• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Smartphone for Media?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jedi Mind Trick

I'm looking at buying a smartphone- mainly for music, web-browsing, etc.
can anyone suggest one with firsthand experience? Also, it needs to be available on the AT&T Network.

Phones in Mind already:

Samsung Blackjack II (played with one of these today, but didn't have time to really look it at).
Motorola Q9
HTC Tilt
Blackberry Curve
Blackberry 8820/30

Being completely honest, my iPhone has been a beautiful performer in all of that. Given the 4gb of space (I got a refurb 4gb, and they also have the 8gb model), as well as safari built in, plus the unlimited data transfer, it's absolutely perfect.

I have had a few quirks happen with my Q9M but as soon as I rebooted it, they went away.

Be sure to get a SD card for it as the internal memory is rather limited.

I am still trying to work out how to get the registry unlocked on mine so that I can finish tweaking it BUT overall I am very happy with the phone and have had no complaints.

i think im going to go with the blackberry 8820 or 8830. according to the at&t's website stats on the phones its their only smartphone that is wifi capable (minus the iphone).

Being a owner of the iPhone myself, I'm going to have to say steer away from it until a few more updates and maybe another revision release.

At the moment with the current 1.1.2 firmware, you cant send picture messages, no recording videos even though the camera is capable of it, no flash support in safari, and no bluetooth.

And only EDGE internet on it as of the "problem" of power consumption of the 3G chips. iPhones with the 3G chips installed are expected to be released some time this year...

for 400$, i'd definately steer toward the blackjack or one of the crackberrys.

Being a owner of the iPhone myself, I'm going to have to say steer away from it until a few more updates and maybe another revision release.

At the moment with the current 1.1.2 firmware, you cant send picture messages, no recording videos even though the camera is capable of it, no flash support in safari, and no bluetooth.

And only EDGE internet on it as of the "problem" of power consumption of the 3G chips. iPhones with the 3G chips installed are expected to be released some time this year...

for 400$, i'd definately steer toward the blackjack or one of the crackberrys.

All things which are expected to be fixed in coming firmware updates, sans the 3G. But, being honest, I really haven't had issues with any of those things you mentioned. They have a workaround for sending MMS (though I never do that anyways), I've never had the need to record video, flash support has been a bit desired in Safari, but given that this is a mobile phone, it doesn't really have extreme amounts of processing power. Some pages I've been to have been so loaded with flash crap here and there that it lags my desktop. There is bluetooth, and it works with my Jabra headset.

Treo 680

OS might be outdated but It won't crash on you like windows mobile. I had SO many problems with all the win mobile phones I had. Once you deviate from the installed software and start installing your own it slows down and crashes all the time.

fyi blackberrys cause interference with any device with a speaker. its very annoying. I have to put mine in another room when I play guitar.

fyi blackberrys cause interference with any device with a speaker. its very annoying. I have to put mine in another room when I play guitar.

That generally seems to be any phone, really. Of the 4 i've had, they have all done that, ranging from a cheap $1 phone when signing up, to my iPhone.

Back