• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatibility between G92 8800GTS & Asus P5K E WiFi??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woz101

Don't mean to bother you guys.

I currently have this thread running here, but because I have run into some issues with this new GTS on the Asus P5K E WiFi(BIOS 503), I thought I had to start a new thread, asking for info.

Anyways, since I installed this new card(G92 8800GTS) into my mobo(Asus P5K E WiFi), some strange things have been happening:

1. Every time I cold start the machine, the video card's fan spins at about 100%, making a lot of noise. The loud fan noise lasts for about 3 to 4 seconds before it dies down. Is this normal? My old G80 EVGA 640MB 8800 GTS does NOT do this.

2. I was given a memory dump error, after I rebooted from OCing the card to 770 core/1923 shader/1056 memory. The OC profile is stable in Crysis, the most demanding game. I only use that OC profile when I game. when I don't game, I just use the card's stock speed. The memory dump happened only ONCE!

3. Just a minute ago, I was looking at the fan speed in the Hardware Monitoring section in the BIOS, when the screen suddenly blanked out at me! So I had to reset the machine!

Now some background info to help you diagnose the situation for me:

1. I am using RivaTuner 2.06 to OC the vid card as well as maintain the different fan profiles. I followed a tutorial online to let RivaTuner work with Vista UAC. In general, RT has worked OK, but not 100% reliably. For instance, sometimes when the temp has hit a certain point, and the fan should be spinning at a certain percentage, but it doesn't! But most of the times, it does.

2. The BIOS for my Asus P5K E WiFi is 503.

3. I just moved my OS HD and a backup HD from SATA Port 1 and 2 to Sata Port 3 and 4, because the new GTS is about several mm's longer than the old one, and has blocked the first two sata ports. HD's are set as AHCI in the BIOS. So do you think this might have contributed to the aforementioned problems?

4. Video driver 169.25 for Vista 64 bit. I am running Vista 64 bit Ultimate. For complete specs, see my sig.

It's just because I have never experienced any of the above problems with my old 8800GTS that I am bit concerned if the new 8800GTS is compatible with the Asus P5K E WiFi(BIOS 503). I've heard some reports that the 8800GT has problems working on some boards, and I hope what I have described above is not symptomatic of the new GTS does not work well with the Asus P5K E WiFi.

I especially would like to hear owners out there who have the combo of the new GTS and the Asus P5K E WiFi. How's your experience? Have you had any of the problems that I have described above?

Many thanks in advance!

which intel chipset is that using? maybe check and see if there is a newer chipset driver @ intel or Asus's website.

when you moved from the g80 to the g92 did you run a good driver cleaner?

ive run into issues (random things) when going from SLi to single card then back to SLi again. i reinstalled rivatuner and that seemed to clear things up.

maybe give that a try also - unistall then reinstall rivatuner (and get rid of all the old profiles)

which intel chipset is that using? maybe check and see if there is a newer chipset driver @ intel or Asus's website.

when you moved from the g80 to the g92 did you run a good driver cleaner?

ive run into issues (random things) when going from SLi to single card then back to SLi again. i reinstalled rivatuner and that seemed to clear things up.

maybe give that a try also - unistall then reinstall rivatuner (and get rid of all the old profiles)

First of all, thanks for the reply.

1. I did boot into Safe Mode and cleaned the driver with Nasty File Remover for the G80 GTS, before I took the card out.

2. I did uninstall and reinstall RivaTuner. There is a slight problem here, however. Because I followed a tutorial online to make RT work with Vista UAC, I had to create a scheduled task for RT. Before I unstalled RT for a re-install, I could ***NOT*** delete the scheduled task for RT to run!:bang head I searched Help in Vista, and Help clearly tells me that a scheduled task can be deleted, but that option was NOT available to me, when I tried to delete it. Actually, I was thinking about making a post about this issue in a different section of this forum.

3. The chipset for Asus P5K E WiFi is P35. I have installed all the latest chipset drivers for this board. I dled all the drivers from Intel's site directly rather than relying on Asus's website.

