• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6750 @3.66 Orthos Stable, 3DM, Games suck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

I recently OC'd my proc to 3.66ghz and it passes a 24hr Orthos blend test. However, my 3dmark graphic scores dropped and games run crappy. I tried running the PCIe freq. at 101mhz but that didn't fix it. Any ideas?

Edit: Ahah! CPUz says my x16 PCIe bus is running at x1! How the hell do I change it?

Last edited:
I actually didn't see a setting in the bios. I read that upping th PLL and NB voltages will help it back to x16. That worked (the pll and nb voltages are now maxed) but my 3DM score is still crap.
I'm getting 10,800 overall. The cpu score has gone way up over stock, but the sm2 and sm3 scores have actually dropped!

I tried setting the PCIe frequency to 101mhz, that gave a slight boost to 3DM06; 10,864. The sm2 and sm3 scores are 4569 and 4639, respectively. At stock cpu they are 4907 and 4820. The card is definitely plugged in, not overheating.

Last edited:
I tried setting the PCIe frequency to 101mhz, that gave a slight boost to 3DM06; 10,864. The sm2 and sm3 scores are 4569 and 4639, respectively. At stock cpu they are 4907 and 7820. The card is definitely plugged in, not overheating.

could it be the 12volt rail?

i had a 7900 gt before and forgot to plug the 12v rail in and it still worked

check both rails

My rails are fine. I disappeared for awhile to clean the ice out of my gutters, and now my games run fine.. my 3DM score still sucks piles, tho. :(

I do have two PCIe slots, and yes its in the x16 slot.
At stock again, theres no problem.

I raised the NB and PLL voltages on notch (max, now) and that brought the link back to x16. I played crysis for an hour, exited and got coffee, came back and relaunched; super slow, link now at x2.

I dumbed the NB and PLL back one notch; went back to x1. I upped them, again and that brought it to x2.

Is there no way to force set the link width?

EDIT: wait, ignore me. just reread the first post. now it all makes sence.

try a different fsb. it seems to be a bug sometimes where a fsb/multi combo will force pci-e to 1x

I have a question about 3DMark06 too.

I got 10841 at everything stock.

I got 11699 when I oc'd just my E6750 to 3.6ghz (havent oc'd gpu or upped ram timings yet).

A couple days later I ran 3DMARK06 and got 10877.

Does 3DMARK06 flucuate by ~800ish from test to test or should that not be happening?

After setting everything to stock, then back to 3.66 the link said x16.. Anyone think this may have been fixed with the 0603 bios (I'm running 0404)? I'll try a different FSB if this keeps up. Thanks everyone.

GPU Temps:
idle: 55c
last level crysis: 74c

3DMark should not fluctuate 800pts.

Last edited:
Updated to 0603, no change in link width behavior. I tried playing around with some different fsb frequencies.. no change. Its weird, at 1.55v NB and 1.7v PLL, it'll boot to x1 PCIe freq, but if I bump each of those, it sets the link width to x2...

I have a question about 3DMark06 too.

I got 10841 at everything stock.

I got 11699 when I oc'd just my E6750 to 3.6ghz (havent oc'd gpu or upped ram timings yet).

A couple days later I ran 3DMARK06 and got 10877.

Does 3DMARK06 flucuate by ~800ish from test to test or should that not be happening?

1. Start your own thread,

2. Did your BIOS reset to stock because the OC wasn't stable?

Grr... It seems like no frequency between 450 to 470 will yield a stable PCIe bus width. Half the time the pc will boot w/ a x16, but switch during a game or 3DM. If I leave the computer off for awhile it'll boot with a x16 just fine. My old OC of 3.56ghz (444mhz fsb) had no issues..

Last edited:
Next morning... Does anyone think it could be my ram? I haven't tightened the timings yet, they're 5, 5, 5, 15 running at 2.2v. I had the corsair fan-a-majigger mounted on them, but had to send it back for repair (one of the fan bearings made a hellavu racket).

i dont know muc ha botu much.. but i read u where going at 74 degrees.. thats really bad...

its probably to hot in ur case.. when it goes to hot it gets messed up.. i read somewhere taht over 60 is not good temps....

so if computer is not on for a long time and its a coool day then it should be fine

but if its been on for a while and its a hot day it mite mess up,,

once again i dont know much about much just guessing

i dont know muc ha botu much.. but i read u where going at 74 degrees.. thats really bad...

its probably to hot in ur case.. when it goes to hot it gets messed up.. i read somewhere taht over 60 is not good temps....

so if computer is not on for a long time and its a coool day then it should be fine

but if its been on for a while and its a hot day it mite mess up,,

once again i dont know much about much just guessing

He said that was his GPU temps. If you read that for GPU temps, whatever you read is nonsense. 74C is perfectly fine.

I was having the link with issue some time ago and messed with my FSB a bit and it fixed it up. Seemed it was just a bug. Recently I went to put another 2x1GB sticks in for a total of 4GB and couldn't get it above x2 link width for a while. Turned out after I finally achieved x16, the 2 new sticks were bad. So I suppose it could be some faulty RAM someway, somehow. Even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Run memtest for a few hours.

He said that was his GPU temps. If you read that for GPU temps, whatever you read is nonsense. 74C is perfectly fine.

I was having the link with issue some time ago and messed with my FSB a bit and it fixed it up. Seemed it was just a bug. Recently I went to put another 2x1GB sticks in for a total of 4GB and couldn't get it above x2 link width for a while. Turned out after I finally achieved x16, the 2 new sticks were bad. So I suppose it could be some faulty RAM someway, somehow. Even though it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Run memtest for a few hours.

alright my bad...like i said i dont know much about much... just a guess

Back