• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I us an old PSU for case fans ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohgr

Registered
Can I use my old AT 200 PSU for powering additional fans in my system if I fit it to my case ?

Yeah sure, I use a 230watt AT PS to power 3 case fans a 2 cpu fans...works great. You can even wire it up like I have with toggle switches to turn certain fans on or off( like the noisy ones)

i am planning on doing the same thing with my new case as soon as i get it . im putting voltage control knobbs on each fan wired to the front of the case in a spare bay . seems like a good solution to bogging down your PS. Do you think it is a good way to get away with a smaller PS like a 300w for the cp and a 250w for fans?

hunter1895 said:
i am planning on doing the same thing with my new case as soon as i get it . im putting voltage control knobbs on each fan wired to the front of the case in a spare bay . seems like a good solution to bogging down your PS. Do you think it is a good way to get away with a smaller PS like a 300w for the cp and a 250w for fans?

Sure, I've been running a ATX and AT PSU for a while (two ATX PSU's now) w/o probs, you might as well hook up your HD, CD-Rom and such to the AT PSU.

wire the switches together so that they both turn on at the same time or you might foget to turn the at one on and the pc overheats bad thing

Just use a relay to connect the two psus together. So when you press the power button on ur pc, the two psus get turned on at the same time.

Back