• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C vs. Abit ST6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dscline

Registered
I just ordered the GA-6OXET-C from AxionTech, which listed it as "limited availability". I'm still interested in getting any feedback anyone has, since it may prove to be out of stock. This was a pretty tough decision for me. It has the higher divisors for PCI/AGP busses, along with more voltage tweaking for the ram/agp, while the ST6 has a much more proven track record. I'm going to be currently running it with my P3 700@933+, and 384MB of Kingmax pc150 (which unfortunately is in 3 separate 128MB dimms). I do plan to upgrade to a Tualatin celery to hopefully get around 1.6Ghz. I consider socket370 & SDR memory to be a somewhat dead-end platform, so I doubt I will see any more upgrades in that system after that.

Any input and experience on the pros/cons of these two boards would be greatly appreciated.

When using the Gigabyte GA-60XET make sure you flash to the F9d bios off Gigabytes web site....Otherwise you will not have divider control! I'm running the XET right now and it's running fine....

would like to see how the XET-C and the ST6 rates against each other. Run that chip to overload and see how those dividers will fair out. It will probably have the edge then if you run a very insane fsb and the PCI components still stay in check.

The XET-C should be fine for OCers who are a little unsafe of the wire trick or wouldn't bother for it. The ST6 works fine, and since most people running the Celly pairs it up with the ST6, I'm glad I own the ST6. Thanks ol man for straightening me out. Wire tricking should be part of the OCing experience!

:D

I would say with a wiretricked celery 1.2GHz .13u the ST6 should fair very well against the GA-60XET but at 160+FSB's the GB board will show its true worth. The GA-60XET has some how came up with a hack or something where the dividers are called pll16,pll20, pll24, pll32 and pll40. WHich give 1/4, 1/5, 1/6,1/2 and 1/3 dividers respectfully. Nopt sure why they did not call the dividers by there true names but they did not. Personally I feel one should get a 1GHz celery and hit 160+ fsb with it if they can. It would be the fastest setting! Otherwise the 1266 PIII-s chip at 160+ fsb would suffice too:) But that chip at that fsb would probably smoke most XP's and PIV's so that would not be good:)

ol' man said:
I would say with a wiretricked celery 1.2GHz .13u the ST6 should fair very well against the GA-60XET but at 160+FSB's the GB board will show its true worth. The GA-60XET has some how came up with a hack or something where the dividers are called pll16,pll20, pll24, pll32 and pll40. WHich give 1/4, 1/5, 1/6,1/2 and 1/3 dividers respectfully. Nopt sure why they did not call the dividers by there true names but they did not. Personally I feel one should get a 1GHz celery and hit 160+ fsb with it if they can. It would be the fastest setting! Otherwise the 1266 PIII-s chip at 160+ fsb would suffice too:) But that chip at that fsb would probably smoke most XP's and PIV's so that would not be good:)

Amen! i will threaten with my life if necessary to get PIII-S 1.26 as my Chinese New year present:D although it is still some time from now, but we will see. Oh, i will ask my friend's celeron 1.0 to test the true power of XET-C next week, will inform u guys the result.

:( I ordered my XET-C already!! And it is on its way to my front door, i do't want to return the board, it is just too much of pain and troble!! anyway, i am getting an Audigy, so i should not loss much if i keep the C version. but i am still happy for those luck enough to get XET, just a day late, and i ended up with XET-C.
well, maybe some good ol' beer will easy the pain:beer:

Last edited:
You'll be right....The differences between the XET and the XET-C are so negligable (especially with an Audgy! I'm using a live! as it is) that they aren't even worth loosing sleep over....And the lack of duel bios and onboard Creative sound makes the board cheaper....

Hi again. I'm trying to decide between these boards as well. My plan is a Tualeron 1.0A, 150 FSB, 1.5 GHz. I've seen fairly poor results of the C1.2's making it to 1.6, and I expect the 1.0A's will be the same. I highly doubt that a 160 FSB, 1/5 PCI divider will be needed with my setup. It is a nice feature, but I don't think I'll need it. I've owned Abit boards (still have a BH6) and have been happy with them. Gigabyte is a new one for me. Rumors that they are discontinuing the board doesn't make me feel great about it. Abit has always been good about BIOS updates which can give a boad more longevity. How is Gigabyte in this respect? I don't need the extra features of either board, so the non Raid and the -C versions would do just fine. Price is not an issue either. One feature that I do want is more than 2 USB ports, 4 is a minimum. I read up on the Gigabyte and I have to say, it looks like an incredible board, but for my setup, do I really gain anything over the ST6?

Thanks for any advise!

oldfart said:
Hi again. I'm trying to decide between these boards as well. My plan is a Tualeron 1.0A, 150 FSB, 1.5 GHz. I've seen fairly poor results of the C1.2's making it to 1.6, and I expect the 1.0A's will be the same. I highly doubt that a 160 FSB, 1/5 PCI divider will be needed with my setup. It is a nice feature, but I don't think I'll need it. I've owned Abit boards (still have a BH6) and have been happy with them. Gigabyte is a new one for me. Rumors that they are discontinuing the board doesn't make me feel great about it. Abit has always been good about BIOS updates which can give a boad more longevity. How is Gigabyte in this respect? I don't need the extra features of either board, so the non Raid and the -C versions would do just fine. Price is not an issue either. One feature that I do want is more than 2 USB ports, 4 is a minimum. I read up on the Gigabyte and I have to say, it looks like an incredible board, but for my setup, do I really gain anything over the ST6?

