• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rivatuner + 8800GT, is there low power/ performance mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

So I just downloaded rivatuner and this is the first time using it (prefered ATI tool). So I went to overclock and went to 3d performance mode and overclocked. This changes 2d mode and automatically puts me into the overclocked state. How can I get it to set 2d settings and 3d performance settings so that it automatically switches between the two?

So I just downloaded rivatuner and this is the first time using it (prefered ATI tool). So I went to overclock and went to 3d performance mode and overclocked. This changes 2d mode and automatically puts me into the overclocked state. How can I get it to set 2d settings and 3d performance settings so that it automatically switches between the two?

2D/3D split clocks is broken in the 169.xx drivers. It could be just a "oops" it the driver code
or when NV gave the drivers the ability to run the core ROP and Shader clocks to run unlinked
it may not be possible (for now) to have both split 2D/3D clocks and the ability to have (versus
actually use) unlinked ROP/Shader clocks at the same time.

Viper

A side note: I tried to underclock the 2D which also means 3D...temps go down only 1C...so I doubt you can save much power or reduce temps.

Another side note: you can use riva tuner to detect 3d gaming. When detected, the standard or overclocks could kick in. Once you leave the game, you can have it so that the underclocks apply.

A side note: I tried to underclock the 2D which also means 3D...temps go down only 1C...so I doubt you can save much power or reduce temps.

Another side note: you can use riva tuner to detect 3d gaming. When detected, the standard or overclocks could kick in. Once you leave the game, you can have it so that the underclocks apply.

You can use RT's to create One Click shortcuts that will clock the card up, start the game and then
clock the card back down when you exit the game if you want. There is a bit of a learning curve in
creating the OCS's but once you "get it" it is easy.

Viper

Is there any power savings underclocking the GT?
I hear the processor of the GT (i think) making some 'processing' hissing noise when i downclock. It's annoying - i wonder if anyone else hears it?

Another 2D underclock trick would be to underclock when the temps of the core falls, and to overclock if temps go up. It's a good use of the temp changes on the card :)

Is there any power savings underclocking the GT?
I hear the processor of the GT (i think) making some 'processing' hissing noise when i downclock. It's annoying - i wonder if anyone else hears it?

Another 2D underclock trick would be to underclock when the temps of the core falls, and to overclock if temps go up. It's a good use of the temp changes on the card :)

In 2D mode under clocking the card will get you almost nothing as far as heat
reduction and power saving as the GPU is running with very little load.

Viper

Update: my temps fall from 53C to 48C if I underclock to 300/756 from 600/900.
As long as i don't damage the card, i might consider adding this underclocking to the RT profile.

lol
I'd take some heat for more silence any day. When fans crank up, I can't hear it anyway because of the speakers.

Update: Tried the underclocking based on temps, but it's too slow. It takes a while for the game to ramp up the temps, so the slow performance at the start is noticable.
Might be best to add a hot key for underclocking i.e. when leaving the pc on to download overnight.

lol
I'd take some heat for more silence any day. When fans crank up, I can't hear it anyway because of the speakers.

Update: Tried the underclocking based on temps, but it's too slow. It takes a while for the game to ramp up the temps, so the slow performance at the start is noticable.
Might be best to add a hot key for underclocking i.e. when leaving the pc on to download overnight.

A pretty good thread on underclocking: I like the idea of underclocking not to the minimum, but somewhere in the middle:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=227720

Also, rivatuner has a hardware server that you can have load up on boot. This can detect 3d gaming. It's better to use 3d acceleration detection for underclocking. the server is pretty cool for monitoring FPS too...for testing purposes :)

Back