4. I suspect some of the problems might be due to the fact that I moved my OS HD and a backup HD from SATA Port 1 and 2 to SATA port 3 and 4. The new card is too long and covered the first two SATA ports. All my HD's are set as AHCI in the BIOS. However, I am NOT sure if switching SATA ports is the SOLE cause to the problems that I have described above. For instance, I am ESPECIALLY concerned about the fact that when the machine colds boots, the video card's fan spins loud at about 100% speed for about 3 to 4 seconds before it dies down! That is before the machine has booted into Windows, so it absolutely has nothing to do with Rivatuner!

Don't know if those who own both the new GTS and the Asus P5K E WiFi have had similar or the same problem that I am describing here.

Thanks for the help!

if i remember right, my 6800gs's fan used to spin up for a second before it settled down. i'm not 100%, that was a long time ago -

man, good luck i guess. i took a shot in the dark.

I bought a xfx 8800gts g92, last week, and with my actual board (P5E - X38 chipset) when booting it spins the fan at maximum for 2 or 3 seconds, and then it settles almost noiseless.

Just once when playing Race07, the screen blanked out and I was able to return to desktop and reboot the machine, but without seeing anything.
After the reboot all return to normal.

I didnt overclock the card yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Well, after a night's sleep and some reflection, I think the fan spinning at high speed, if not 100%, when cold boots MIGHT be normal.

I say this, because my old G80 8800GTS ALSO does that, I think. (This is a revision of what I said in the first post.) But because its stock fan was smaller and less noisy, it had not caught my attention as much as the new G92 GTS. The fan for the latter is much noisier when running in high speed.

Also, I wonder if the problems of (1)a memory dump and (2) the screen blanked out at me have something to do with the fact that I moved the HD's from SATA Port 1 and 2 to SATA Port 3 and 4!

The reason why I suspect this is that I noticed that some of the key bindings for my Logitech G5 mouse do not function after the switch. It is after a reboot that the keybindgs came back to normal.

And, of course, after the switch of the SATA ports, the HD(OS HD, I guess) was crazily busy, after the first reboot! Building or rebuilding search index?

The HD's are set in the AHCI mode in the BIOS, by the way. I think this might be an important piece of information. I have three HD's--non-raided--and one SATA DVD burner.

So now, I think I am going to further observe the issues to see if they get worse or disappear.

While the new card has given me better performance in games, it has given me some annoyances. See the problems I have described in the first post. Not used to them. Also, the new card, because of its longer length than the original 8800GTS, has forced me to abandon the first two SATA ports. I am not very happy about that.

Thanks again for the info and help!

........Just once when playing Race07, the screen blanked out and I was able to return to desktop and reboot the machine, but without seeing anything.
After the reboot all return to normal.

I didnt overclock the card yet.

Just curious: have you figured out WHY the screen blanked out on you?

Thanks for the feedback.

fan spin-up is normal. My GTS-512 does it as well. I think switching around your sata ports is fine. I did the same thing, but ended up going back to ports 1 & 2 using right-angle sata cables. Your MoBo probably came w/ 2 of them. I'm also running AHCI. I have heard of issues w/ sata optical drives, but I'm not really sure as I run IDE optical drives.

If you crash in the BIOS then my 1st thought is your CPU, FSB, or RAM is not stable, but I'm not really sure.

If it has only crashed on you one time I wouldnt worry about it . Could be just about any thing . Heck there could have been a power flux in your house that caused it.

What PSU are you using ?

......I think switching around your sata ports is fine. I did the same thing, but ended up going back to ports 1 & 2 using right-angle sata cables. Your MoBo probably came w/ 2 of them. I'm also running AHCI. I have heard of issues w/ sata optical drives, but I'm not really sure as I run IDE optical drives.

Well, I was going to go with right-angled(90 degree) SATA cables. I went to my local Fry's to have especially bought two, but the darn cables are too stiff for my like, so I took them out and am going to return them. In the meantime, I also benchmarked with HDtune and HDtach to see if there is any difference in speed when the OS HD was connected to SATA Port 1 versus Port 3. Well, you know what? There is hardly worthy difference! If anything, the average read speed on SATA Port 3 is even SLIGHTLY higher than SATA Port 1!:)

I am surprised! So I am now back to SATA Port 3 and 4, using the flat square sata cables.

If you crash in the BIOS then my 1st thought is your CPU, FSB, or RAM is not stable, but I'm not really sure.

This had NEVER happened to me when I had the old G80 8800GTS!!!

