• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(G92) 8800GTS 512mb thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

I just ordered one and newegg shipped it today.I hope i have it by Friday.But anyway I figured id start this thread to see what kind of performance you guy's are getting with these card's.I guess 8800GT owener should post here also .This way we can compare these two card 's and see if the guys that bought the (G92)GTS over the GT wasted our money.

Oh yeah and now i dont have to buy Crysis :beer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130312

Last edited:
Just got mine on Xmas eve, havent had a chance to start unleashing the beast yet as I'm still trying to get my new rig setup and stable.

I didnt get any games, but did get the OC version directly from the BFG store for $299. :)

Will post when I get her cranked up.

I've got an XFX 8800GTS 512 Alpha Dog and the card is incredible. I love the thing so much. It also overclocks like a beast. Stock, the card is 650/1625/972 (core/shader/memory) and now it's running at 800/1900/1075. My 3DMark score is held back by my CPU, but I still posted 11,447 3DMarks. These cards are amazing.

Right now I get ~11.5K in 3dmak06 at standard settings. Now, if you compare that to my 8800gts 320 I had it is right on par with it after ocing the 320. But, so far I'm still tweaking around some, I have had some issues after adding more memory sticks and had to up the voltage on both the memory and the cpu. So, far all seems fine, I'll give a few weeks then I'll try some ocing.

* Are you guys using the programs from the Sticky to OC your card or something else?
* When u run 3DMark loops for stability, is that an option only available to the full version and not the free DL?
* Im running Vista Home Premium x64 and am having trouble with RivaTunner(It worked great in XP and with my old 7900GTX), any suggestions as to what program I can used instead?

* Are you guys using the programs from the Sticky to OC your card or something else?
* When u run 3DMark loops for stability, is that an option only available to the full version and not the free DL?
* Im running Vista Home Premium x64 and am having trouble with RivaTunner(It worked great in XP and with my old 7900GTX), any suggestions as to what program I can used instead?

i use rivatunner on vista ultimate x64 works great, using the lastest one with the x64 sign driver that came with it, what are you having trouble with?

and yes on 3dmark loop need full version

Did not work at all. I had crashes and lock ups when I ran the program. Had no trouble with it when I used it on my 7900GTX.

Will have to re download and see about the proper version for my OS.

Thank you for the tip on 3DMark full version. I have only used the free one and didnt know that the full version had that option.

I'm debating whether to buy one of these with the free crysis deal going or to wait for next gen.

Forget the next gen. For two reasons really: The next gen won't be that big an improvement over the current one, and 2. The next gen won't be coming anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure Crysis was only invented to get people to upgrade their hardware. Every other game on the market runs amazingly well... in DX10 no less... with the standard hardware available.

Forget the next gen. For two reasons really: The next gen won't be that big an improvement over the current one, and 2. The next gen won't be coming anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure Crysis was only invented to get people to upgrade their hardware. Every other game on the market runs amazingly well... in DX10 no less... with the standard hardware available.

The G100 (or what NV actually calls it's next gen GPU) will be roughly 30-40% faster that the current
top end at release at the time (which should be the 9800GX2). That is the standard formula for both
ATI and NV. OC'ing can widen that delta. NV's next gen release timing will be driven by what ATI does
and I doubt you will see it before the middle to end of Q2 in 2008. If ATI looks like it can get a card into
the ball game with a card that can challenge NV earlier then the release will move up.

The 9800GX2 (2X G92's PCB's) is not next gen. It is a faster replacement for the now out of production
Ultra. It is a gap filler at the high end before the true next gens are released and to compete with ATI's
up coming dual GPU cards.

Games like Crysis drive the GFX card hardware market just like DOOM3 did 2 or 3 years ago. As game
maps, textures and shading become richer and more detailed the GPU horsepower needed to run them
at their top IQ levels at high resolution goes up. That is just the natural progression of games. They all
have a means to reduce games detail/IQ /Eye Candy for lower end or even the currently available top
end cards at release time.

Remember a game that is released today started developement 3-4 years ago. In order to lock in the
core code the game makers have to guess well in advance of a game final release as to the state of
what GFX card horsepower will be available when the game is actually released to the mass market.

Their is always a margin of error when ya have to use Crystal balls to take an educated guess of the
future. From the game makers point of view it is always better to to miss high and be able to reduce
a game graphics details/IQ/Eye Candy when/where needed than to miss low and have your game look
"Blah"/oh hum even when all in game GFX settings and eye candy are maxed out.

Viper

Last edited:
got my GTS g92 installed last night...what a difference
best run on my gts 640 = 12983
best run on my gtx 768 = 13922
stock run on g92 gts = 14389
700/1000 on g92 gts = 14642

over the next couple of weeks i will be trying for a better oc on my g92

these cards clock awesome, I have total stability at 777/1944/1053 in sli.

Almost exact same clocks here (EVGA) but no SLI. Well see what happens with an accelero S1. If it desn't improve my OC then maybe I'll be brave enough to Vmod this one. I'll hopefully do that tomorrw.

I can bench 3dm06 at 800/1944/1100 but no long term stability.

Got the BFG 8800GTS 512 installed today.

Stock settings on cpu and gpu.

3DMark06 - 12,475

Back