice, pic.
14.png

While in the middle of all these new parts EVGA came out with the 780i board and I just had to have it!
15.png

16.png

Near the end of it the EVGA 8800 GTS 512's came out and I bought 3, 2 are pictured.
17.png

Black Chassis
18.png

Black Chassis with wc holes drilled
19.png

Last edited:
Black Chassis with 780i, 8gb of ram and Q6700 installed.
20.png

First Video card installed.
21.png

Corsair 750 installed.
22.png

Microfly case
23.png

Microfly case
24.png

Microfly case after I fabricated a top mounting plate and welded it into place.
25.png

Hand drilled tiny holes, I'm debating drilling four big holes and putting screen behind them.
26.png

Radiators installed with fans, Harley tour pak spacers for clearance and airflow:)
27.png

Everything except power supply installed in the microfly, this is where I am currently.
28.png

Last edited:
Everything except power supply installed in the microfly, this is where I am currently.
29.png

30.png

I finally got one of the cards ready for cooling!
31.jpg

Last edited:
Desk progress:

desk3.jpg

I have more of the desk done in this pic and I have also added a 4th monitor just for my 360! (Yes, that is 125 Xbox 360 games!)
32.jpg

Here is a better shot of the 4 screens!
33.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to be a sweet rig when you get it finished. Are you going to stain/seal that wood? It may already be done and I just can't tell from the pictures.

remember to cut out some holes for wiring. you're definitely going to want some kind of surface on there too. plywood = splinters. otherwise, looks like a good start.

that looks like it is gonna be a nice rig setup but a couple of questions....

are you going to get rid of that wall paper?

what is the final design going to be like?

I plan to put glass over it with a black back on it and use oak to do the front trim. I do plan to paint the whole room a light to medium gray and have my friend that does airbrush come and paint some things for me. Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

Ryan

My monitors (2 23" Apple Cinemas) aren't nearly as big as 3x 22s, but I built a raised platform for them, to put them at eye level. It was a pain because my desk is mainly glass. But, if you're fabricating a desk that might be an idea, plus if you do that, it leaves some storage room open underneath the monitors, which is also very nice.

My monitors (2 23" Apple Cinemas) aren't nearly as big as 3x 22s, but I built a raised platform for them, to put them at eye level. It was a pain because my desk is mainly glass. But, if you're fabricating a desk that might be an idea, plus if you do that, it leaves some storage room open underneath the monitors, which is also very nice.

What do you mean? My desk is a full glass top and I don't have a problem.

fragged3d - Nice one mate. How strong is that wall rack just above your monitors?

The shelf above wasn't very sturdy but it was there from when I removed the closet to do the desk, I have since removed it. I have another shelf frame built to replace it for all my computer books and I plan to build a second to go above it for my games and software. I am also updating things now!

Thanks,
Ryan

When I read the thread title I was expecting this. With the microfly thrown in there is still some SFF action going on. That is a sweet looking set-up. You are certainly getting you step-up moneys worth.

From the corner to a closet...

Guess that is a step up ;) At the least it gives some leg room. Seriously fun setup. I am curious to see the outcome.

I don't see the desk progess :(

Oh man that WC station is superb! Looks neat. Are those two cylindrical tubes the res?

Back