So I have good reason to believe that the screen blanking out on me while I was in BIOS has to do with the new card and the fact that I had switched the SATA ports, while the HD's were set in AHCI.

Regardless, I will re-do the memtest to see if anything weird comes up.

Thanks for the info and help!

URGENT!!!

Well, folks, I encountered ANOTHER BSOD when I was re-running a system scan for the Vista score.

It created a .dmp file. I did a quick search online and installed "Debugging Tools for Windows 64 bit." But when I attempted to open the .dmp file with this debugging tool, it gave me an error message that the symbolic path is not correctly set or something like that!:bang head

I am merely a computer amateur. Never played with this debugging tool before, and am really frustrated now because of the BSOD. So I uploaded the .dmp file to my Skydrive public folder:
http://cid-f7e5449f82f49536.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Mini122007-01.dmp

I would really appreciate knowledgeable folks to open it and see what the .dmp file says!

The BSOD screen said something about the video memory manager has encoutnered an error or something like that, before it quickly closed! If it is indeed the case, I think I might have a FAULTY video card!!!

Too bad!:bang head

I anxiously await any knowledgeable person's help!

A million thanks in advance!

EDIT: when the BSOD occurred, the vid card was NOT OCed.

Last edited:
This is the error message "Debugging Tool for Windows 64 bit" gave me, when I attempted to use it to open the .dmp file:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.8.0004.0 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [F:\PC Downloads\Mini122007-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows Kernel Version 6001 (Service Pack 1.668) MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`01e0c000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`01fcfdb0
Debug session time: Thu Dec 20 22:25:09.200 2007 (GMT-8)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:07:40.939
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Loading Kernel Symbols
.....................................................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\watchdog.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for watchdog.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for watchdog.sys
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 10E, {2, 1, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dxgkrnl.sys
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
*** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
*** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
*** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
*** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
*** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: nt!_KPRCB ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: nt!KPRCB ***
*** work. ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: nt!KPRCB ***
*** work. ***
*** work. ***
*** work. ***
*** work. ***
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl+6611b )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

If I had to guess it would be vista doesnt like one of your drivers have you tryed xp on a diff hdd maybe to see if you have the prob there ?

Try to reset your MB bois to default settings and use only 1 memory. It could be your memory is dying. Or better yet run a memory test.

Try to reset your MB bois to default settings and use only 1 memory. It could be your memory is dying. Or better yet run a memory test.

Regarding setting the MB BIOS to default settings, it is worth a try.

Regarding memory being dead, perhaps no. I did a memtest(86+) even yesterday. Three passes, no error.

Thanks for the feedback.

If I had to guess it would be vista doesnt like one of your drivers have you tryed xp on a diff hdd maybe to see if you have the prob there ?

I will try uninstalling the driver--as well as RivaTuner.

Regading Vista as the culprit, I am not so sure. If the vid card had some problem with Vista, the BSOD's should occur WITHIN Windows. But as I reported in my original post, the screen once blanked out on me while I was in BIOS looking at the fan speed in the Hardware Monitoring section.

Thanks for the feedback, and I will try various troubleshooting methods. When the worst comes to the worst, will contact EVGA tech support.

Thanks again!

Update:

I have since uninstalled the driver(169.25 beta) and reinstalled the new WHQL driver(169.25). Used DriverCleaner to have cleaned out the old driver in Safe Mode, before I installed the new driver.

I have also since uninstalled and reinstalled RivaTuner.

Have also lowered my OC a little as well--761 core/1901 shader/1047 memory--for gaming, just to be on the safe side.

Played Crysis, UT3 for about half an hour each. No crashes, lockups, or artifacts.

Heck, there was no crashes or artifacts, when the OC profile was at 770/1923/1056, either!

It was after I played Crysis, rebooted that I was greeted with the BSOD's a few times at the 770 OC profile! I guess that that might have something to do with the first failed OC at 801/2001/1100. Crysis crashed a couple of times at that setting, and for some reason, the mistakes were retained in the system or something like that.

Let's hope that my BSOD is OC or driver related. At this point, it is too early to tell. I will keep an eye on this. One or two or maybe three months later, if the card or system does NOT give me any BSOD's, then I can say this is a good card rather than a faulty one.

Thanks to everyone who replied/helped!

Back