• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

picture view in folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I'm running Vista Ultimate, but this problem has happened to me on XP also. I have a bunch of folders with pictures in them. Typically one should be able to open the folder and each file has a tile icon that is a preview of the picture. But for some reason Windows just uses the generic "this is a picture file" icon instead of the individual preview. I've tried re-associating the picture files with Windows Preview but to no avail. Does anyone know how to get it back to showing the picture preview in the icon?

The module "shimgvw.dll" was loaded but entry-point DllRegisterService was not found. Make sure that "shimgvw.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

That's the error I get from trying to follow your instructions.

So as a follow up attempt to activate shimgvw.dll, I tried to replace it with a copy downloaded from microsoft. I ran into privliege issues with Vista telling me that I don't have permission to modify the system32 folder. So I finally decided to kill UAC in Vista so that I might not be so annoyed when using my computer. Rebooted, and still don't have permission. I try to give myself permissions in the security tab and it tells me I don't have permission to give myself (computer administrator) permissions. So what can I do?

In Windows Explorer when you click the "Organize" button | Folder and Search Options | "View" tab | "Advanced settings"--> Files and Folders, is "Always show icons, never thumbnails" checked?

I can't believe it was something as easy as that, redduc. I apologize for wasting forum space with a question that has an answer as easy as that. Thanks for the ownership tips too, audioaficionado.

Back