• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: Moving a RAID 0 to new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueBall

I recently upgraded to a SB600 (ASUS M3a-MVP-Deluxe 790FX) motherboard and I can't get my RAID0 array working. I was using a A8N-SLI Premium mobo which had a Sil3112 controller.

This mobo has the SB600 and Marvel 6121 .. The marvel won't even show the drives, the SB600 does .. but not in windows.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thx!

I'm also pretty sure you need to rebuild the array if you move to another mobo. Not to mention you should reinstall windows anyways just to refresh drivers. I would back up that array now just in case.

I think if you rebuild, you will loose it.

Just set it up on the new controller, do not format (duh!), and install the driver like normal.

Go into disk management, and import the disks or something similar..

You cannot move RAID arrays across different controllers. If you didn't break the array on the old board through the BIOS, the drives typically aren't recongnized on different controllers either, even as singles. I don't know the specifics but whatever designation, MBR data, or whatever is written during array creation, causes this. Experienced this myself. If you zero out the drive with a program like Dban, it should become recognizable after that. If you need the data on the array, you have to put the drives back on the old controller and original ports, then copy it to another drive to move back on the new array when created. If this was an array with your OS, you'd need to do a fresh install with the drivers of the new RAID chipset anyway, as if even if you recovered the old array, it'd BSOD for certain when trying to boot from it since the drivers for the new RAID chipset wouldn't be there.

only time i have seen raid arrays recognized on different crontrolers is going from like a ICH5R to ICH7R... or visa versa (standard raid not matrix)

but swaping raid controler companies aint gonna happen sry to say

I just went through this last night..... I knew I was going to have to rebuild the
array but I should have formatted the disk before I moved them to the new Mobo.
I set the array up in bios erased MBR when prompted but I kept having
trouble reinstalling windows, it seemed to recognize enough old xp files
to bsod on me several times.:bang head
I ended up plugging the drives back into another machine to wipe them first.

Well .. I just thought I'd let everybody know that I found a great little application to recover my entire broken RAID0 array. It is called File Scavenger 3.2 ... It recovered all the file names, dates, pics, movies, apps .. everything!! Error free!!
It recovered 380GB to a seperate drive in 2.5 hours!!!
Unfortunately I went and purchased a TB hard drive because I was expecting to recover the data in RAW format and assumed I needed a recovery drive as large (or larger) than the broken array. So now my PC has 2.25TB overall. Should be a while before I run out of space now!!!!

Back