• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MacBook Pro Vs. Alienware.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

Looking for a laptop, MacBook Pro is nice for $2100, which is better? The MBP or an equivalently priced alienware area-51 m9750.

If you are looking for a nice balanced portable right now, look no further then Dells new XPS 1530. Right now a full loaded unit is 1399$ plus a 100-200$ gift card as well. Specs are as follows:

T7500
3GB ram
250GB 5400RPM Drive or 160GB 7200RPM
8600GT
WXGA,WXGA+, and WSXGA+ screen options
Slot loading DVD Burner
6 cell battery
Bluetooth
Intel Draft N wireless

the 1530 is a solid design, and is pretty thin, and somewhat light. A much much better deal then the MBP.

Don't know if you are going to play any games but even w/ windows on the mac games may or may not run, and if they do performance/visuals always take a hit. I would go for the the XPS, Alienware or something else. Your price per performance on the MBP is not that great IMHO.

not rteall for gaming, more for mobile video / phot editing :) some light gaming.

Dell build quality is pretty poor. Even xps.

Never used an alienware but i hear they are pretty plasticy as well.

I say go for a MBP or even check out a high end lenovo T60

ill see how my gf's is :) the dell.... then if dell well go for that, if not will take a look at a mbp in store or wait for the new alienware to come out in w1 :)

Dell build quality is pretty poor. Even xps.

Never used an alienware but i hear they are pretty plasticy as well.

I say go for a MBP or even check out a high end lenovo T60

A t60 or t61 would be crap for gaming. A T61P, however, with the high-end quadro chip, would be perfect for photo/video editing.

And the newer dells really aren't half bad. The Alienwares are really nice - powerful, high quality, etc., but you'll pay for it.

What software do you use for video editing? I used to use Premiere and After Effects on PC years ago. But now I'm on a Mac at work and I have to say that Final Cut Studio is actually pretty sweet! Probably one of the only reasons I would ever fork out the bucks for a Mac would be for that suite of tools. The integration of video/motion gfx/audio/dvd authoring is A-1 and unbeatable as far as pro-sumer tools go.

Go for the Mac Book Pro. It'll most likely have better battery life, is lighter, thiner, prettier ;) etc. Alienwares tend to be built to kick butt and take names... while tethered to the wall. If you're not in need of an SLI setup (really dumb in a laptop...) I'd go for the MacBook Pro.

Macs are seriously overpriced for the hardware you get. People say "but o their support is so good, and its no extra cost". Well thats why Mac seriously inflates the prices of their items, to cover their support costs. Also sadly with the current generation of high-schoolers and college aged kids, Macbook have sadly turned into "prepbooks". I've taken apart several Macbook Pros at work, and hardware wise they're extremely similar to PCs. The new Dell Vostro 15" is really nice for the price, or even the XPS 1530 as mentioned above. The new T6x family of Lenovos are having a lot of problems from what I've been reading.

yeah for simliar hardware the price is a good 20%less for a dell. atleast.

Dells 1530 is solid, good performance, better battery life. The only thing the MBP has over the XPS 1530 is Mac OS if thats important, and its about .6-.8 lbs lighter.

Some people don't mind paying extra to seem cool ;) I say Money can't buy you "cool" (Isn't that a Beatles song? :) )

One of my friends at work bought a MBP last month, and she had to return it a week later due to hardware problems. Good thing she "Prepaid" 30% for that awesome Apple service :p

:cool:

I love my Macbook Pro to death, it's never failed me, and it's one of the older ones too.
Windows XP dual-boot is actually faster than most XP laptops by the way, if you want to get into that argument.
OSX is a beautiful OS, my next PC is gonna run a hacked version of Leopard.
The question is, do you want to pay for it, they are expensive for the components.
The physical thing is beautiful though.

no if they could only take the look of a mbp, and the performance of an alienware or higher end dell and have it all together lol..

I disagree that Dells are of poor build quality, that myth has not proved true in my experience (knock on wood). I've bought and used many over the past three years with great success. Even the one time that the keyboard died (the employee swears he didn't spill anything in it) I contacted Dell and they had a replacement keyboard at my office the next day. I've been impressed with them. Apple too, but you pay that extra premium for the Apple name. The Mac notebooks tend to hold a good resale value for a bit longer compared to other brands.

may go with a dell haha, higer end maybe xps, i had a dell before my mobo died and within 17hrs they had sent someone over and replaced it for me :)

By poor build quality, I don't mean they fall apart. They are actually very solid machines.

But I mean construction tolerances, everything just fits together better on a lenovo, and it has a much more solid feel to it. Dells tend to have alot of flex in the casing and sometimes even in the screen

Back