• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTFS and win 98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I heading up to my sisters house for the weekend and I have some mp3s and other files on my HDD. I'm just gonna bring HDD because dont feel like lugging a huge computer on a train. Heres the thing, she has 98 and all my stuff is NTFS. I tried installing NT4 last night, but for some reason it wouldn't install, and yes I installed it on a blank partition, no NTFS. I have XP now and her system cannot handle it, something like 32megs ram. So is there a proggy to view NTFS in 98? I know there was one for NT4 and fat32, hoping that some one know a simple program for this? I'm gonna feel like an idiot if someone says that 98 can read NTFS, but im pretty sure it cant. Never tried it so can't say.

I don't think there is any way to veiw an NTFS file system on Fat 32. Sorry I think your out of luck. Unless you create a fat 32 partition on that drive and copy all of your MP3's to that partition. then your sisters pc will be able to see the MP3's. Just not the partitioin that's NTFS.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

You defintely won't be able to view the NTFS on a FAT32 on Windows the only way I got it to view is using the network and right now everything is on the network is NTFS except for a Windows 98 machine.

i suppose this does work the other way however? as in NTFS being able to view fat32? i yanked a hard drive out of my ME machine to copy mp3s, etc., and my system viewed the hard drive w/o a hitch.

Win 2K and XP can see fat32.

There are a few programs that allow ntfs volumes to be accessed through dos, etc, but I don't know how/if they work in 9x.

Back