• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How powerful of a machine for content filtering?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

Need to put together a content filtering machine, which will filter internet traffic for about 85 machines. Already purchased the software, just curious as to how this task will affect machine usage. P4 2.8N with 1GB of RAM good enough?

LMK, Thanks

What is the software? Most of the ones I have looked at give an idea of hardware needed for number of users.

I'd trust anything better than a 733 coppermine with 512 MB of RAM. I think what you have is more than enough for a good content blocking rig.

our sonicwall at work does our content filtering on a 2.4 ghz p4 prescott.

we have about 500 users hitting the net at random times.

What is the web filtering application?

If it is Websense or SurfControl, and you are using the logging and filtering features, then I would recommend no less than 2GB of memory. More than likely it will be using MSSQL for the database, so make sure the Max memory usage is no greater than 1GB (you can use the SQL2005 Express Manageer to set this). If you do not set this then SQL will consume more and more memory until it is maxed out. This will cause severe performance problems with the filtering.

What is the web filtering application?

If it is Websense or SurfControl, and you are using the logging and filtering features, then I would recommend no less than 2GB of memory. More than likely it will be using MSSQL for the database, so make sure the Max memory usage is no greater than 1GB (you can use the SQL2005 Express Manageer to set this). If you do not set this then SQL will consume more and more memory until it is maxed out. This will cause severe performance problems with the filtering.

Guys thanks so much for the response. The software is Websense. So I will definitely do what you recommended. Thanks!

Guys thanks so much for the response. The software is Websense. So I will definitely do what you recommended. Thanks!
No problem. :)

By the way, how are you identifying users? If it is through AD, make sure you used AD Native Mode for identification. I had nothing but nightmares trying to use NT/Mixed Mode... and for your sanity's sake use Native Mode. Lastly, for the group enumeration to work properly within AD, make sure you set the security groups to be Universal groups (not enterprise or domain); distribution groups won't work at all.

Back