Thanks for any advise!

If you don't plan to reach high fsbs, say 140+, I don't think you'll notice a difference between the ST6 and the XET-C. I guess it is only for such hardcore enthusiasts that want every grain of speed they can obtain will they find the XET-C much more friendly, as it utilizes the 1/5 and 1/6 dividers.

Hmm, Fluid will definitely recommend the XET-C since he's had great success with it so far, and he adores those EXCLUSIVE features. A definite legit reason to be bias I say :D Anyways, both boards are capable of a relatively nice OC if you can manage it to get that high. First thing I would recommend you is to get the ST6, especially since you've had success with ABit. Although, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go over to Gigabyte. If you require voltage higher than 1.6, the gigabyte will save you the trouble of doing the vmod, unlike the ABit. My bias would tell you to go with ABit, but I'd like to see how the gigabyte does.

I agree with Bonka....In the end, the choice is up to you, they're both nice, very well constructed boards....I do find the ability to change vcores in the bios very handy though....

Have fun dude!

BTW....When I bought my XET a few months ago it came boxed with 2 more USB ports that plug into the mobo and mount into the rear of the case in one of the expansion slots....If things are still the same I would say the XET comes with 4 USB ports standard....2 on the board and 2 additional that plug into the board and mount in the rear....

Last edited:
Flu!d said:
BTW....When I bought my XET a few months ago it came boxed with 2 more USB ports that plug into the mobo and mount into the rear of the case in one of the expansion slots....If things are still the same I would say the XET comes with 4 USB ports standard....2 on the board and 2 additional that plug into the board and mount in the rear....

This is also found on the ABit as well. 4USB's should be standard nowadays.

Hi,
I'm also thinking of buying Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C or Abit ST6.
Actually I'm about to sell my ABitBE6 and SB live value. THese
two boards both have ob sound chip. GB has creative and Abit
has AC97. I'm planning to use the ob sound and I'm curious abuot the sound they'll give. I play games and listen to music by my 2 big 50W sony speakers on sony music set . I don't have a 5.1 system and a DVD so I think I'll be ok with ob sound. Am I correct? If you use these
boards can you give some advice.
I'm leaning towards GB bc it's sound card is Creative which I suppose is a lot better than AC97.
Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C is 80$ and Abit ST6 raid is 89$. I'm still trying to find out which to buy.
Ps: I'm using my cel600@900 and I don't suppose these boards will give me any
trouble with that. I'm planning to buy a celeron 1A when it's price lowers to around 60$. And I hopping to work it at 150 fsb.

nucro said:
Hi,
has AC97. I'm planning to use the ob sound and I'm curious abuot the sound they'll give. I play games and listen to music by my 2 big 50W sony speakers on sony music set . I don't have a 5.1 system and a DVD so I think I'll be ok with ob sound. Am I correct? If you use these
I'm leaning towards GB bc it's sound card is Creative which I suppose is a lot better than AC97.
Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C is 80$ and Abit ST6 raid is 89$. I'm still trying to find out which to buy.
trouble with that. I'm planning to buy a celeron 1A when it's price lowers to around 60$. And I hopping to work it at 150 fsb.

You're better off with a PCI soundcard. Onboard sucks overall, even worse if you plan to OC to high fsbs. Anyway, the XET-C and ST6 comes with AC97 onboard audio, NOT the Creative CT5880 onboard audio. That is found on the XET only.

If I remember correctly, the AC97 codec is essentially a 16bit soundcard. Nothing fancy. THink of it as Soundblaster 16. The Creative onboard found on the XET is the soundblaster 128. Just a notch higher.

nucro said:
Hi,

The ac97 on the ST6 cuts out around 145fsb. I thgen put in a SBlive and all was well again to 167fsb.

Bonka said:

You're better off with a PCI soundcard. Onboard sucks overall, even worse if you plan to OC to high fsbs. Anyway, the XET-C and ST6 comes with AC97 onboard audio, NOT the Creative CT5880 onboard audio. That is found on the XET only.

I'm spaking of GA-6OXET-C and it has Creative CT5880 see: link

Why does the ob sound crap at high fsb's? at the pci speed is only 36.2

nucro said:

Why does the ob sound crap at high fsb's? at the pci speed is only 36.2

If you give me your IP number I may be able to hack your system to get that :D Otherwise your link is very dead!

nucro said:

In baby blue, it states:

* Another model is also available : GA-6OXET-C
All specification are the same with GA-6OXET, except w/ 3DIMMs, w/ AC97, w/single BIOS, w/o STR,CNR and CT5880.

WITH AC97 for XET-C.

Back